News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

WARNING: D&D TALK

Started by Cramulus, November 14, 2008, 04:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Wins?

Demi-Lich
21 (67.7%)
Tarrasque
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

PopeTom

Quote from: GA on October 06, 2009, 10:47:17 PM
The major difference between 4e and M:TG there is that M:TG has over 10k cards, which can be played in any combination, and so many of them outright break the rules of the game - everything from altering the win condition to changing the way blocking damage is assigned.  So to extend the analogy, 4e is like magic where you can only have one copy of each card in your deck (except for lands and one-drops), every deck must consist entirely of cards from one color and block, and no more than 3 of your cards can do things other than "be a creature" and "affect a creature." 

Or to extend the analogy in another way 4e is like MT:G where 5 players use their cards to work towards a common goal rather than beat each other over the head until one of them is 'dead'.  To do this the rules are changed so that while players have less cards available to them in their decks they can cast any card they want at anytime (no random deck draws) without mana cost.  Some cards can be cast over and over again, others can only be used once per challange on the way to accheiving the goal, and yet others can only be used once before achieving the goal.  The common goal they work towards is crafted by an additional player who has his/her own deck of special cards that don't quite follow the same rules as the player's cards do.

The existing multi-class options allow a character to play with more that 'a single color deck'.  PH3 will introduce hybrid characters that will allow a player to mix and match two class from level one onwards.  PH3 will also introduce Skill Powers that any character trained in a skill can take in place of a class utility power.

In other words, I wouldn't have liked MTG until after it was a mature game.

MT:G started off very broken.  While they had the basic elements (lands, summoning creatures, tapping, etc) there what each color did wasn't well defined, if defined at all.  The game has aged well though I think and learning lessons from it is not a bad thing.

If every class had options comparable to what the casters in 3.x had, and I expect as the number of supplements approaches A Lot this will eventually happen, I probably would eventually switch.  (Well, actually, I'm trying to find a group to play HeroSystem with, since the level of customization and modularity in that game is far, far beyond anything I've encountered so far while still having a GM instead of a "Storyteller.")

It was a trade off. To bring some classes up others needed to brought down. In this regards I think they found a good middle ground.

I also think the spell caster classes were more broken up than totally depowered.  Rather than having a swiss-army wizard or cleric a player now has to decide which aspect of those classes they would like to play and picks a class accordingly.

I like my systems convoluted and arcane; it's magic, it's supposed to be wonky.

Wonky in regards to the world the characters live in is fine.  wonky in regards to the rules system the players are using to access that world I'm not a fan of.

-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

PopeTom

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 06, 2009, 11:34:29 PM

Is CRAP.  "Thievery" is ONE SKILL. 

So, gathering info,

This would be a Streetwise, Diplomacy, or Intimidate skill check in most cases.  I can imagine sometimes Bluff may be used as well.

cooking the books,

This is the Bluff skill

moving silently,

Stealth

and disarming a trap

This is actually Thievery, but you'll probably need to pass a Perception check at some point too.

Though in 4th Ed. the DM is encouraged to make traps part of an encounter with monsters rather than wandering damage to soak up, heal up, and move on from.  So rather than a single skill check the character with Thievery would engage in a Skill Challenge to disarm the trap while the rest of the party either directly helps or indirectly help (by holding off the monsters).

are all the exact same thing.

Have you read 4th Ed. rules at all?

Fighters heal themselves.

Explain what Hit Points are to me, I imagine you have it wrong.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Hail Eris!

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PopeTom on October 07, 2009, 12:07:04 AM

Hit points are a combination of physical toughness, skill, luck, the ability to roll with a hit, etc.

Now fuck off you little turd.  I have minis that are older than you are.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

PopeTom

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 07, 2009, 02:56:03 AM
Quote from: PopeTom on October 07, 2009, 12:07:04 AM

Hit points are a combination of physical toughness, skill, luck, the ability to roll with a hit, etc.

Correct, color me surprised as people who complain about 'Fighters healing themselves' usually have no idea to what level HP actually abstract damage.

Now explain why Fighters getting some of their hit points back using a power called 'Second Wind' is bad?

If all HP are not a representation of physical damage then it stands to reason that a Fighter should have a limited ability to get some back solely through a surge of adrenalin and/or findING the will within themselves to fight on.  They still do not have nearly the healing options of a class that falls under the Leader role and therefore would be wise to bring one along with them on their adventure.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 07, 2009, 02:56:03 AM
Now fuck off you little turd.  I have minis that are older than you are.

Big woop, none of those minis had anything to do with D&D
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

Requia ☣

Because fighters don't heal.  Fighters hit things.  Sometimes they break or throw things instead.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 07, 2009, 06:47:16 AM
Because fighters don't heal.  Fighters hit things.  Sometimes they break or throw things instead.

Unless, y'know, they happened to be carrying a potion.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

PopeTom

If HP represent more than just physical damage then there are more ways to get them back than magically healing physical damage.

