News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Wikipedia had it coming...

Started by Zenpeanut, December 10, 2008, 11:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

yeah, I agree, but the average shmuck who comes to learn about Discordia isn't even going to read the Principia, they're just going to read the wikipedia article. (citation: my little brother) So I think it's an important battleground. A lot of the wikipedia editors are tards, but they're primates, and we're pretty good at those reindeer games.

It doesn't surprise me that ED has brought out the worst in wikipedia's editors, but I don't think their experience is indicative of what kind of experience we'll have.

Edit:
this may be somewhat moot because I'm willing to bet no one here has the drive to do all this anyway.  :p

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cramulus on December 11, 2008, 06:08:47 PM
yeah, I agree, but the average shmuck who comes to learn about Discordia isn't even going to read the Principia, they're just going to read the wikipedia article. (citation: my little brother) So I think it's an important battleground. A lot of the wikipedia editors are tards, but they're primates, and we're pretty good at those reindeer games.

It doesn't surprise me that ED has brought out the worst in wikipedia's editors, but I don't think their experience is indicative of what kind of experience we'll have.

IAWTC

I have a number of friends that talk about Discordianism and they send people to Wikipedia... I've told them to send people here... but apparently, at least some of them, find this place to be a shark pit which they don't want to send their friends to. Of course, there's nothing inherently wrong about letting Wikipedia spread disinformation....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaADQTeZRCY
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on December 11, 2008, 06:08:47 PM

Edit:
this may be somewhat moot because I'm willing to bet no one here has the drive to do all this anyway.  :p

OK, but I want to get my objections out upfront.  I really don't think the atmosphere at Wikipedia is conducive to sharing information or the truth, but if you really want to try it...

However, on the assumption of failure, I suggest we set up a "What is Discordianism" page here, a reading list, spam the hell out of the link and at the same time sabotage the Wiki entry in as many ways as possible.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I kind of think that Wikipedia will catch up in due time, and we should ignore it and keep working on the projects that make US happy.

One thing I would really like to see is a Golden Sphere of Possibility version of the BIP, to be published in the same volume. If authors would be willing, perhaps, to riff off their own pieces but make a "light and shiny" version, and then they could be published together back-to-back. I think it would beef the book up enough to justify a real ISBN-having version.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 11, 2008, 06:48:24 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2008, 06:43:36 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 11, 2008, 06:25:50 PM
I would submit a GSP-type piece for a separate volume.

Philosophically, I disagree with having a BIP/GSP volume.  Because it could seem to suggest that somehow the BIP itself was incomplete or lacking in some way. 

It is. 

I guess what I mean, it that it would seem to give in to that common complaint we've heard "It's too dark".  Having a GSP right along with it would seem to, rightly or wrongly, validate that idea.  Unless of course we somehow contsruct it so it is clear that it isn't validating that complaint.

OR

I'll just shut up now.  

I actually felt like having a "shiny" companion volume that says essentially the same thing the BIP says would help understand people where the BIP is coming from, and reduce their knee-jerk "this is negative" action. But I'm willing to go with the flow. I don't want to edit the thing, just publish it, and it has to be big enough to be worth the expense.

It will probably cost me about $400 to get started, assuming ALL I am doing is acting as a gateway/financier to get the books published and available through Ingram. My original goal was to do it when all my debts were paid off, which would have been last month if Moxley had stuck around. At my current rate, they won't be paid off for six more months, but even so, that's not a terrible timeline, especially if we want to fatten up the BIP.

It would bring my heart much joy to see more Discordian works of literature by our little band of troublemakers published. So it would basically be a vanity press for Discordians... oh well! It would still be out there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

$400, hmm?

Let me think about this.

LMNO
-Not a bag of money, but has been known to throw wads of cash at stupid ideas.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2008, 07:11:15 PM
$400, hmm?

Let me think about this.

LMNO
-Not a bag of money, but has been known to throw wads of cash at stupid ideas.

