News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Why are you here?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 20, 2008, 07:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

I'm here because I couldn't allow you all to be subjected to any more Gay Caribbean Disco forum skins.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

And we thank thee, o benevolent dictator.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Damn, you made me think Nigel....  NOT FAIR in the AM  :lulz:

Well, my son and I were lurking on MW and spent most of our time reading what was written in the Discordian sub forum there.  THEN those idiot facist pig bastards over at MW decided to ban everyone with a brain so we sort of "followed" them to MA, then to EB&G and then here.... 

I stayed because while there are laughs to be had here, there is also a base group of highly intelligent (though at times a bit eccentric) and exceptionally talented people who's work and ideas I have come to respect a lot.  I also got involved in some things and was able to get my kids involved in some of the poster and sticker gasms.  We still do cookie gasms too. 

One of the things I appreciate of most members here is there is, for the most part, an underlying "live and let it go" factor that is in play here.  I know I have made people here mad, and some have done the same for me, BUT.... it stayed in the thread it was pertaining to and I've never felt there were grudges being held against me on a personal level.  There are a few (and you know who you are  :D) who worry the shit to the bone marrow, but most let shit go.  It's the internet afterall....

Also, I'm really old now and this place has become a habit..... :argh!: 

EDITED TO ADD......  Ignore the above post, I am here because of Roger's mind rays and that is the only reason I am here.....  That is all.....

Brotep

I am here for laughs, and maybe to exchange ideas with other...post-occultists

Cramulus

:lulz: "post-occult" ... I've never heard that one before.

Kai

I'm here from inertia mostly. I got involved here 4 years ago and I guess I have stuck around because people make me feel welcome here. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense if you are new, but alot of these old members are some of the oldest friends I have, on or offline. Secondarily I'm here for the lulz and to learn, and also to teach (to anyone who can stand to listen).

Its probably the whole gang mentality more than anything. Being part of this community gives me family, friends, motivation, and purpose.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cramulus

The community gives you purpose
                                   \
                                 Excellent.
                                    \

Brotep

^good poster

Quote from: Cramulus on December 17, 2008, 03:03:44 AM
:lulz: "post-occult" ... I've never heard that one before.

Made it up on the spot because I enjoy discussing the occult but don't believe in it.  Just looking for deeper insight into self and others and the world around us, by examining and breaking down perspectives and beliefs.

Quote from: Kai on December 17, 2008, 03:09:43 AM
I'm here from inertia mostly. I got involved here 4 years ago and I guess I have stuck around because people make me feel welcome here. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense if you are new, but alot of these old members are some of the oldest friends I have, on or offline. Secondarily I'm here for the lulz and to learn, and also to teach (to anyone who can stand to listen).

Its probably the whole gang mentality more than anything. Being part of this community gives me family, friends, motivation, and purpose.

It's good to have a circle of friends to fall back on, some kind of constant amidst the disorder ( :wink: ) of life.

btw, thanks for not automatically blocking me again on IRC  :lulz:

Kai

Well yeah. I think many people disregard the people THEY know online as not being friends equal to the ones they know outside the internet, but I see it quite opposite. Its comforting to know that if you are in deep shit somewhere far from home, someone cool is not far away, and that no matter where you go, a friend is not too distant.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Brotep

Well said.

Also, whether or not I might agree with the particular beliefs of people on this forum, I bet we communicate in the same idiom, so to speak.

Cramulus

Quote from: Anton LaGay on December 17, 2008, 03:33:21 AM
Well said.

Also, whether or not I might agree with the particular beliefs of people on this forum, I bet we communicate in the same idiom, so to speak.

I'm a total spag for replying with a RAW quote, but nevertheless:

Celine reared back as if I had waved offal under his nose. "Objectivists?" he pronounced the word as if I had accused him of being a child-molester. "We're anarchists and outlaws, goddam it. Didn't you understand that much? We've got nothing to do with right-wing, left-wing or any other half-assed political category. If you work within the system, you come to one of the either/or choices that were implicit in the system from the beginning. You're talking like a medieval serf, asking the first agnostic whether he worships God or the Devil. We're outside the system's categories. You'll never get the hang of our game if you keep thinking in flat-earth imagery of right and left, good and evil, up and down. If you need a group label for us, we're political non-Euclideans. But even that's not true. Sink me, nobody of this tub agrees with anybody else about anything, except maybe what the fellow with the horns told the old man in the clouds: Non serviam."
Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea, Illuminatus!

Brotep

In your defense, it is a pretty cool quote.

Manta Obscura

Quote from: Cramulus on December 17, 2008, 03:47:34 AM
Quote from: Anton LaGay on December 17, 2008, 03:33:21 AM
Well said.

I'm a total spag for replying with a RAW quote, but nevertheless:

Celine reared back as if I had waved offal under his nose. "Objectivists?" he pronounced the word as if I had accused him of being a child-molester. "We're anarchists and outlaws, goddam it. Didn't you understand that much? We've got nothing to do with right-wing, left-wing or any other half-assed political category. If you work within the system, you come to one of the either/or choices that were implicit in the system from the beginning. You're talking like a medieval serf, asking the first agnostic whether he worships God or the Devil. We're outside the system's categories. You'll never get the hang of our game if you keep thinking in flat-earth imagery of right and left, good and evil, up and down. If you need a group label for us, we're political non-Euclideans. But even that's not true. Sink me, nobody of this tub agrees with anybody else about anything, except maybe what the fellow with the horns told the old man in the clouds: Non serviam."
Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea, Illuminatus!

You would be a total spag with or without the quote, Cram.  :wink:

But yeah, Anton is right, that quote is pretty nanners. I generally didn't like Hagbard, but he said some neat things throughout the novels.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

East Coast Hustle

that's probably the best paragraph in the whole Illuminatus! trilogy.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Brotep

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on December 19, 2008, 05:27:16 PM
that's probably the best paragraph in the whole Illuminatus! trilogy.

That's good to hear, because I've pretty much forgotten the rest of it