News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

Wikipedia had it coming...

Started by Zenpeanut, December 10, 2008, 11:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Iason Ouabache

One of the biggest problems with trying to get our edits to stick in Wikipedia are the "No Original Research" and "Verifiability" policies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_original_research
QuoteWikipedia does not publish original research or original thought. This includes unpublished facts, arguments, speculation, and ideas; and any unpublished analysis or synthesis of published material that serves to advance a position. This means that Wikipedia is not the place to publish your own opinions, experiences, or arguments. Citing sources and avoiding original research are inextricably linked: to demonstrate that you are not presenting original research, you must cite reliable sources that are directly related to the topic of the article, and that directly support the information as it is presented.

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability
QuoteThe threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth—that is, whether readers are able to check that material added to Wikipedia has already been published by a reliable source, not whether we think it is true. Editors should provide a reliable source for quotations and for any material that is challenged or likely to be challenged, or the material may be removed.

The stuff we are wanting to add is original source material, which is strangely not enough for them.  What we need to try to do is try to establish second-hand sources for our stuff. Nigel's plan would help take care of this. Failing that, i say we go after Discordipedia.  They've got too much Uncle BadTouch BS there right now. Either we take up arms and start a massive edit war with them or we just undercut them and replace their link on the Wikipedia page with one to the BIP wiki.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

I have no objections to boarding Discordipedia en masse and infecting it with our memes.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on December 11, 2008, 09:42:12 PM
I have no objections to boarding Discordipedia en masse and infecting it with our memes.

Agreed.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

the last yatto

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 11, 2008, 04:54:47 PM

I think the BIP should eventually be published in some form.  

why not a  deluxe Etcetera Discordia with the BIP as an appendix at the end maybe even upside down...
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the last yatto

moar planning needs im sure,
starting small with ambush guriella editting,
i approve this as a GASM
maybe the nation could be requested as well

opening shot:

edit everything down to bare bears and add many footnotes.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cramulus

:lulz:
I love you, you wonderful bastard

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: revidc on December 14, 2008, 08:04:47 AM
So, basically, to get whatever we want taken as wikipedia LAW, we have to simply self print a .pdf to lulu.com and then get an isbn automatically generated to it, then that counts as citable proofs.

Right?

because if so . . . I intend to have a little fun.

QuoteI have no objections to boarding Discordipedia en masse and infecting it with our memes.

When? I'm in.

Not quite, an ISBN through lulu is $150.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

When did you run it? Makes a diff... also, who the ISBN belongs to matters.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dunno if you're up with the ISBN controversies as of late.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh interesting, Lulu is running a promotion that includes a free ISBN, but they retain ownership of the ISBN and become the legal publishers of your book. I'm a little disturbed by what that means for copyright, as they don't elucidate. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, basically, for a long time a block of ISBNs was not terribly expensive, and you could not buy them singly directly... you had to go through any number of price-raping vanity presses to get a single one, and they retained ownership. Then, Bowker decided to re-initiate their own price-raping scheme, and is selling them directly for an exorbitant price, and at the same time has jacked the prices on blocks of ISBNs by about 90%.

Some small publishers are happy about this, many are not.

Cramulus

<off topic> how difficult is it to sell lulu books on amazon, then?

and: do we know anyone with wikipedia skillz that could answer that question for us? Because soon there will be a print version of the Et Cetera Discordia, and if print & review really is a hallmark of legitimacy, that will "legitimize" a lot of our projects.

drjon

Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2008, 02:03:24 PM
... soon there will be a print version of the Et Cetera Discordia...

Do you have a publisher yet? Email me if not.
--><--
Eris Broke my Hot Rod
The Appendix Discordia:
- The Semi-Official Quasi-Clandestine Bavarian Illuminati/Discordian Archives
- How The West Was Lost (Principia Discordia - The 1st Edition)
- The Apocrypha Discordia

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: drjon on December 19, 2008, 01:37:52 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2008, 02:03:24 PM
... soon there will be a print version of the Et Cetera Discordia...

Do you have a publisher yet? Email me if not.

Back off man, I wanna do it!   :argh!:

Just kidding, I have no idea how soon I'll be able to... I have a six-month timeline that seems reasonable, but I can't guarantee anything, so if someone else wants to jump in and do it, hell of do it.