News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

A dozen gadgets that were killed by the Cellphone

Started by Iason Ouabache, November 18, 2008, 08:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Rumwolf on November 19, 2008, 07:08:26 AM
Yeah, if you actually want a phone that can do all those things with a decent proficiency, specifically camera, book and gameboy, you have to increase the size of the phone somewhat, and I wouldn't want a kindle sized cell phone.

As for mp3 player, I got my cell phone 4 years ago, and I use it as an mp3 player, which it does an alright job, it's out dated now, but 4 Gig of music is alright for me.

you don't need a bigger phone, you need a phone with projection capacity, which they are now working on.  They have prototypes that can project a screen roughly the size and resolution of a laptop monitor on any flat surface.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

the last yatto

more  from BBC
Intel will also acquire a licence from Nokia that is used in modem chips to connect to third generation cellular networks. Although Intel makes chips for Wi-Fi and WiMax networks, it has previously lacked the technology to provide a complete technology package for portable device makers.

In a conference call with reporters, neither company would not be drawn on what any future products would look like.

"We will talk about products when we are ready to talk about products," said Mr Chandraseckher

"With the convergence of the internet and mobility as the team's only barrier, I can only imagine the innovation that will come out of our unique relationship with Nokia. The possibilities are endless."

ABI Research says that last year a total of 1.2 billion mobile phones were sold globally.

Mr Oistamo was equally tight-lipped on the subject of future products, but he added: "We will explore new ideas in designs, materials and displays that will go far beyond devices and services on the market today.

"The future is truly exciting and there is a lot of room here to redefine what mobile is and what it can do as we create this brave new world."
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Richter

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 23, 2009, 10:28:41 PM

It's only a matter of time as far as mp3 players are concerned.  I am 31 and have a landline though.

Agreed.  My current MP3 player is also a simple / backup Internet device, PDF reader, Calendar, etc.

Also, while I'm not OPPOSED to the idea of having a hybrid phone / mobile computer, I just really don't think of them as going together.  The cell phone has always been something to me that's tethered to the contract, coverage, and whim of a company who I rent airtime from.  The computer, even in mobile incarnations, I still look for more capability and visibility (aka screen size) than any thing practical for phone use would have.

My current dream device involves a paperback - sized touchscreen (7cm by 4cm or so), 2 USB ports, bluetooth, and not much else.  (Maybe an adapted port for VGA out to a larger monitor)  Preferably, this would be an Apple product since they've done the best touch driven OS I've seen.  (Carry a bluetooth keyboard for serious typing.)       
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Rumckle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on June 23, 2009, 10:30:34 PM
Quote from: Rumwolf on November 19, 2008, 07:08:26 AM
Yeah, if you actually want a phone that can do all those things with a decent proficiency, specifically camera, book and gameboy, you have to increase the size of the phone somewhat, and I wouldn't want a kindle sized cell phone.

As for mp3 player, I got my cell phone 4 years ago, and I use it as an mp3 player, which it does an alright job, it's out dated now, but 4 Gig of music is alright for me.

you don't need a bigger phone, you need a phone with projection capacity, which they are now working on.  They have prototypes that can project a screen roughly the size and resolution of a laptop monitor on any flat surface.

Firstly, you need that flat surface to project on, which won't always be available, though I will admit that changing in various aspects of society buildings, transport, etc may make that available if it is needed/desired.

Secondly, even with projection stuff like consoles would still be awkward unless you get it a proper control size.

And, thirdly, a good camera needs a decent size lens, which would increase the size of the device.

Also, Richter, any device with monitor support would probably use HDMI these days.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Richter

Quote from: Rumwolf on June 24, 2009, 05:37:23 PM

Also, Richter, any device with monitor support would probably use HDMI these days.

Hence why I said something that could be adapted for a VGA output.  For new monitors you are correct.  For plugging this into an old monitor at home or at the office, you might not have something that works with HDMI lying around.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat