News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

ITT, Squiddy reviews beer.

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, November 30, 2008, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Also, fuck anyone who says "it's still before noon, and you're DRINKING?"

It's fucking noon somewhere. It's also Turkey Day, and I'mma wating on my hens and for the Lions/Pats game to start.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: ϗ on November 25, 2010, 03:53:01 PM
Also, fuck anyone who says "it's still before noon, and you're DRINKING?"

It's fucking noon somewhere. It's also Turkey Day, and I'mma wating on my hens and for the Lions/Pats game to start.

its almost 4 in the afternoon where I am, Kai. But we have no turkey day.

Kai

I love thanksgiving, and it's for this reason. Namely, holidays (in general) are about getting together with friends and family and eating a whole lot of good food and drinking alcohol. But most holidays pass themselves off as being about something else. Christmas, for example. The xtians say it's about Christ, but its really about food, family and friends (plus gift giving). Same thing for Easter. Same thing for EVERY holiday. So, I like thanksgiving because it isn't passed off as something else than it actually is. Just like every holiday, Thanksgiving is about food family friends and alcohol, but explicitly so.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Sir Squid Diddimus

Who am I to judge. You drink the hell out of that beer before noon, Kai. Good on ya.

Yeah, we carry that beer and I thought of trying it. I just might now.

Last night I had a Tilberg Dutch brown ale. It was a good solid brown with a velvety mouth feel and lots of nutty notes. It smelled a little of caramel and brown sugar but wasn't heavy on those flavors. Overall, I liked it.

I followed it with a Smuttynose Robust Porter.
Tasted like an average chocolate stout, certainly no baltic porter. Not very note worthy. It's ok to drink but nothing fantastic. Same as all other Smutty products I've had.

Here are generic pics for reference:

I do like Sumtty's labels. Remind me of Jone's soda.

Suu

GS's friends worked at Smuttynose. He said they got paid in beer.  :fap:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Which would be awesome... if it wasn't Smuttynose.
I dunno, I'm just not a fan.

Squid- snotty pretty pretty princess

Xieante Antitheus

I have no idea how easy it is to find out of state (WI), but have any of you tried any of the New Glarus beers? By far my favorite brewery, runner up being Rogue in OR.

Toss up between Spotted Cow, Nutty Squirrel, and Totally Naked.

Also, they have just started carrying a new super dark lager at work from Texas... Shiner Black...
Perfect taste lying right between a lager and an ale. Makes me all sorts of happy in the pants.

Where is this Smuttynose out of? I've never seen it.

I am not who you think I am
I am not who I think I am
I am who you think I think I am

Perception & Intent

SOLVE ET COAGULA

Kai

Quote from: Xieante Antitheus on November 28, 2010, 01:04:55 AM
I have no idea how easy it is to find out of state (WI), but have any of you tried any of the New Glarus beers? By far my favorite brewery, runner up being Rogue in OR.

You can't get it out of state. I know, because I'm from WI, and I LOVE New Glarus. I've tried to get it out of state. I miss Central Waters, and Sprecher, and various other brews around the state. Dammit.

I can't wait to go home.  :sad:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm pretty fond of Rogue too... Dead Guy is my go-to when I go to Ducketts.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Squid Diddimus

I've heard of new glarus but haven't had it. a friend of mine went to WI 2 years ago and spoke of it.

Suu

I have a bottle of Pretty Things Jack d'Our chilling in my freezer. It's an American Saison...I wanted Hennepin, but I didn't want to bring a 4pk home on the bus, so I got this in a 750. It's local out of Cape Cod, and a husband and wife venture. I have yet to try it so I'll have a review in a bit.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Jasper

I was blown away when I tried this:

http://www.stonebrew.com/porter/

Their IPA was a bit too hoppy for me, but this was kind of an epiphany.

Xieante Antitheus

I can't stand IPAs, don't know quite what it is, but I have never found one I could stand. I just stick with my porters and ales.
I am not who you think I am
I am not who I think I am
I am who you think I think I am

Perception & Intent

SOLVE ET COAGULA

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sigmatic on December 01, 2010, 05:01:24 AM
I was blown away when I tried this:

http://www.stonebrew.com/porter/

Their IPA was a bit too hoppy for me, but this was kind of an epiphany.

I cannot say it enough on PD:  Stone's Ruination is my favorite ultra-IPA around, and their Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout is one of the best beers I have ever had, period.  Too fucking bad they don't make it anymore.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.