News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Strange Experiments Create Body-Swapping Experiences

Started by Telarus, December 04, 2008, 04:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/081202-body-swapping.html
QuoteScientists now have manipulated people's perceptions to make them think they have swapped bodies with another human or even a "humanoid body," experiencing the sensations that the other would feel and giving the illusion of being inside the other's body.
In real life, the cognitive neuroscientists at the Swedish medical university Karolinska Institutet succeeded in making subjects perceive the bodies of mannequins and other people as their own. The illusion also worked even when the two people differed in appearance or were of different sexes. It also worked whether the subject was immobile or was making voluntary movements. However, it was not possible to fool the subjects into identifying with a non-humanoid object, such as a chair or a large block.

A year ago, scientists achieved the illusion of an out-of-body experience in subjects, using virtual reality. The new research manipulates the brain even further — out of itself and into another body.
http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/081202-body-swapping.html
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

It's the little reality hacks like this that makes one question how much of really real reality we're experiencing, versus how much we're making up in our head.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 04, 2008, 05:47:57 PM
It's the little reality hacks like this that makes one question how much of really real reality we're experiencing, versus how much we're making up in our head.

Just because its "made up" in your head doesn't make it any less real.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

AFK

As it turns out, you aren't really real reality.  I made you up, so if you wanna keep living you need to start sending me $121 a week so I'll keep believing in you, thereby, allowing you to continue to exist.   :lol:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Kai on December 05, 2008, 12:04:25 PM

Well that's true. But this does lend to the idea that our brains are more easily fooled than we tend to think...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My only interest in this is how I can use it to masturbate.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 05, 2008, 02:49:22 PM

Well that's true. But this does lend to the idea that our brains are more easily fooled than we tend to think...

I think that one of the most important aspects of Discordia (and the BIP) is to constantly remind ourselves that we are always fooling ourselves as to what's "really out there".  Always.  ALL THE TIME.  EVEN RIGHT NOW.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 05, 2008, 03:16:33 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on December 05, 2008, 02:49:22 PM

I think that one of the most important aspects of Discordia (and the BIP) is to constantly remind ourselves that we are always fooling ourselves as to what's "really out there".  Always.  ALL THE TIME.  EVEN RIGHT NOW.

Agreed 100%

Sometimes we even fool ourselves about barstools ;-)

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: LMNO on December 05, 2008, 03:16:33 PM

Fooling ourselves?
or, just limited in scope as to our perception of it?

LMNO

If it was just limited perception, we would see the gaps.

We make shit up to create a cohesive worldview.

Often, the shit we make up has nothing to do with anything.

AFK

Humans thoroughly detest having a lack of control.  It starts from infancy and we never really outgrow it.  We just think that as we grow "smarter" we somehow have wrestled more control from our surroundings.  When in reality, I think it's pretty much just that we have more weapons and experience for dealing with what comes our way. 

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on December 05, 2008, 03:24:24 PM

We make shit up to create a cohesive worldview.

Often, the shit we make up has nothing to do with anything.

Very very true.  Starbucks Pebbles illustrates this quite nicely.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Elder Iptuous

that doesn't follow....
:?

the starbucks pebbles themselves are actually there.  the perception of that isn't self delusional....

perhaps im just channeling Ratatosk's pedantry atm.... :oops:

AFK

Quote from: Iptuous on December 05, 2008, 03:36:54 PM
that doesn't follow....
:?

the starbucks pebbles themselves are actually there.  the perception of that isn't self delusional....

perhaps im just channeling Ratatosk's pedantry atm.... :oops:

The pebbles are there.  But we make up their relationship to each other.  By seeing them connected as a Pentagon, by seeing them being intersected by lines that form a star, etc.,

How many entertain the thought that they actually have no relationship whatsoever and need not be connected?