News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Zenarchist Swordsmen

Started by Telarus, December 04, 2008, 06:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 09, 2009, 01:14:10 AM
Quote from: Anomalous on March 09, 2009, 01:06:13 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 09, 2009, 12:39:27 AM
Quote from: Tempest Virago on March 08, 2009, 11:19:20 PM
Quote from: Telarus on December 21, 2008, 03:21:37 AM
Thanks for continuing the thread, Honey.

Mu-Mon-Kan # 14
QuoteNansen Cuts the Cat in Two

Nansen saw the monks of the eastern and western halls fighting over a cat. He seized the cat and told the monks: `If any of you say a word of Zen, you can save the cat.'

No one answered. So Nansen boldly cut the cat in two pieces.

That evening Joshu returned and Nansen told him about this. Joshu removed his sandals and, placing them on his head, walked out.

Nansen said: `If you had been there, you could have saved the cat.'

Mumon's Comment: Why did Joshu put his sandals on his head? If anyone answers this question, he will understand exactly how Nansen enforced the edict. If not, he should watch his own head.

Had Joshu been there,
    He would have enforced the edict oppositely.
    Joshu snatches the sword
    And Nansen begs for his life.

Does anyone need further commentary on this?

Also  :lulz: Put Shoe on Head!

I don't get it. At all. I think I'm too stupid for Zen. :(

Zen is bullshit.  Pseudo-mystical pinealist garbage.

You're quite adept at it.

Thank you for your opinion.

Now eat a dick.

First tell me what REAL mysticism is and I'll get right on that penis-chewing.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Telarus

Mu-Mon-Kan # 14

Nansen saw the monks of the eastern and western halls fighting over a cat. He seized the cat and told the monks: `If any of you say a word of Zen, you can save the cat.'

That evening Joshu returned and Nansen told him about this. Joshu removed his sandals and, placing them on his head, walked out.

Mumon's Comment: Why did Joshu put his sandals on his head? If anyone answers this question, he will understand exactly how Nansen enforced the edict. If not, he should watch his own head.

Had Joshu been there,
    Joshu snatches the sword

The essence of Zen lies in spontaneity, in 'pure action/being' not wrapped up in, debated with, hesitated about, or fantasized over ...using LANGUAGE and ABSTRACTION.

When Nansen confiscates the cat and threatens to kill it unless one of the monk can "say a word of Zen" he was challenging them to drop the Verbal Argument that they were having with each other.

SAYing a word of Zen is literally impossible. Nansen is demanding that the monks drop the negative linguistic karma/emotions that had them fighting with each other. They cannot, and the cat dies.

When Joshu hears this story, his reaction shows that he is a Zen Master. This is because, as a Zen Master.. any simple, spontaneous action that Joshu takes that does not copy another or get hesitated over and abstracted is a Word/Act of Zen. Also, Joshu is making a commentary on Nansen's actions. Something along the lines of "Killing that cat was as constructive as wearing my shoes on my head."

Finally, Mumon comments (quite correctly, IMO) that if Joshu had been there to see the cat threatened, he would have "Said a Word of Zen" by snatching Nansen's blade and placing Nansen in the same arbitrary conundrum that Nansen places the cat and 2 monks in.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anomalous on March 09, 2009, 01:16:55 AM

Mu-Mon-Kan # 14

Had Joshu been there,
    Joshu snatches the sword

Now eat a dick.

Naw.  After your little sniping fit, I'm far more interested in just brawling with you for the next 3 or 4 months.   :)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 09, 2009, 01:26:16 AM
Quote from: Anomalous on March 09, 2009, 01:16:55 AM

Mu-Mon-Kan # 14

Had Joshu been there,
    Joshu snatches the sword

Now eat a dick.

Naw.  After your little sniping fit, I'm far more interested in just brawling with you for the next 3 or 4 months.   :)

Good luck with that.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anomalous on March 09, 2009, 01:27:32 AM
Good luck with that.

