News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Dudeism

Started by Cramulus, January 18, 2012, 03:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

There must be a topic about this somewhere already...

From what I can tell, Dudeism is another neophilic irreligion. It seems like a mix of Taoism and the Big Lebowski.

Quote from: http://dudeism.com/An ancient philosophy that preaches non-preachiness, practices as little as possible, and above all, uh...lost my train of thought there. Anyway, if you'd like to find peace on earth and goodwill, man, we'll help you get started. Right after a little nap.

QuoteThe idea is this: Life is short and complicated and nobody knows what to do about it. So don't do anything about it. Just take it easy, man. Stop worrying so much whether you'll make it into the finals. Kick back with some friends and some oat soda and whether you roll strikes or gutters, do your best to be true to yourself and others – that is to say, abide.

I found it because I found this weird version of the sacred chao while looking for copyleft imagery. This Discordian thinks dudeism and eris are in accordance, check it out:  http://dudeism.com/smf/index.php?topic=1973.0

Like us, they've even got their own version of the Tao Te Ching, the Dude De ching: http://dudeism.com/tao/ - this was clearly written in the same way we wrote the Chao Te Ching; they started with a chapter from the Tao Te Ching and played with it until it felt like something from The Big Lebowski.

much like Discordia, this is a big joke with a note of no-this-is-for-real at the core

Elder Iptuous

they've got fairly well attended gatherings, too, iirc...

Slurrealist

I am so into it, dude.
"You're free, and freedom is beautiful. It will take time to restore chaos...but we will..."

kingyak

The manifestos and such by most of their writers get old really fast, since there are only so many ways you can force lines from the movie into content (especially when there's not usually a lot being said when you disregard the movie lines) but the basic concept is solid and their FB feed is a good way to keep up with Lebowski-related news and merch.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

LMNO

Quote from: kingyak on January 18, 2012, 07:45:35 PM
The manifestos and such by most of their writers get old really fast, since there are only so many ways you can force lines from the movie into content (especially when there's not usually a lot being said when you disregard the movie lines) but the basic concept is solid and their FB feed is a good way to keep up with Lebowski-related news and merch.

kingyak

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 18, 2012, 07:49:20 PM
Quote from: kingyak on January 18, 2012, 07:45:35 PM

:mccain:
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

rong

wasn't peedee born in a bowling alley or something to that effect?

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cain

I dabbled in Dudeism once.  Not in 'Nam, of course.

Triple Zero

I really like that bowling-ball-yin-yang logo!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.