A dozen gadgets that were killed by the Cellphone

Started by Iason Ouabache, November 18, 2008, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xooxe

I won't buy a phone if it doesn't include a torch.

Also, using it as an alarm clock messes with my head. Sometimes I wake up to what I think is a text message, and in my morning headedness I misread the question on screen. "What the fuck is snozzle?"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 19, 2008, 08:24:57 PM
Only drug dealers carry beepers.
    \
:mullet:

That would include doctors, so I suppose it's an accurate enough statement.

Seriously, some places my mom has worked at required her to have THREE beepers and her cell phone on her person at all times when she was on call.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rumckle on November 20, 2008, 11:15:36 AM
Quote from: Triple Zero on November 19, 2008, 01:09:16 PM
it is handy if you're running. you want music, but you also want to have your phone (for emergencies etc), yet you want to carry as less stuff as possible.

2nded, I barely have enough pockets as it is

Also my cell has trig functions in its calc, just in case *shrugs*

mine's got a Python interpreter, so it can do all that and more :)

I use it only when i'm really really bored, though. But it's kinda funny to write code in T9 :) unfortunately some of the keys are starting to crap out a littlebit now.

one time i was playing with the text-message library in mobile-Python and I figured, well i could just send a test message to a friend, but that's not proof I wrote a program to do it for me, cause I could have just sent it, so I had it send him the value of Pi (in more digits than i can memorize) to him. i'm such a geek sometimes :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

OPTIMUS PINECONE

"Sincere thought, real free thought, ready, in the name of superhuman authority or of humble common sense, to question the basis of what is officially taught and generally accepted, is less and less likely to thrive. It is, we repeat, by far easier to enslave a literate people than an illiterate one, strange as this may seem at first sight. And the enslavement is more likely to be lasting."   -Savitri Devi

"Great men of action... never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job, and at times they all are"   -Oswald Mosley

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

Requia ☣

Quote3. Ultra Mobile PC[/quote>]
Didn't those become massively popular a year ago when they got renamed to netbooks?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

AFK

I hate cellphones.  I have a Tracfone for emergencies if I'm travelling long distances, but otherwise I don't like them.

Also, as far as them replacing landlines, it's a bit of a gamble.  If the battery in your cellphone goes dead, you are screwed.  If the power goes out in your home, you can still use your landline to get a call out.  Also, unless it's changed with cellphones and digital phones, landlines still have an advantage when it comes to the 911 system.  If you dial 911 and if it connects for even a second before the mugger cuts the connection, they can trace where the call came from and send help. 

Sure these are things with low probability of occurrences, but when they DO occur, it is important to have the right tools at your disposal. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Richter

Quote from: Requiem on November 30, 2008, 05:53:08 PM
Quote3. Ultra Mobile PC
Didn't those become massively popular a year ago when they got renamed to netbooks?

Sort of.  The original UMPC's were actually nearly fully spec'ed PC's, but crammed into a portable unit the size of a harcover book  (Think a SEga Game Gear on steroids).  Mostly touch screen, most had some combinations of function buttons or semi - full keyboards.  They still MSRP'ed about $800 and up.  For the price, they never quite had the ease of use or the battery life to be terribly popular, IMHO.

The "Netbooks"  are more a class 10" or less wide, sub - standard spec'ed laptops, retailing for $300-$600.00.  Where UMPC's were designed to really be simialrly capable to laptops, the netbooks are more devoted to internet, writing, and not much else. I use and very much like the Asus EEE, which was one of the first models.  It's a good, cheap, mobile complement to a more capable home computer, though not QUITE a replacement.

Edit:  Fixt
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 01, 2008, 06:23:08 PM

Also, as far as them replacing landlines, it's a bit of a gamble.  If the battery in your cellphone goes dead, you are screwed.  If the power goes out in your home, you can still use your landline to get a call out.  Also, unless it's changed with cellphones and digital phones, landlines still have an advantage when it comes to the 911 system.  If you dial 911 and if it connects for even a second before the mugger cuts the connection, they can trace where the call came from and send help. 

Sure these are things with low probability of occurrences, but when they DO occur, it is important to have the right tools at your disposal. 
Yeah, that is one of the things that bother me about not having a landline but I've never had an extended power outage in my area so I don't worry about it too much.  I don't know if all cell phones are like this now but the last 2 phones I owned had a GPS feature that alerted 911 to your location. 
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you have a phone line to your house, even one with no service, they are required by law to provide 911 for free, so you don't even have to have a phoneco account.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

I still hate cellphones.  Mostly because I don't like talking to people on the phone.  Why the hell would I want to do it when I'm somewhere doing something I enjoy?  I guess I just don't need to be that connected. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Richter

Quote from: Nigel on December 02, 2008, 04:12:12 AM
If you have a phone line to your house, even one with no service, they are required by law to provide 911 for free, so you don't even have to have a phoneco account.

A hard line sounds like a good idea for this reason, then.  As handy as cell phones are, without towers to prop up the networks, they just plain don't work.  Hence, they are always one wide - ranging power outage away from becoming useless pieces of plastic.

RWHN:  I hear you.  I loathe the phone for the fact that it KEEPS me connected.  (Depressive buddies calling with problems while I'm out trying to enjoy myself, and the like.)

I compensate by seldom answering incoming calls. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I, too, hate talking on the phone, and I REALLY hate the expectation cell phones have created, of everyone being constantly available at all times. What happened to "making plans"?

I feel like cell phones have helped people become lazier and more demanding. I especially hate the "I just called because I was bored" phenomenon. You're bored? Guess what? I'm not! Go find something to do and leave me alone.

Like Richter, I just seldom answer incoming calls. I also seldom return calls, or even listen to voice mail, because 99% of the time it's something trivial.

I originally got a cell phone when my husband and I split, so I could be accessible if there was a situation with the kids. I have to admit that I do really like text-messaging, because it's a good way to convey information on the fly without the commitment of a phone call.