Yes, yes.  Fuck off, asshole.

Thanks in advance.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Tempest Virago

Quote from: Telarus on March 09, 2009, 01:23:49 AM

Mu-Mon-Kan # 14

Had Joshu been there,
    Joshu snatches the sword

The essence of Zen lies in spontaneity, in 'pure action/being' not wrapped up in, debated with, hesitated about, or fantasized over ...using LANGUAGE and ABSTRACTION.

When Nansen confiscates the cat and threatens to kill it unless one of the monk can "say a word of Zen" he was challenging them to drop the Verbal Argument that they were having with each other.

SAYing a word of Zen is literally impossible. Nansen is demanding that the monks drop the negative linguistic karma/emotions that had them fighting with each other. They cannot, and the cat dies.

When Joshu hears this story, his reaction shows that he is a Zen Master. This is because, as a Zen Master.. any simple, spontaneous action that Joshu takes that does not copy another or get hesitated over and abstracted is a Word/Act of Zen. Also, Joshu is making a commentary on Nansen's actions. Something along the lines of "Killing that cat was as constructive as wearing my shoes on my head."

Finally, Mumon comments (quite correctly, IMO) that if Joshu had been there to see the cat threatened, he would have "Said a Word of Zen" by snatching Nansen's blade and placing Nansen in the same arbitrary conundrum that Nansen places the cat and 2 monks in.

Okay, that makes sense. I'm not sure whether or not I like it, but at least I get it now.

Telarus

The Great Person from time past
Had no fixed abode,
In famed mountains his traces hid,
As they grew old amid wind and frost.

From afar, I know your
White-rock hermitage,
Hidden in a haze
Of evergreen trees.

When the moon sets,
Mind-watching passes time;
Clouds arise
In your closed eyes.

Just before dawn, temple bells
Sound from neighboring peaks;
Waterfalls hang
thousands of feet
In emptiness.

Moss and lichen
Cover the cliff face;
A narrow, indistinct path
Leads to you.

- Chia Tao (779-843)

-=This is also going in the 'Define God' thread.=-
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Idiot

This reply doesn't involve thinking about anything other than thinking about not thinking about not thinking about anything else apart from thinking about this reply.

drjon

Urgh! X{P> The Stench of Zen!
--><--
Eris Broke my Hot Rod
The Appendix Discordia:
- The Semi-Official Quasi-Clandestine Bavarian Illuminati/Discordian Archives
- How The West Was Lost (Principia Discordia - The 1st Edition)
- The Apocrypha Discordia

The Good Reverend Roger

Inre:  The OP.

I find that, in a swordfight, I am concentrating entirely on drawing a pistol.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, a Koan:

A filthy apprentice approached the Maintenance Manager and asked, "what is the essence of maintenance?"  The Maintenance Manager responded by firing the dumbshit, for asking philosophical questions instead of oiling the machines.

Telarus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 28, 2009, 10:54:33 PM
Inre:  The OP.

I find that, in a swordfight, I am concentrating entirely on drawing a pistol.

:lulz:
Telarus, KSC,

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 28, 2009, 10:56:38 PM
Also, a Koan:

A filthy apprentice approached the Maintenance Manager and asked, "what is the essence of maintenance?"  The Maintenance Manager responded by firing the dumbshit, for asking philosophical questions instead of oiling the machines.

Fuckin deeeeeep, man.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on September 29, 2009, 03:02:34 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 28, 2009, 10:56:38 PM
Also, a Koan:

Fuckin deeeeeep, man.

A walk in the ocean of my soul would scarcely get your toes damp.

And those machines ain't gonna oil themselves.

Halfbaked1

I learned alot of my concepts of Zen from reading the Tao of Jeet Kune Do.  It wasn't until later that I read Musashi.  But I think my best summation of my search for Zen in my life is best said as...

I spent years searching for the understanding of Zen before I sat down and closed my eyes.

I don't seem so interested in understanding it now, so much as I simply enjoy the moments of Zen that happen in my life.