News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Mystery of Saturn's northern aurora

Started by Cain, November 14, 2008, 09:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Scientists say the northern lights on Saturn are unlike anything they've ever seen, on Earth or elsewhere in the solar system. Infrared imagery from the Cassini orbiter, released today to accompany research published in the journal Nature, only adds to the mystery at the top of the ringed planet.

Saturn's north pole is already home to a bizarre six-sided cyclone that planetary scientists haven't yet figured out. That observation marked the first time a hexagon had been seen in atmospheric patterns. The northern auroral displays, monitored by Cassini's visual and infrared mapping spectrometer, also go against the conventional wisdom.

On Earth and Jupiter, for instance, astronomers are used to seeing auroral arcs or rings of light - which glow when energetic particles stream along a planet's magnetic field and interact with the atmosphere. The auroras on Earth, also known as the northern or southern lights, are sparked by the solar wind. Jupiter's main auroral ring is powered by the planet's own magnetic processes.

Saturn's main auroral ring, like Earth's, is caused by the solar wind. But the newly observed infrared displays go all over the place.

"We've never seen an aurora like this elsewhere," the University of Leicester's Tom Stallard, lead author of the Nature paper, said today in a NASA news release. "It's not just a ring of aurorae like those we've seen at Jupiter or Earth. This one covers an enormous area across the pole. Our current ideas on what forms Saturn's aurorae predict that this region should be empty, so finding such a bright one here is a fantastic surprise."

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/11/12/1671310.aspx

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't know what to say to this other than it's motherfucking awesome.

Saturn has always been one of my favorite planets.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Payne

I love how often science is often completely stumped by phenomena in what is comparatively our backyard.

UNRELATED:

According to the news on wikipedia, some astronomers have visual confirmation of extra-solar planets too, which I think is hella cool.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Payne on November 14, 2008, 09:47:10 PM
I love how often science is often completely stumped by phenomena in what is comparatively our backyard.

UNRELATED:

According to the news on wikipedia, some astronomers have visual confirmation of extra-solar planets too, which I think is hella cool.

I heard that on the BBC this morning as well. AKAIK they are all gas giants.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Dysfunctional Cunt

Kai

Quote from: Ratatosk on November 14, 2008, 09:52:41 PM

UNRELATED:

I thought that was confirmed years ago?

Maybe this means direct visual confirmation, as in, actual photographs of the planets rather than indirect visuals by stellar motions.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on November 14, 2008, 10:30:53 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on November 14, 2008, 09:52:41 PM

UNRELATED:

I thought that was confirmed years ago?

Maybe this means direct visual confirmation, as in, actual photographs of the planets rather than indirect visuals by stellar motions.

That is precisely correct. Up to this point, they had predictions based on measurable gravitational effects. Now, they've cross linked a couple telescopes and actually caught tiny points of light that have moved in an expected orbit. They're now working on analyzing the specific light frequencies involved to better understand what's there.

Apparently, there's some talk of looking for life, by seeking chlorophyll reflected light from distant planets based on some of the work they've done with these telescopes (it's Hubble and a terrestrial one that I don't  remember the name of)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

Ack.

I hate how people expect life on other planets to turn out exactly the same way ours did with little variation.

Chlorophyl..... :x
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kai

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 15, 2008, 12:10:07 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 14, 2008, 09:39:25 PM

OFUK ITS THE PROTOSS

My life for Aiur!
                                       /

Vene

Quote from: Kai on November 14, 2008, 11:14:05 PM
Ack.

I hate how people expect life on other planets to turn out exactly the same way ours did with little variation.

Oh thank fuck I'm not the only one.  I actually think that if we run into extraterrestrial life we won't even recognize it as an organism.

Kai

Quote from: Vene on November 15, 2008, 01:35:29 AM
Ack.

Oh thank fuck I'm not the only one.  I actually think that if we run into extraterrestrial life we won't even recognize it as an organism.

You expected different of me? :/

Vene

Quote from: Kai on November 15, 2008, 02:03:01 AM
Quote from: Vene on November 15, 2008, 01:35:29 AM
Ack.

You expected different of me? :/
Not really, it's still nice to see.

Elder Iptuous

i thought some teams had seen the shadows of gas giants pass in front of some stars a year or two ago.....
they were touting that as 'visual' confirmation.