News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

On Being a Nobody

Started by Brotep, December 17, 2008, 03:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: LMNO on December 18, 2008, 07:10:18 PM
Ipt, I think your use of the word "fear" is a loaded term.
i assure you, it's completely hollow.

Jenne

He's picking up on it from the -phobia of the Xenophobia in the diagram.

LMNO

Yeah, true.  But the literal intepretation of "fear" evokes emotions that don't exactly match the term "racist" to me.

Bluntly put, to me racism seems to be the belief that when there is a human being who is somehow different than you in a specific way (in this case, global geographic genetic characteristics), that makes them less than human.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: LMNO on December 18, 2008, 07:27:52 PM
Yeah, true.  But the literal intepretation of "fear" evokes emotions that don't exactly match the term "racist" to me.

Bluntly put, to me racism seems to be the belief that when there is a human being who is somehow different than you in a specific way (in this case, global geographic genetic characteristics), that makes them less than human.

Ok...there we go.
see. some people are not so strict that they require feelings of supremacy in order to be racist.    By your definition, if someone wants to simply live separately from members of another race, but they don't feel that they are necessarily better, or the others are lesser, then they are not actually racist.  Others wouldn't agree...

that's the distinction that i was angling at, i guess...

AFK

Quote from: Iptuous on December 18, 2008, 07:35:56 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 18, 2008, 07:27:52 PM

Ok...there we go.
see. some people are not so strict that they require feelings of supremacy in order to be racist.    By your definition, if someone wants to simply live separately from members of another race, but they don't feel that they are necessarily better, or the others are lesser, then they are not actually racist.  Others wouldn't agree...

that's the distinction that i was angling at, i guess...

But if someone wants to live separately from members of another race, some kind of throught process must have occurred to come to that conclusion.  So what kinds of thoughts would occur to lead one to wanting to live separate from another race that doesn't infer some kind of sub-par assessment of the race(s) in question? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

"live separately from"...

Interesting sort of distinction.

LMNO

A fucking "gotcha" question?  Really?

"What's your definition of X?"
"X is made up of Ys."
"Really?  But this X has a Z in it!"

But to your point, Why don't they want to live near another race?  What are the core motivations?

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 18, 2008, 07:38:07 PM
But if someone wants to live separately from members of another race, some kind of throught process must have occurred to come to that conclusion.  So what kinds of thoughts would occur to lead one to wanting to live separate from another race that doesn't infer some kind of sub-par assessment of the race(s) in question? 
Well, perhaps it's simply aesthetics....

AFK

Quote from: Iptuous on December 18, 2008, 07:40:22 PM

Ok, you're going to need to draw that one out a little more. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: LMNO on December 18, 2008, 07:39:14 PM
A fucking "gotcha" question?  Really?

"What's your definition of X?"
"X is made up of Ys."
"Really?  But this X has a Z in it!"

But to your point, Why don't they want to live near another race?  What are the core motivations?

no. it's not a 'gotcha' question....
i just want to know what the working definition is here.
I not trying to imply that you 'admitted' some inconsitency or anything....
nobody's really made any assertions yet....

Fuquad

Aesthetics?
You mean to say that this hypothetical person doesn't believe that members of a certain race have the ability to be aesthetically pleasing?

THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 18, 2008, 07:41:51 PM

Ok, you're going to need to draw that one out a little more. 

well.... some here have expressed that they prefer one race of person or another for romantic involvement.  That's an aesthetic assessment....
some people simply want to live in a less diverse environment, i would guess.  There is not necessarily feelings of superiority/inferiority associated with that.
Whether this is plausible or not is a side question.

Jenne

Why don't we take the opposite, and I'll give you a more concrete example:  My husband refuses to live in the Midwest, esp the countryside, because he wants to live among diversity.  That living among just ONE subset of individuals is cloistering to him, and he feels like the can breathe better (his words, not mine) when he lives in and amongst a huge bevy of mixed races, identities and individuals.

Is he racist?

Flip that around and say the opposite--is that person racist?

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Jenne on December 18, 2008, 07:51:47 PM
Why don't we take the opposite, and I'll give you a more concrete example:  My husband refuses to live in the Midwest, esp the countryside, because he wants to live among diversity.  That living among just ONE subset of individuals is cloistering to him, and he feels like the can breathe better (his words, not mine) when he lives in and amongst a huge bevy of mixed races, identities and individuals.

Is he racist?

Flip that around and say the opposite--is that person racist?

good point...
he is making decisions based on race, but is presumably not of the mindset that one is superior to the other.  Some people's definition of racism would apply to him though...

LMNO

I don't know if that's racist, Jenne.  I think that it's a desire for multiculturalism, in that as you present it, he wouldn't want to live in any homogeneous group, regardless of what that race was.

Ipt brings up an interesting point when he introduced sexual attraction.  Run with it, Ipt.