Previous topic - Next topic

Who Wins?

Demi-Lich
21 (67.7%)
Tarrasque
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Also, even if the new system was better, (and I don't think that it is) it wouldn't change the fact that the release of 4e so soon after 3.5e was a huge betrayal of their (in many cases formerly) loyal customers, an act of undisguised greed, and effectively an admission that they have abandoned all pretense of caring about or respecting the consumer.

I had expected better from them; I really did....
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

PopeTom

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 08, 2009, 02:00:43 AM
some things.

Baseless nerd rage noted.

Why didn't this nerd rage start when 3.5 was release only 3 years after 3.0 was released?
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, even if the new system was better, (and I don't think that it is) it wouldn't change the fact that the release of 4e so soon after 3.5e was a huge betrayal of their (in many cases formerly) loyal customers, an act of undisguised greed, and effectively an admission that they have abandoned all pretense of caring about or respecting the consumer.

I had expected better from them; I really did....

One word:  Hasbro.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PopeTom on October 08, 2009, 04:40:39 AM
some things.

Why didn't this nerd rage start when 3.5 was release only 3 years after 3.0 was released?

3.5 was more of a correction.  It wasn't a fundamental change, and all my 3.0 stuff basically worked with 3.5 without the need for major re-writes.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 08, 2009, 01:53:52 AM
Personally, ever since 4th Edition came out I have made a point of not buying any Wizards of The Coast products. I will never buy another one of their products again (unless it is a previously used product that they therefore would not profit from (the sale of) anyway. (...Hey, why should I suffer just because I'm boycotting a company?...) I have actually bought a more expensive copy of some WoTC products on Amazon.com because all of the cheaper copies were new!).   :argh!:

I seriously hope that they go out of business  :crankey: :nuke:

Check out Paizo's pathfinder "3.75".  Totally back compatible with 3.5, and cleaned up a BUNCH.  They even made grapple work easily.

http://paizo.com/paizo

PopeTom

Quote from: Z³ on October 08, 2009, 01:42:36 AM
My current barbarian, for example, can be hit in the head with an axe a very good of times... and within a week he's completely forgotten these brutal axe wounds. I'd rather a wounding system, where damage dealt is actually significant.

That's the point of the abstraction though.  A hit with an attack roll does not directly translate to a physical hit on your character.  Sometimes it's your luck running out, sometimes it's barely getting out of the way but you are now in a less tenable position, or sometimes it's just your character being overwhelmed by the dire situation he/she is in.  It is not that hard to work into the narration of combat to the point where over the span of a fight there are only one or two solid hits that do physical damage to the character.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Hail Eris!

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2009, 04:43:40 AM
Personally, ever since 4th Edition came out I have made a point of not buying any Wizards of The Coast products. I will never buy another one of their products again (unless it is a previously used product that they therefore would not profit from (the sale of) anyway. (...Hey, why should I suffer just because I'm boycotting a company?...) I have actually bought a more expensive copy of some WoTC products on Amazon.com because all of the cheaper copies were new!).   :argh!:

Check out Paizo's pathfinder "3.75".  Totally back compatible with 3.5, and cleaned up a BUNCH.  They even made grapple work easily.

Pathfinder is awesome.  Only played the beta version though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 08, 2009, 04:54:10 AM

The full release is WAY better.  CMB got totally redone, and it works, now.  Spellcraft IDs items instead of appraise.  Cleave got fixed.  Races got fixed...but half-orcs got SHAFTED.

Also, you pick your preferred class, it's not race driven.

PopeTom

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2009, 04:42:10 AM
some things.

3.5 was more of a correction.  It wasn't a fundamental change, and all my 3.0 stuff basically worked with 3.5 without the need for major re-writes.

What things do you feel need a major rewrite for 4th?  A lot of the basics have already been rewritten for 4th by Wizards of the Coast.
Most of what's left over isn't too difficult to convert by tweaking already existing rules/powers.

Keep in mind that part of the goal of 4th was to remove 'save or die' situations and 'I win buttons'.
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PopeTom on October 08, 2009, 04:57:42 AM
some things.

