News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

A dozen gadgets that were killed by the Cellphone

Started by Iason Ouabache, November 18, 2008, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeducation

Paved roads suck, especially when you are running on them without shoes. Road kills.
I am very calm

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

nurbldoff

Books? Who ever reads books on their mobile phone?

I´ve yet to own a phone with a camera or mp3 player of passable quality, or even a single game that could compare to a dedicted games machine. In fact, using the phone as an mp3 player always seemed a bit stupid to me, since it will mean that you're draining your phone's battery by listening to it.

In some sense the article has a point because the mobile phone is pretty much a computer these days, or getting there. But sooner or later the phone will just merge with wireless internet (it's already happening) and then calling it a "phone" will be pretty arbitrary. Is your computer a phone if you use skype a lot?

It's more like all these devices are merging into one package (the pocket computer) than the phone taking over. The computer taking over other tasks is hardly news.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Triple Zero

Quote from: nurbldoff on November 19, 2008, 11:42:04 AMI´ve yet to own a phone with a camera or mp3 player of passable quality, or even a single game that could compare to a dedicted games machine. In fact, using the phone as an mp3 player always seemed a bit stupid to me, since it will mean that you're draining your phone's battery by listening to it.

it is handy if you're running. you want music, but you also want to have your phone (for emergencies etc), yet you want to carry as less stuff as possible.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

Good articles, but I'd re - title them "10 gadgets cell phones COULD kill". 
My cell phone came free with the minimal calling plan I'm on, and it has far more functions than I ever use.  In theory, it could be phone / camera / mp3 player / web browser / instant messenger / text messenger / digital television, but these functions are cut off at the knees by the fact that I'd have to shell out more money for EACH LITTLE FUNCTION.  All of them are unselected and inactive, for that fact that I don't want another line on a monthly bill. 

Hypocritical, I'll admit.  I won't pay $10 a month to add a function to a device I already own, eyeing the service proprietors with ire and suspicion, but I WILL shell out for a device that does so independently.  Then again, with the separate devices, I can TURN THEM OFF.  I don't want the whole world of technological possibility trying to cram into life through my single cellular orifice.  Music, internets, etc. can be selectively ignored, powered down or left at home by the curmudgeonly whims which guide me.  (The separate devices also have the edge of doing them BETTER, as most dedicated tools do.)

My cell phone could kill them all, if they ever deign to drop the price for equipment and service with iPhone clones.
Presently, if I want a multifunction device, I will duct tape the music player to the tiny Netbook PC, and if anyone questions me, I will go Ellen Ripely on their ass; leveling my cobbled contraption at their bloated cellular appendage screaming "GET AWAY FROM HER YOU BITCH!" 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Golden Applesauce

Calculator?  Really?

I've yet to see a cell phone that does derivatives or integrals, symbolically or otherwise.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Richter

It's for the sub - set of humanity that doesn't need scientific calculators, don't like doing tip calcualtion in their heads, and are too cheap to round up.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Kai

I use a scientific calculator for all mathematical purposes, even balancing my checkbook. A basic function calculator doesn't cut it for me anymore, and hasn't since high school.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Payne

Things I use my current phone for:

Receiving calls and text messages (I never send, because I never have any credit on it)

Phonebook of useful numbers

Alarm Clock/ Watch/ Calender

Flashlight

Jotting down little thoughts and reminders if I don't have pen and paper handy.

Previously, I had phones with cameras and fancy assed games, but this phone does me just fine now.

Edit: Oh, and I also set the alarm on it and place it under the cat to go off when she's sleeping. Because it makes me laugh. I'm a bad bad man.

Vene

Two things, first what I read:
Quote from: Payne on November 19, 2008, 07:42:04 PM
Things I use my current phone for:

Fleshlight

Second, I wonder how well that would actually sell.

Payne

See, here we just call it a torch, regardless of it not being a burning brand. I was going to call it that but didn't because I've had people comment on it before. And now you've ruined it.

Cramulus

My superintendent has a beeper.

A BEEPER.

Anybody remember those crappy little things? You could get one from the "beeper huts" that you could find in malls during 1996 and 1997.

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Rumckle

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 19, 2008, 01:09:16 PM
it is handy if you're running. you want music, but you also want to have your phone (for emergencies etc), yet you want to carry as less stuff as possible.

2nded, I barely have enough pockets as it is

Also my cell has trig functions in its calc, just in case *shrugs*
It's not trolling, it's just satire.