News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Intermittens Idea: Manta's Zodiac Column

Started by Manta Obscura, November 20, 2008, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Yo, I'm a Beetle, but I'm notoriously BAD at taking advice, so...

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Jenne on November 24, 2008, 03:50:58 PM

Hey, I'm a beetle too! :lol:

Manta Obscura

Quote from: BAWHEED on November 24, 2008, 03:47:26 PM
I like it except for a single tiny nitpick - the Buddha wasn't fat. 

Yeah, I know, but I was just going with the popular misconception for comedic purposes.

Aside: who the hell is that fat "Buddha" anyway? Is that some different dude, or is it (as I was always led to believe) the Chinese conception of what Buddha looked like?
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Cain

He's a Chinese god who got conflated with the Buddha later on (somehow).

hooplala

I thought he was a popular Buddhist monk from the 10 century?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Manta Obscura on November 24, 2008, 03:55:05 PM

Aside: who the hell is that fat "Buddha" anyway? Is that some different dude, or is it (as I was always led to believe) the Chinese conception of what Buddha looked like?

http://www.fengshuimiracle.com/feng-shui/paintings/461/laughing-buddha

QuoteThe Laughing Buddha is all about blurring the cultural divide between the Chinese, Japanese, Indian and now the Western world as it brings good fortunes to millions of Feng Shui enthusiasts.
Described as the Happy Man in the hundreds of Handloom House outlets in India, for years, now he is known as the Laughing Buddha even among the semi-literate sales persons. Chinese, of course, call him Hotei. He is believed to have existed in China as a real Buddhist monk China over 1,000 years ago.
Hotei, being a cheerful, contented Buddhist monk, is a wonderful little icon; where just the appearance can have the ability to cheer anyone up from a bad day. His largely exposed potbelly stomach protrudes in front of him as you almost hear the belly laughter emerging from the idol.
Typically, the origin of the Laughing Buddha, or Hotei, is from a mix in Buddhist and Shinto religions and can be traced back to the time of the Liang Dynasty in China. During this time, the story is, that there lived a Buddhist monk known as Pu-Tai and it is he who is today known as Hotei or Laughing Buddha or the Happy Man or Maitriya.

I dunno how much stock I put in this source, but it's plausible enough (as is Cain's).

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Jenne on November 24, 2008, 03:50:58 PM

I've added a disclaimer to address this, Jenne.  :)

To Cain, Bawheed and Cainad: Thanks for the sources. I'm still as confused as ever as to what is the correct source, but that's par for the course for me . . .

Cramulus

Anyway, I think this article might use a cute sidebar, in case people aren't familliar with the monthly zodiac.

Horse - Horses tend to be either introverts or extroverts depending on their mood. They are positive and cheerful, but there has been a time in their past when they were very upset.

Goat - Goats are known for loving their parents, having friends, and working a steady job. They often have a box of old unsorted photographs in your house.

Beetle - Beetles enjoy the finer things in life, and avoid things they dislike. Beetles are very kind and considerate people, but when somebody does something to break their trust, they feel deep-seated anger.

Buick - Those born under the Buick are sometimes insecure, especially with people they don't know very well. They are mostly shy and quiet, but when the mood strikes them, they can easily become the center of attention.

Enchilada - Enchiladas sometimes have problems with friends or relatives. Nearly all Enchiladas had an accident when they were a child involving water.

data taken from Cold Reading

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Cramulus on November 24, 2008, 04:05:51 PM
Anyway, I think this article might use a cute sidebar, in case people aren't familliar with the monthly zodiac.

Horse - Horses tend to be either introverts or extroverts depending on their mood. They are positive and cheerful, but there has been a time in their past when they were very upset.

Goat - Goats are known for loving their parents, having friends, and working a steady job. They often have a box of old unsorted photographs in your house.

Beetle - Beetles enjoy the finer things in life, and avoid things they dislike. Beetles are very kind and considerate people, but when somebody does something to break their trust, they feel deep-seated anger.

Buick - Those born under the Buick are sometimes insecure, especially with people they don't know very well. They are mostly shy and quiet, but when the mood strikes them, they can easily become the center of attention.

Enchilada - Enchiladas sometimes have problems with friends or relatives. Nearly all Enchiladas had an accident when they were a child involving water.

I like this, Cram. Thanks for the idea and the link.

Whenever we change up the names of the Discordian "signs," it might be cool to change the sidebar and give different descriptions for each sign type, too.

Jenne

:D  Dis fread delivers, though, MO!  Keep on a-truckin'!

There's also this dude, Bella gave out his URL once, who gives zodiac advice just like this.  I'll go diving at eb&g and see if I can find it.  Worthy of note for lutzy purposes.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on November 24, 2008, 04:05:51 PM

That's hilarious. If I hadn't already checked to see which sign I fall under, I would think I belonged in any and all of these categories.

Triple Zero

i love this shit--except that the Buick description doesnt fit me :-P but I guess i'm not looking deep enough into my cosmic Self.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.