News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

We found an awesome little hole in the wall liquor store that has an incredible selection of beer, wine and liquors. We of course, ended up spending way more than we wanted to when we went.
We figured we'd try a bunch of new things that we hadn't had yet.
Here's a group shot of what we got:

Mmmmmmm. Beeeeeeeeer.

Now for review.

Hitachino Nest Celebration Ale
Kiuchi Brewery- Ibaraki, Japan
ABV: 9%
Ale brewed with coriander, orange peel, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla beans.

Overall I gave this beer an A-
It had the look of a stout, with a rich dark cocoa espresso color and was thick and cloudy. The thick frothy head reminded me of crema. Vurry nice. The first thing I smelled was a creamy caramel and cinnamon with a hint of oak and chocolate. It has a smooth creamy slightly spicy taste with a nice caramel finish and was heavy rich and chewy on the tongue. This is definitely a sippin beer or one you would have with a light dessert or at the end of the night. It's really heavy and not the best choice for a starter, but it was certainly worth trying.

Wostyntje Torhauts Mustard Ale
De Rogenboog Brewery- Brugge, Belgium
ABV: 7%
Dark blonde ale brewed with dark candy sugar and mustard seeds.

I gave this one a B-
It's color was a bright sunny orange with a slight cloudiness like a cider. It smelled sweet with hints of mustard that got stronger as it warmed. At first it tasted like hay but it finished with a light honey mustard mildew. It was interesting that's for sure. It's light, crisp and refreshing. If you can handle that musty mildew undertone it could easily be an all night drink.

Curieux
Allagash Brewery- Portland, Maine
ABV: 11%
Ale aged in oak bourbon barrels

This one got a B
It's a nice golden orange color and very clear with a light lacy head. It smelled strong of wood and spice with a slight dank finish. It was crisp and slightly bitter with a deep citrus finish, but as it got warmer (recommended to serve at cellar temp, they weren't kidding) it got better. The citrus became more sweet and the dank was replaced with a honey-like smell. It's crisp and clean and you could definitely drink this one all night as it doesn't lay real heavy in your belleh.

Dogfish Head Theobroma
Dogfish Head Brewery- Milton, DE
ABV: 9%
Ale brewed with honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chilis and ground anatto

This one got an A
I have to say this one was my favorite. It was close with the Hitachino, but this one was a bright, clear honey gold with a thick rich head. It had a very woody, citrusy smell when cold then as it warmed the cocoa nibs really stood out. I'm pretty sure this was the best tasting beer I've had, probably ever. It started with a bright citrus taste then rolled into a sweet chocolatey smooth yumminess with a slight spice. It's light in your stomach and I probably should have started with this one. You could easily drink this till you pass out.

Now obviously I didn't get through all 7 bottles last night, I'm kinda small and I was way too full by the end of this. But as I review them, I'll post them here.

Jenne

Ooh, very cool.  Kai did beer reviews once--very nicely written like yours, too! :D

Kai

Squid does them better.

Also, there are some moderately okay beers in the area, but I've only had them in bar. One oatmeal porter in particular I have every night I go out.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Dogfish Head is, IMO, the best brewery in America.

That's not as strong a statement as it sounds like because the fact is that 99.9% of American beer sucsk rancid goat balls, even the stuff that's supposed to be good.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on December 01, 2008, 03:12:49 PM
Dogfish Head is, IMO, the best brewery in America.

That's not as strong a statement as it sounds like because the fact is that 99.9% of American beer sucsk rancid goat balls, even the stuff that's supposed to be good.

This is correct sir.
And I have to agree as far as American brewed stuff. I've had a couple other beers by them and they were equally as good.

Kai

Sounds like I need to get some Dogfish Head.  :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

Eater of Clowns

Jim Calagione of Dogfish Head is whacked out of his fucking gourd, a trait which evidently lends itself quite well to the business of brewing.  I'm interested in trying Palo Santo Marron and Midas Touch because of how those brews came into existence.  There's an in-depth article detailing Calagione here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger?currentPage=1

In short, Palo Santo Marron is brewed in a barrel made of a highly dense and aromatic wood from South America called palo santo.  Midas Touch, meanwhile, was inspired by the analysis of a beverage sediment found in cups from King Midas' tomb.

Good reviews, I'll have to check some of those out.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Eater of Clowns

I won't try to review it, but I just tried Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron and:

1.  I'm fucking lit.  That shit's 12%.

2.  I've never tried anything quite like it.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jenne

Well, shit, I have a 5% off coupon to BevMo, so I think this weekend I'll go and get some Dogfish if they have some.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Jenne on December 16, 2008, 04:28:21 AM
Well, shit, I have a 5% off coupon to BevMo, so I think this weekend I'll go and get some Dogfish if they have some.

Their World Wide Stout looks tempting, but skip it in favor of Stone's Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Jenne

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 16, 2008, 07:44:09 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 16, 2008, 04:28:21 AM

Their World Wide Stout looks tempting, but skip it in favor of Stone's Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.

I had an oatmeal stout recently--damn it was good.  Don't remember who by--they are becoming more de rigueur, I've noticed.

LMNO

CynicalCichilid

Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2008, 01:22:27 PM
Samuel Smith or GTFO.

:fap:

Fuck yeah. Sovereign or Stout from Samuel Smith's is a must-try. The stout beats exported Guinness hands down.

It's really cheap here too, about £1.50 for a pint of Sovereign at my local. I've got three pubs within a 30 second walking distance from my house which serve it.