News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Dave Sim

Started by Z³, April 17, 2004, 11:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anybody familiar with the man? He's the madman/genius behind the Cerberus comics... and he's a very prolific and well spoken misogynist. He writes tons of lengthy articles for anybody who'll publish them (Comics Journal, Etc) but he says a lot of really horrible things about women. Nobody is entirely sure if he's serious or just does this to get a reaction out of people, but it nearly got his comic canceled (cerberus has been going for over twenty years, its a run of 300 issues and he's very near the end of it.)

I'll see what I can link to regarding him.

http://www.theabsolute.net/misogyny/sim.html

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/9923/isim.html

"It wouldn't be that big a stretch to categorize my writing as Hate Literature against women . . . in this Fascistic Feminist country" - Dave Sim

''If you read 300 issues of 'Superman' or 'Spider-Man,' '' said Sim, ''they don't make sense as a story or a life. When I started 'Cerebus,' uppermost in my mind was the thought that I wanted to produce 300 issues of a comic book series the way I thought it should be done - as one continuous story documenting the ups and downs of a character's life - Dave Sim

I have to say, that I really really like Cerberus and Dave Sim... but I dont agree with him. He's a lot better than Steve Ditko anyway (I'll take a misogynist over an objectivist any day of the week.)

BADGE OF HONOR

QuoteI really really like Cerberus and Dave Sim... but I dont agree with him.
Pretty much everyone says that.  
Eh, I've only read Church & State I and II, but I like his drawing style.  It's just best to take his themes with a grain of salt, and to ignore what he says.  Did you read The Onion's interview with him?  It was a few weeks ago--pretty standard DAve Sim stuff.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Quote from: Wenchmaster K
QuoteI really really like Cerberus and Dave Sim... but I dont agree with him.
Pretty much everyone says that.  
Eh, I've only read Church & State I and II, but I like his drawing style.  It's just best to take his themes with a grain of salt, and to ignore what he says.  Did you read The Onion's interview with him?  It was a few weeks ago--pretty standard DAve Sim stuff.

No, but I'll make sure to go back and re-read it... and Dave Sim isnt a hard guy to like, but he's just too extreme for most people to empathize with him. Personally, I think the thematics of his work is really hillarious. Its hard to agree with Dave Sim, its really easy to die laughing reading his stuff... though.

As a counterpoint to feminism, misogony is just as silly.

SAVAGE

BLOWME