A dozen gadgets that were killed by the Cellphone

Started by Iason Ouabache, November 18, 2008, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

TITCM

I'm warming up to text message, despite the charge.  :x

Edit: removed pointless bitching.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Rumckle

The easy solution to this is not having friends.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Requia ☣

Text is ridiculously more convenient to deal with than voicemail as well.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rumckle on December 03, 2008, 12:32:14 AM
The easy solution to this is not having friends.

Bah. I like friends, I just don't like them constantly calling me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

i seem to like phones. i remember when the mobile phones got more ubiqitous, and i didn't have one (neophobia?) i was using public phones a lot because i wanted to stay in contact, and had to call people "on the go" a lot. finally i got one, and it was good :)

now i don't have a land line.

which may be stupid because of the emergency thing, even though mobile phones have special features to prioritize emergency calls as well. i heard something about, when it's new years eve, and all the networks are clogged, ringing the emergency number once, hanging up, would put you on a prioritized network and be able to call some one. not that i would do that, ever, of course (srsly).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Quote from: Requiem on December 03, 2008, 04:22:44 AM

Unless you're in a car, then it sucks ass.  You've just asked someone for directions, and they send you a motherfucking text.  :kingmeh:

Until they come up with a bluetooth that allows you to HEAR the fucking text, meh.

Template

Quote from: Jenne on December 08, 2008, 11:23:50 PM

Unless you're in a car, then it sucks ass.  You've just asked someone for directions, and they send you a motherfucking text.  :kingmeh:

Until they come up with a bluetooth that allows you to HEAR the fucking text, meh.

No.  Phone application.  That should not be a feature of a bluetooth earpiece--the process is too complex to implement efficiently in a peripheral.

I just read the first page of this thread, and would like to say that a cell-phone (implementation) COULD do all-these-things-and-more, but

1.  It would then be a "personal device": cellphone is a comms device.  I'd enjoy portable processing with a desktop-class OS, but that wouldn't be a cellphone.
2.  what part goes obsolete first?
3.  who the fuck could concentrate the will to assemble such win at a decent price?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I usually pull over when I need to get directions. Of course, also my phone has GPS.

Jenne

Quote from: yhnmzw on December 15, 2008, 12:32:34 AM
Quote from: Jenne on December 08, 2008, 11:23:50 PM

No.  Phone application.  That should not be a feature of a bluetooth earpiece--the process is too complex to implement efficiently in a peripheral.

You're right--I just hate texting instead of talking is all.  If I wanted to text instead of receive a phone call back from someone I just called, then I would email.  I say bluetooth also because we have laws here that prevent you from using a phone while driving unless you are doing so with your bluetooth or other headphone/speaker device thingie.

the other anonymous

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 18, 2008, 08:19:20 PM
It's looking more and more like that people will be completely useless without their credit phones in the future.

I initially misread this -- now I'm thinking of patenting it....

-toa,
rfid'dle

Kai

The tricorder will kill the cellphone, eventually.

This is just a mock up from the Barcode of Life mission website, but the tech is there, it just needs to generated. We'll prolly have a tool like this within the next 10-20 years.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

the last yatto

yatto would like to reserve this topic for his :pax: issue of intermittens. to go alongside crazy prepared
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

Intel and Nokia band together
The world's largest chip maker has teamed up with the world's largest mobile phone maker
to create what they say will be a "new exciting industry".
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8114059.stm
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on November 18, 2008, 08:19:20 PM
Wired had a pair of good articles about different tech gadgets that have been rendered obsolete by fast-moving cellphone industry:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/five-gadget-whi.html?npu=1&mbid=yhp
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/seven-more-gadg.html

If you are lazy and don't want to click, here's the list:

1. PDA
2. Camera
3. Ultra Mobile PC
4. Landline telephones
5. MP3 player
6. Pager
7. Wristwatch
8. Pocket Calculator
9. Alarm clock
10. SatNav
11. book
12. Handheld Console

I disagree with the inclusion of the MP3 players, books, and handheld consoles. The rest of the list is pretty dead on though.  I don't know anyone under the age of 40 that still has a landline. Pagers died a very swift death about 10 years ago. Wristwatches are used only as jewelry anymore.  It's much easier to just take your phone out of your pocket or just look at the time on your computer.  I still have an old digital alarm clock, but I always use the cellphone when I'm not at home.

It's looking more and more like that people will be completely useless without their cell phones in the future.

It's only a matter of time as far as mp3 players are concerned.  I am 31 and have a landline though.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl