News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Intermittens, issue 1

Started by Cramulus, November 17, 2008, 08:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think it was mentioned before, but we may also want people doing 'editing' of copypasta to fix the context a bit...

"Now, look at this board and other
Discordian forums... even the pineal ones.
This is Discordianism Becoming,"

SHould probably reflect the new media:

Now, look at this magazine and Discordian forums...
even the pineal ones.
This is Discordianism Becoming,
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Cramulus on November 18, 2008, 03:32:47 PM
So a few people have mentioned that they have layout skillz

If someone would like to step up to the plate, I'd like to capitalize on that - issue 1 needs better layout. I can send an edited .doc for anyone that wants to toss it into a more magazinelike format.

Anybody interested?

I'm not very good with layout, but if you (or any future editor) would like someone to do copy editing, I'm your man.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Pope Deliciously

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cramulus on November 18, 2008, 03:32:47 PM
So a few people have mentioned that they have layout skillz

If someone would like to step up to the plate, I'd like to capitalize on that - issue 1 needs better layout. I can send an edited .doc for anyone that wants to toss it into a more magazinelike format.

Anybody interested?

I can offer feedback at this point, but I don't have the time to put it all together.

edit:

Positive elements of the layout:
• It looks highly amateur but in an honest way. Like you didn't try to polish the turd, you just shat it out without trying to dress it up in the slightest. It's not self-conscious about being ramshackle and there's something appealing about that.
• While the styling is amateur, you do have a few of the most basic design principles in play: The titling is big, bold and consistent. The body text is consistent. You also achieved a certain cohesiveness in that the amateur layout (sans cover) fits the amateur imagery (sans cover) for the most part. The "Fuck What You Know About Chaos" graphic also reiterates the cover style which both look more pro than amateur. So it's all woven together, however basic, it's still a kind of global dynamism.
• The amateur elements of the layout reinforce a key idea in the magazine: You may not be the best at _________ but you can still do _________ and participate. There's a certain informal atmosphere that the amateur layout evokes which fits with the content. It makes you think of actual people instead of suits.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cramulus

yeah, shit, weren't we working on something already...?

:lulz:

Quote from: Cramulus on November 18, 2008, 11:52:33 PM

By the way, I've still yet to find out if my computer is damaged or if it's just the screen.

I may have lost all the files associated with that project and the past year of my life.

:roflcake:

Cramulus

:aaa:

holyshit!

will do anything I can to help, let me know

Quote from: Cramulus on November 19, 2008, 12:17:23 AM
:aaa:

holyshit!

will do anything I can to help, let me know

I have a few more things to try out before I pay some MacSpag a heap of money to check it out.

Thanks though.

Faust

awesome.
I'll make a pd mirror now if you want.

(http://www.principiadiscordia.com/intermittens/intermittens_0001.pdf)
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

Quote from: Ratatosk on November 18, 2008, 05:25:13 PM
I think it was mentioned before, but we may also want people doing 'editing' of copypasta to fix the context a bit...

"Now, look at this board and other
Discordian forums... even the pineal ones.
This is Discordianism Becoming,"

SHould probably reflect the new media:

Now, look at this magazine and Discordian forums...
even the pineal ones.
This is Discordianism Becoming,

yeah, that's one of the big things I noticed after I released it. When I get a chance (which might not be anytime soon), I'd like to edit and re-upload that PDF... if anyone wants to edit their pieces, please do and re-post it.

I'm probably going to re-edit the intro, as it's sorta spagged up.

Quote from: Net on November 18, 2008, 11:36:00 PM
Positive elements of the layout:
• It looks highly amateur but in an honest way. Like you didn't try to polish the turd, you just shat it out without trying to dress it up in the slightest. It's not self-conscious about being ramshackle and there's something appealing about that.
• While the styling is amateur, you do have a few of the most basic design principles in play: The titling is big, bold and consistent. The body text is consistent. You also achieved a certain cohesiveness in that the amateur layout (sans cover) fits the amateur imagery (sans cover) for the most part. The "Fuck What You Know About Chaos" graphic also reiterates the cover style which both look more pro than amateur. So it's all woven together, however basic, it's still a kind of global dynamism.
• The amateur elements of the layout reinforce a key idea in the magazine: You may not be the best at _________ but you can still do _________ and participate. There's a certain informal atmosphere that the amateur layout evokes which fits with the content. It makes you think of actual people instead of suits.

thanks for the review!

though I've been laying out pamphlets and booklets for yeeeears, I'm still learning about professional layout and design. So tips are way appreciated.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Net on November 19, 2008, 12:16:02 AM

By the way, I've still yet to find out if my computer is damaged or if it's just the screen.

I may have lost all the files associated with that project and the past year of my life.

Can you not just rip the hard drive out like n a PC?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Quote from: Requiem on November 19, 2008, 05:28:52 AM
Quote from: Net on November 19, 2008, 12:16:02 AM

Can you not just rip the hard drive out like n a PC?

It's a laptop, so no.

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on November 18, 2008, 01:45:25 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 18, 2008, 10:56:13 AM
From here on in, I would like to be notified when my work is being used beforehand.

What I post on a forum with people I more or less know is not how I would post to a new, unknown audience and I would like time to make any necessary edits or raise questions about the use of the essay in question.  This does not necessarily relate to generally using my work elsewhere a la kopyleft (where an individual can highlight or extrapolate on the parts they wish to use) but the fixed format magazine/download, which does not allow for such feedback.

TIA

cool - may I suggest updating your kopyleft note to reflect that?

also - would you like to edit the pieces of yours I've put in Transmittens? It's not difficult to update, and the more I look at issue 1, the more little shit I see that I'd like to tighten up anyway.

if publishing your stuff without your green light caused some annoyance,
mea culpa; my bad

Changed.

No, I don't want to edit them.

OK but yes, it did annoy me. 

Verbal Mike

This is awesome.
You know what would be even more awesome? A mailing list that Intermittens is sent out on, where you can sign yourself up - or anyone else for that matter.
There's an instructor in one of my classes whom I am planning to slip a copy of BIP because she seems extremely close to the ideas therein... And signing her up for automatic Intermittens updates wouldn't hurt. :P
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Rumckle

Is good, I think it needs a last page, like a back cover or something, perhaps with the website again
It's not trolling, it's just satire.