News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I will be most certainly posting a review.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

:lulz:
guess what I just had on Sunday...

the helles

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

BadBeast

Have you tried this? Not sure if you can get it in US, but it's just about the biggest selling Lager in UK. It was originally brewed as a gift to Winston Churchill after WWII, from a grateful Danish population. It's very much an accquired taste, but those who accquire the taste rarely drink anything else.

Weighing in at 12% by volume, it's almost a Barley Wine.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Sir Squid Diddimus

a 12% LAGER?? I don't know if I'd wanna drink a whole one of those.
Sure I'd taste it, but I don't know if I'd like it. Sounds like it would taste similar to

BadBeast

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on December 10, 2010, 04:14:03 AM
a 12% LAGER?? I don't know if I'd wanna drink a whole one of those.
Sure I'd taste it, but I don't know if I'd like it. Sounds like it would taste similar to

Yeah, when I say it's an accquired taste, I mean it's a taste accquired by Alcoholics, from one end of England to the other. (Churchill included, I suppose) In Scotland, they prefer their own version,

But it's all pretty much of a muchness. I used to drink Special Brew all the time, but now, even a can of it makes me want to heave.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Triple Zero

Tennents! That's my favourite beer to drink when I'm in Edinburgh :) Basically just because it tastes the most closest to what I'd expect a normal beer to taste like, unlike that crazy weird "Ale" semi-drinkable liquid horror, which--as far as I've been able to divine from my brave attempteries at sampling the chemical concoction properties they try to pass off as "flavour"--is made:

By boiling and reducing normal beer, then replacing the lost water content with a 50/50 mixture of whey and, depending on some sick depraved sadism to lure people into believing "no this one tastes different than the other, honest", either the cooking water from potatoes, endives, the murky water left in a vase after a week, maybe bong water, any kind of watery liquid that's only theoretically fit for consumption, basically.

Served one or two degrees above room temperature, often with a knowing, gleeful grin.

Pay close attention and you'll see that the natives in fact do not actually drink it, but just order it in the hope that unlucky tourists will buy it and drink it. [The trick is, they actually pour the stuff into the elusive Scottish third reverse-nostril, a rudimentary cavity connected to the Scottish 3rd Spleen-Liver-Pool]
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BadBeast

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 10, 2010, 11:08:48 AM
Tennents! That's my favourite beer to drink when I'm in Edinburgh :) Basically just because it tastes the most closest to what I'd expect a normal beer to taste like, unlike that crazy weird "Ale" semi-drinkable liquid horror, which--as far as I've been able to divine from my brave attempteries at sampling the chemical concoction properties they try to pass off as "flavour"--is made:

By boiling and reducing normal beer, then replacing the lost water content with a 50/50 mixture of whey and, depending on some sick depraved sadism to lure people into believing "no this one tastes different than the other, honest", either the cooking water from potatoes, endives, the murky water left in a vase after a week, maybe bong water, any kind of watery liquid that's only theoretically fit for consumption, basically.

Served one or two degrees above room temperature, often with a knowing, gleeful grin.

Pay close attention and you'll see that the natives in fact do not actually drink it, but just order it in the hope that unlucky tourists will buy it and drink it. [The trick is, they actually pour the stuff into the elusive Scottish third reverse-nostril, a rudimentary cavity connected to the Scottish 3rd Spleen-Liver-Pool]
Yeah, but there's normal Tennant's, which is just a respectable 5% premium Lager, gallons of which, flow out of the taps every night in Scottish Pubs, and then there's "Super Tennant's"  £1.80 a can at Tesco's, full of nutritious, syrupy 12.5% "Trampagne", traditionally drunk with a 20mg diazepam chaser, it's devotees can often be seen, underneath bridges, stood warming themselves around a burning sofa, chuntering away, unintelligibly among themselves, or mugging aggressively begging from hapless passers by, with their cries of  "Geeza quid furra  swally, ya bassad!" before accidentally in their filthy trousers, and falling in the fire.      

NWC

I am drinking one of the best beers I've ever had: Paix-Dieu. It's brewed by Caulier, the same brewery that made the Christmas beer with the special bottle I posted a couple pages back.

Same bottle type this time, but the flavor is off the charts. It's an excellent blond with a hint of a honey flavor which is balanced perfectly with it's 10% abv. The smell reminds me of wonderful.

This beer was brewed during the full moon in September, and they only made 12,000 bottles, which means I'm going back to the store tomorrow morning to stock up, they only had a dozen or so, I picked a bottle up because I'd never seen it before.

(On the little moon under the metal bar, it's written "Plein lune du 23 septembre 2010" (full moon of september 23rd).)

If you come across a bottle of this, definitely get it.

ETA: I'd also gotten some Rochefort which I'll have tonight, but Paix-Dieu makes Rochefort look like Leffe.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Jenne

That beer looks familiar--I think I've had some of that recently...

NWC

It would have been very recently, from what I read it was released October 31st, I hadn't seen it until this afternoon.

and ohh was it good. Like I said my Rochefort tastes like Leffe now :P of course it's the 8 (70 eurocents cheaper than the 10!) but still

Jenne

I'm telling you, I think I bought this recently and had it.  I still have the bottles.  Or a lable similar...dammit!  My brain is mush.  My brothers brought something similar over the day of my dad's party and so I'm totally mixing it up with those beers as well.  Fuck.  Getting old sucks.

NWC

The problem when you drink a couple of them is that they encourage your forgetting of them :) at 10% it only takes a few

Jenne

:lulz:  I realize now how that sounded.  No, I mean, we had a couple of different brews, which stood out because they were different as in the bottle, but all the same TYPE of bottle.  My brothers didn't bring the one I'm thinking of, the one that sounds familiar to what you just put up--but it's still mixing with my brain signals.  I should just go back to the damned store and see if I can find it agin.

BadBeast

Quote from: Jenne on December 10, 2010, 09:56:44 PM
:lulz:  I realize now how that sounded.  No, I mean, we had a couple of different brews, which stood out because they were different as in the bottle, but all the same TYPE of bottle.  My brothers didn't bring the one I'm thinking of, the one that sounds familiar to what you just put up--but it's still mixing with my brain signals.  I should just go back to the damned store and see if I can find it agin.
And a few of it's friends too.  :D