What things do you feel need a major rewrite for 4th?  A lot of the basics have already been rewritten for 4th by Wizards of the Coast.
Most of what's left over isn't too difficult to convert by tweaking already existing rules/powers.

Keep in mind that part of the goal of 4th was to remove 'save or die' situations and 'I win buttons'.

Compared to 2nd ed, 3.5 already fixed that shit.  The goal of 4th was to sell core rulebooks yet again, and to design the game to require (or almost require) add-ons like power cards, etc.

The ultimate insult was the "D&D insider", where they proudly announced that you now had the privilege of paying $10/month for FAQs, etc, that were up to that point free.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2009, 05:00:46 AM
The ultimate insult was the "D&D insider", where they proudly announced that you now had the privilege of paying $10/month for FAQs, etc, that were up to that point free.

Now I remember what actually pissed me off about the transition.  I used to read (or at least check) the articles on their website as part of my daily routine before that.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

PopeTom

Compared to 2nd ed, 3.5 already fixed that shit. 

Save or die starts off pretty much at 1st level.

Color Spray
Entangle (depending on how difficult a DC 20 Strength or Escape Artist check would be)
Hypnotism
Sleep

I Win Buttons are usually a higher level caster though the various Detect <Alignment> spells can be a bit of a lesser I Win Button depending on the kind of campaign/adventure.  A Human spiked chain trip Fighter(1st level) or Monk(2nd level) can be an I Win Button early on.

The goal of 4th was to sell core rulebooks yet again, and to design the game to require (or almost require) add-ons like power cards, etc.

You can run a decent D&D game with the three core books, you need no other books, special cards, or subscription to DDI.

Dungeon offers DM advice and adventures, Dragon offers Player advice, additional feats and powers for published classes, and fully playable previews of upcoming content.

A DDI subscription gives you access to the Character Builder which not only does all the math for your character but prints out all your powers on 'cards' so you don't need to go buy anything extra.  It also gives you access to the Adventure Tools which right now is only the Monster builder.  From a DMs perspective though the Monster Builder is the best thing ever.  Not only does it easily allow a DM to adjust the level of any monster presented in any official D&D content it also allows you to cut and paste monster powers so you can easily build custom creatures.  You can then copy the adjusted/custom monster stat block and paste it into a Word document for easy reference at the game table.

And here's the neat thing, you really only need to have one DDI subscriber in your group for everyone to benefit.  Though I would imagine in most cases this would be the DM. If $10 per month it too much for one person to bear than a gaming group of 5 (4 players 1 DM) could chip in $2 per month per person.  If I was playing in a 4th Ed. group I'd gladly give my DM $2 a month to access just the tools alone and make the game experience a lot easier for everyone playing.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by FAQs in this case but rules updates still seem to be free for all.
-PopeTom

Hail Eris!

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: PopeTom on October 08, 2009, 04:57:42 AM
some things.

Compared to 2nd ed, 3.5 already fixed that shit.  The goal of 4th was to sell core rulebooks yet again, and to design the game to require (or almost require) add-ons like power cards, etc.

EXACTLY!

And if I ever have the urge to deal with that kind of Macchiavellian bullshit I can play Paranoia XP :fnord: instead. That way I only have to pretend to bow down to faceless and evil manipulators...
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 08, 2009, 04:55:38 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on October 08, 2009, 04:54:10 AM

The full release is WAY better.  CMB got totally redone, and it works, now.  Spellcraft IDs items instead of appraise.  Cleave got fixed.  Races got fixed...but half-orcs got SHAFTED.

Also, you pick your preferred class, it's not race driven.
Half orcs have always been shafted.  Its pretty much a requirement.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: PopeTom on October 08, 2009, 05:49:33 AM
And here's the neat thing, you really only need to have one DDI subscriber in your group for everyone to benefit.  Though I would imagine in most cases this would be the DM. If $10 per month it too much for one person to bear than a gaming group of 5 (4 players 1 DM) could chip in $2 per month per person.  If I was playing in a 4th Ed. group I'd gladly give my DM $2 a month to access just the tools alone and make the game experience a lot easier for everyone playing.

I'd argue that Dragon is/was (don't know how it looks now) much more useful.  I don't remember how much a subscription was, but it was a lot less that $120 a year.  At most 1/3 that.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.