If there are more ways to get them back than through magic healing then those ways can be spread out among all the classes.  Though if you want the most efficient/effective healing you still need a Leader (Cleric, Bard, Warlord, or Shaman).

In the PHB the Fighter has a total of 7 healing powers, the Cleric however has 23.  The Fighter's powers are based on finding extra reserves to fight on despite wounds, weariness, and/or loss of moral.  The Fighter's healing powers also only affect the fighter.  The Cleric's powers on the other hand not only heal for all the same reasons that the fighter's do but also add in healing due to divine magic, ie. a character's wounds closing or the exhaustion of battle washing away completely allowing an ally to fight on.  The Cleric's powers affect  anyone on the Cleric's side in a fight.  I've underlined the major difference between the two, the Fighter's best option to help the Wizard is still to get between the Wizard and the bad guys.

The Cleric, or any other Leader class, has not been replaced because the Fighter can restore some of his/her own Hit Points.
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

Richter

For muliperson tabletop / computer, I definitely agree.  Keeps more group reliance, and more distinct characterization. 
If people want to play different, their business then.     

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

I liked the 4e shift to "everybody can heal themselves a little bit, but with the cleric's help, they can heal themselves better"

the cleric / warlord / shaman / bard is still very necessary, but they don't have to spend all their time playing a support role. In other editions, playing a healer was kind of like taking the bullet for your party. While they're doing the glorious monster slaying, trap disarming, etc, you're ... buffing them? hey, when do you get the spotlight?

"ahhh I just took 100 points of damage, cleric, come save me so I can keep fighting!"
"ah shit, I was just about to cast Flame Strike, but I guess I can heal you instead. Get a better AC you meat sack!"   :argh!:

On the other hand, the new conception of healer as "leader", is a lot of fun to play. As a warlord, you're constantly shifting your party members around the battle field, giving party members healing or buffs when you hit. You definitely don't feel like you're riding in the back seat.

PopeTom

Quote from: Cramulus on October 07, 2009, 02:30:59 PM
I liked the 4e shift to "everybody can heal themselves a little bit, but with the cleric's help, they can heal themselves better"

I like that 4th has pretty much eliminated the party lugging around a Bag of Holding full of Wands of Cure Light Wounds to top everyone off during/after combat.
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PopeTom on October 07, 2009, 06:20:19 AM

Correct, color me surprised as people who complain about 'Fighters healing themselves' usually have no idea to what level HP actually abstract damage.

Yeah, that was explained to me during my first game in 1977, when I pointed out that a 3rd level fighter would be physically tougher than an elephant.

Now, again, fuck off.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

I dislike systems that provide to much abstraction of damage. In my opinion, in a system, damage should literally represent physical damage. If you want said system to represent psychological status as well, this should be done seperately. It isnt that difficult to imagine that aspects of psychology could provide certain advantages, and disadvantages in combat.

Basically, I do not dislike the concept of psychological damage, but I dont like the concept of HP representing anything further than physical status. In fact, HP alone has been my major gripe with D&D (and similar games) for many years. My current barbarian, for example, can be hit in the head with an axe a very good of times... and within a week he's completely forgotten these brutal axe wounds. I'd rather a wounding system, where damage dealt is actually significant.

Burning Wheel, for me, has everything required for a decent sword and sorcery campaign. A better combat system, more immersive character creation, much better sense of realism, better concept of damage (not to mention wounding, and age), skills that improve through use (as opposed to an arbitrary assignment of points), and accomplishes everything that 4rth ed tries to do.

4th edition is a complete retooling of the franchise to attempt to appeal to a changing market. IMO, IT DOES THE SAME THING THAT THE NEW STAR TREK MOVIE DID. Not to mention that I was pretty pissed at the race selection. I still play 3.5, and I still enjoy the game. Its also not hard to adapt the D20 Call of Cthulhu stuff to 3.5, but youd be hard pressed to do it with D&D. All that D20 system era stuff is pretty mix and match, although much of it is crap.

Also, I'd still like to get a chance to play Midnight, if I can ever find a copy of the book.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 07, 2009, 03:11:16 PM
Quote from: PopeTom on October 07, 2009, 06:20:19 AM

Yeah, that was explained to me during my first game in 1977, when I pointed out that a 3rd level fighter would be physically tougher than an elephant.

These abstractions can be pretty hilarious sometimes. For example, its fun to pit first level characters against mundane creatures. (like housecats).

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Personally, ever since 4th Edition came out I have made a point of not buying any Wizards of The Coast products. I will never buy another one of their products again (unless it is a previously used product that they therefore would not profit from (the sale of) anyway. (...Hey, why should I suffer just because I'm boycotting a company?...) I have actually bought a more expensive copy of some WoTC products on Amazon.com because all of the cheaper copies were new!).   :argh!:

I seriously hope that they go out of business  :crankey: :nuke:
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago