News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Intermittens, issue 1

Started by Cramulus, November 17, 2008, 08:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cramulus on November 19, 2008, 02:43:28 AM
Quote from: Net on November 18, 2008, 11:36:00 PM
Positive elements of the layout:
• It looks highly amateur but in an honest way. Like you didn't try to polish the turd, you just shat it out without trying to dress it up in the slightest. It's not self-conscious about being ramshackle and there's something appealing about that.
• While the styling is amateur, you do have a few of the most basic design principles in play: The titling is big, bold and consistent. The body text is consistent. You also achieved a certain cohesiveness in that the amateur layout (sans cover) fits the amateur imagery (sans cover) for the most part. The "Fuck What You Know About Chaos" graphic also reiterates the cover style which both look more pro than amateur. So it's all woven together, however basic, it's still a kind of global dynamism.
• The amateur elements of the layout reinforce a key idea in the magazine: You may not be the best at _________ but you can still do _________ and participate. There's a certain informal atmosphere that the amateur layout evokes which fits with the content. It makes you think of actual people instead of suits.

thanks for the review!

though I've been laying out pamphlets and booklets for yeeeears, I'm still learning about professional layout and design. So tips are way appreciated.

If you want to know why I find it amateur I'll tell you via pm so as to not put a damper on things.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cramulus

Payne

Although, you should put out some hints and tips for everyone else too.

~~~Payne: Not entirely sure now that he wants to release something that looks like a "polished turd"

hooplala

Amateur is not necessarily a bad thing, it does mean "for the love of" after all.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Payne

Oh, I don't mind if it looks amateur. I just want to avoid the polished turd thing he refers to, if I can. I'm hoping he'll still post some hints and tips to make it look more genuine if not more professional.

Quote from: Payne on November 21, 2008, 02:07:39 AM
Oh, I don't mind if it looks amateur. I just want to avoid the polished turd thing he refers to, if I can. I'm hoping he'll still post some hints and tips to make it look more genuine if not more professional.

Here's how you can avoid it:

Just put it all together as fast as you know how and don't look back.

Anybody can do graphic design at a decent level—you're surrounded by it on a daily basis, you have vast stores of intuitive knowledge. I couldn't tell you how to do it well, because I'm just a douchebag design student and my discipline is trivial.

Actually this has nothing to do with me still being hurt by Hoopla and Nigel, which I still am (don't worry though, I'll find a way to send an emotional bullet into your soft spots yet).  I'm not going to give out tips because they'd be more problematic for you and myself than they would be helpful.

Your tools are probably not as capable as mine and I'm not familiar enough with your limitations to give tips that you can utilize. If you're inspired enough, it won't matter or you'll find a way around them.

Payne

Quote from: Net on November 21, 2008, 11:15:37 AM
Quote from: Payne on November 21, 2008, 02:07:39 AM

Here's how you can avoid it:

Just put it all together as fast as you know how and don't look back.

Anybody can do graphic design at a decent level—you're surrounded by it on a daily basis, you have vast stores of intuitive knowledge. I couldn't tell you how to do it well, because I'm just a douchebag design student and my discipline is trivial.

Actually this has nothing to do with me still being hurt by Hoopla and Nigel, which I still am (don't worry though, I'll find a way to send an emotional bullet into your soft spots yet).  I'm not going to give out tips because they'd be more problematic for you and myself than they would be helpful.

Your tools are probably not as capable as mine and I'm not familiar enough with your limitations to give tips that you can utilize. If you're inspired enough, it won't matter or you'll find a way around them.

:lulz:

Okay, that's cool.

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Quote from: BAWHEED on November 21, 2008, 01:17:37 PM
I did apologize for that.

Privately, much after the fact.

I hope you get maimed by falling metal Helvetica.

hooplala

Quote from: Net on November 21, 2008, 01:41:28 PM

I am publicly and genuinely very sorry for being an asshole about the fonts, Net.  On the internet there is very little I can do beyond that, but thank you for wishing me maimed.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Quote from: BAWHEED on November 21, 2008, 01:46:11 PM

I am publicly and genuinely very sorry for being an asshole about the fonts, Net.  On the internet there is very little I can do beyond that, but thank you for wishing me maimed.

Too little, too late.

hooplala

Quote from: Net on November 25, 2008, 08:55:31 PM
Quote from: BAWHEED on November 21, 2008, 01:46:11 PM

Too little, too late.

Perhaps it would have been easier to forgive me if I had been lucky enough to have been born with a vagina?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Who knew a ridiculous little font could cause so much STRIFE???

ME.
                                   /

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

This reminds me, I need to get on with creating either an Eris or Apple of Discord smiley.

Also, less importantly: *sigh*