IMO the best possible way anyone could help make this a reality is to volunteer time and writing and art to make the book actually happen, while I focus on building the business end... and then, help me recoup costs by actually buying the book afterwards. I don't ever expect to break even on it, and if I did any profit would go immediately into funding the next project. I want to keep entirely separate accounts for this project, so it's easy for me to see how much I'm spending on it. My reasoning is that if I take a bunch of monetary investments and then drop the ball, everyone will be rightfully pissed, but if I only put my own money in, and other people put work in, then even if I drop the ball they will still have the fruits of their labor and can just send it to Lulu.

AFK

From what I understand, Syn made money on his version of the PD.  Of course, that's the PD.  But, with some creative marketing and word of mouth, I bet you could at least break even if not make a little bit of scratch on it. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Fuquad

Quote from: revidc on December 11, 2008, 03:41:13 PM
Yup!  Fuckers would not know mittens and/or win if it bit them on the nads.

Although, every time I try and change the main page to reflect a more accurate snapshot of discordia nowadays, they change it back to their old meanderings. Coz obviously they are realy realy real discordians, and well, I guess Syn just plain does not exist or something, I guess we are all just fiction in some strange meta novela.

Feckers. Now I've got an existential crisis on my hands. IF I EVEN HAVE HANDS!!!!

On the subject of discordian lit, what about stuff that is obviously discordian in nature, yet not acknowledged as such, like this book I just read called the telivisionary oracle. Had no mention of the words Eris, or Discordia in it, yet was all about reality tunneling and pineal glands. and menstruation. . . odd book.

What about spoken references to discordian catchphrases on TV, and in video games etc. I've got a few jotted down somewhere.

If you haven't read the book it can be found Here

As far as adding him into discorida I'm pretty sure that Christianity has been able to decide which writings apply to their faith and added them into the bible. Hell look at the mormon church they have all kinds of writtings that aren't in a bible you would find at a catholics house. Put a announcment in the next intermittens that the folks at Peady have issued a statment that "the Televisionary oracle" is considered a part of every Discordians education whether they read it or not.

THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

LMNO

Can we yank the sucky bits and shove them into the Apocrypha/"Solitary Confinement"?

Fuquad

THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Manta Obscura

Quote from: username on December 11, 2008, 08:05:50 PM
Quote from: revidc on December 11, 2008, 03:41:13 PM
Yup!  Fuckers would not know mittens and/or win if it bit them on the nads.

Although, every time I try and change the main page to reflect a more accurate snapshot of discordia nowadays, they change it back to their old meanderings. Coz obviously they are realy realy real discordians, and well, I guess Syn just plain does not exist or something, I guess we are all just fiction in some strange meta novela.

Feckers. Now I've got an existential crisis on my hands. IF I EVEN HAVE HANDS!!!!

On the subject of discordian lit, what about stuff that is obviously discordian in nature, yet not acknowledged as such, like this book I just read called the telivisionary oracle. Had no mention of the words Eris, or Discordia in it, yet was all about reality tunneling and pineal glands. and menstruation. . . odd book.

What about spoken references to discordian catchphrases on TV, and in video games etc. I've got a few jotted down somewhere.

If you haven't read the book it can be found Here

As far as adding him into discorida I'm pretty sure that Christianity has been able to decide which writings apply to their faith and added them into the bible. Hell look at the mormon church they have all kinds of writtings that aren't in a bible you would find at a catholics house. Put a announcment in the next intermittens that the folks at Peady have issued a statment that "the Televisionary oracle" is considered a part of every Discordians education whether they read it or not.

Rob Breszney . . . Brezny . . . Brez-

Forget it.

That dude is great. The Dayton Daily News gets his Horoscope column every Sunday. It's trippy, to say the least.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Cramulus

for organization's sake, I set up a thread in Think For Yourself Shmuck for the BIPV3WTF stuff.

:pax:

Cain

I can split stuff off, if people want.

Cramulus

I think that would be cool, in case people want to comment on the wikipedia talk page and all that jazz