News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Looking for a publishing house

Started by Jack Grants, December 09, 2008, 12:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Cram, was this on Facebook, or just intrepid RL investigation on your friend's part?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

intrepid RL investigation. Sorry for the facebook verbiage.  :p

Jack Grants

I totally agree, Cramulus. At first, I was just sending manuscripts at random but I'm sure some publishing houses never even started reading it. Now I try to contact them first to know if they could be interested but it's not so easy to find in the humorous weird fiction genre. Hence my post on here.
Provider of intergalactic mess since... I don't remember when

Dr Goofy

Quote from: Jack Grants on December 10, 2008, 09:40:38 PM
Yes, Dr Goofy, any tips ?

Just making a bad joke!

As for publishing I know a lot of self publishing crap.

Best idea is read up on this site http://www.fearlessbooks.com/PublishingGuide.html

Jack Grants

Dr Goofy

Suu

If anything, Lulu at least gets you in-print for free unlike most self-publishers that will charge you like $400+ to get started. I have my book through Lulu and I've had decent success with it. You can pay them for an ISBN number and they will distribute to Amazon.com, BN, Borders, etc. Plus, once you can show you've sold x amount of copies, that helps when you propose to the big publishers.

It's not easy. It may not be cheap. But the trick is to stay very diligent. This is something I've done a good amount of research on for my own writings.

Good luck!

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jack Grants

Thanks Suu, I'm gonna keep looking for publishing houses for now and the Lulu type of publishing might be useful if nothing else works.

hooplala

Personally, when I get my next book finished I am going to publish through Lulu... I'm sick of the way the publishing industry works, and would like to try to change it.

For some reason it is perfectly reasonable and respectable to produce your own music album, but if you publish and distribute your own book you are considered some sort of hack, which seems blatantly stupid to me.  At least if I publish my own book I can completely control the content, the layout, the cover design, and ultimately the distribution.  There is a major bookselling store line in Canada that I think I could talk into carrying my book, but my main focus will be making sure every used bookstore I go to will have a copy.  Fuck publishers.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

the conventional logic is that the publishing industry is a quality-filter, and only books worth reading will make it past the filter. But this is the Information Age, and self-publishing is the peer-to-peer networking of print.

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on December 11, 2008, 04:01:56 PM
the conventional logic is that the publishing industry is a quality-filter, and only books worth reading will make it past the filter. But this is the Information Age, and self-publishing is the peer-to-peer networking of print.

It just seems odd to me that this same bias doesn't seem to affect musicians producing their own work.  Even new musicians for the most part.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

maybe it's because people have been recording their own music since like Edison

but printing and distributing your own books without an industry hookup is a very new phenomenon

If we ever see a self-published book on the NY Times Bestseller list, we'll know we've broken that barrier.

hooplala

Quite true.

Well, I'm going to try...

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Jack Grants

Courageous initiative, BAWHEED, I understand your point of view.