News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Thanksgiving stew.

Started by Kai, November 28, 2008, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

So, since I had no where to go yesterday, I made a thanksgiving stew. Its simple. Also, just increase the veggies and meat if you want more, but this meal is for one.

A package of precut stewing beef. Perfect sized for this.
Clove or two of garlic, minced
A smallish sweet onion, minced
two carrots, peeled and cubed
Celery (to your liking) cubed
mushrooms cubed
some salsa (tomato salsa, not verde)
water
olive oil

spices
basil
rosemary
parsley
sage
1 bay leaf
thyme
black pepper
cayenne pepper
kosher salt

Brown the meat in the saucepan with the olive oil, onions and garlic. Add the vegetables and spices with water. I put in some leftover salsa and it turned out awesome. Simmer the SOAB for 2 hours. The broth should be rich and flavorful. Make sure to remove the bayleaf before eating.

It serves well in a bowl, because the broth is like a soup. You could probably add cubed potatoes too, or peas.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

stew sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!

i should make another stew soon, I will use your recipe as inspiration (you know that no two stews are created equal)

about the bayleaf. i usually put "remove-before-eating" stuff inside a tea-egg. that way you don't have to worry about lost cloves, bayleafs or juniper berries, but still get the flavours.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds pretty damn tasty!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2008, 09:08:18 PM

2nd'ed.  I need to make such soup.

Tonight's "Thanksgiving soup"  is all the leftovers in 1 pot.  LITERALLY.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Richter on November 28, 2008, 10:25:14 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2008, 09:08:18 PM

2nd'ed.  I need to make such soup.

Tonight's "Thanksgiving soup"  is all the leftovers in 1 pot.  LITERALLY.

I do that sometimes, but this year I have way too much stuffing, and the yams with blue cheese would be a bit overwhelming I think.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

I threw stuffing in but not much.  I didn't want a bread pudding.  it was mostly turkey and the snack plate of cut veggies.

Bleu cheese yams? Sounds great, just not in my soup thanx  :wink:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The yams were a total hit, which was great because I knew I was taking a risk.

Kai

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 28, 2008, 08:36:12 PM
stew sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!

i should make another stew soon, I will use your recipe as inspiration (you know that no two stews are created equal)

about the bayleaf. i usually put "remove-before-eating" stuff inside a tea-egg. that way you don't have to worry about lost cloves, bayleafs or juniper berries, but still get the flavours.

Cool. was only one bayleaf in this case, so not a big deal. Turned out AWESOME. It was like my pepper steak attempt, just so good, and the noodles....mmm...damn, getting hungry again.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Hey, have you had any more slow cooker adventures?