News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

On Being a Nobody

Started by Brotep, December 17, 2008, 03:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

saint aini's hoity toity thread reminding us n00bs that you're nobody till somebody loves you on the internets has inspired me.

Doubtless many of you have read the Hitchhiker's Guide series, and some may remember the Total Perspective Vortex, an ingenious torture device which completely annihilates a person's ego by showing them their place in the universe as a whole, from a god's-eye view.

I wonder, would that be such a terrible--or even painful--thing?

IMO being a nobody comes as a great relief--it makes the burden of things like productivity so much lighter, makes you free to create art.

The real tragedy of human life is not the transience of it, so much as the all too common inability to consider anything outside the confines of good days, bad days and assumptions.

Being no one means you are empowered to create meaning, because no one will read your whiny LiveJournal posts.

Thoughts?

East Coast Hustle

I agree in that I have chosen to draw a very hard line between pursuit of personal power and pursuit of recognition. I think that finding a way to attain the one while avoiding the other is a very powerful thing. Anonymity is not only a blessing but a very useful tool.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

I think anyone who's gotten any bad press whatsoever can attest to the fact it's better to NOT be notorious, let alone famous.  Even being well-known for the RIGHT reasons (and those vary from person to person/situation to situation) is a hardship on many levels.

hooplala

It should also be noted, lest anyone should mistakenly think otherwise, that Aini is a racist doofus.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

hooplala

Quote from: Cramulus on December 17, 2008, 05:04:44 PM
:deadhorse:

Quite true, but I wanted to make sure all new people were aware.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Brotep

So, this is because I'm black?

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Elder Iptuous

are there any notorious racism debate threads that i could be pointed to for enlightenment?

Brotep

Quote from: Iptuous on December 17, 2008, 10:51:46 PM
are there any notorious racism debate threads that i could be pointed to for enlightenment?

God I hope so

ternechto

Around the age of about 22 I recalled less and less dreams waking each morning. So now, that comparitively microscopic consciousness that drifts about 16 hours each day doesn't carry over. My point of reference is no longer engaging strange reflections about why I decided to show up to grade school with no clothes on. If I were to recall such a dream tomorrow, I'd probably reflect more on, "Why am I reflecting on a dream where I showed up to grade school with no clothes on?"

Because the Total Experience Vortex doesn't exactly fit certain job descriptions. At some point my focus is shifted back to getting the job done. Creativity can be rythmic and keeps an effective beat when uninterrupted by some contemplative state of mind. The ego being a part of the whole, it's job performance goes up when there's a task at hand and no one else is allotted said task. Also, I'm pretty sure the universe would fall apart if we all continually revisited prepubescent neurosis' while awake. Or at the very least, we'd all choose to be exhibitionists.

Win win, so never mind.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Net on December 18, 2008, 12:35:28 AM
Quote from: Anton LaGay on December 17, 2008, 10:53:26 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on December 17, 2008, 10:51:46 PM
God I hope so
Enjoy:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=14989.0
Thanks.
It's interesting to see where ppl stand on that.
also. I take it Anton LaGay is the same person as Diseris in that thread?

Brotep

Quote from: Net on December 18, 2008, 12:35:28 AM
Enjoy:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=14989.0

Oustanding work.

Quote from: Iptuous on December 18, 2008, 01:07:53 AM
I take it Anton LaGay is the same person as Diseris in that thread?

What, because we both have Bruce Campbell as our avatar?  Bow before the might of the Bruce.