News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Belief and conviction - a n00b question

Started by indifferent betty, December 18, 2008, 02:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indifferent betty

If it is taken that we all have our own paradigms, as we all perceive reality differently, what is true to myself may not necessarily be true to the next person and vice-versa. With this in mind, if "Person A" believes in something and "Person B" believes in something else which contradicts the former's belief, is the former right in affirming their belief to the latter as an absolute? Is prefixing a statement with "In my opinion" every time political correctness to excess? Do we have the right to express our beliefs, however factual and convincing they seem to us, as facts at all?

This is bugging me. Can I take some opinions please.
-----------------
-I don't need intelligent drugs Tom, because I don't know what they are.

Brotep

There is no such right, and no such prohibition.

"IMO" is implicit.

the last yatto

Only if your person C may you attempt anything
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

rong

Quote from: YattoDobbs on December 18, 2008, 09:45:38 AM
Only if your person C may you attempt anything

that's, like, just your opinion, man
                               \
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Manta Obscura

Quote from: cosmic spagtazm on December 18, 2008, 02:01:13 AM
If it is taken that we all have our own paradigms, as we all perceive reality differently, what is true to myself may not necessarily be true to the next person and vice-versa. With this in mind, if "Person A" believes in something and "Person B" believes in something else which contradicts the former's belief, is the former right in affirming their belief to the latter as an absolute? Is prefixing a statement with "In my opinion" every time political correctness to excess? Do we have the right to express our beliefs, however factual and convincing they seem to us, as facts at all?

I want to answer your question seriously, but I'm finding it a bit too conceptual without any concrete examples to put with it. So:

Person A hates cold weather. Person B doesn't. PA says to PB, " Damn, this weather is wack, yo" (because PA is down with tha' street). PB replies, "No, good sir, these weather conditions are not inclement. They are, instead, quite agreeable to one's disposition" (because PB is one highfalutin' sonofabitch).

I see now problem in not using IMO here. Same thing with using it:

PA: "The way I sees it, this weather be trippin'." PB: "In my humble opinion, this weather is quite nice." Still seems to work.

Another example, less innocuous:

PA: "God created the world in six literal days, the Earth is just over 6000 years old, and all land-bound animals in the world were within walking distance of a man who made a boat for a flood. God said so." PB: "The universal configuration of bodies formed as the result of some as-yet-unknown process that is presumed to have been a rather large "Bang." The Earth is really fucking old. Like, billions of years. Life progressed from the chance configuration of protein strains to create DNA, which developed over countless millenia into birds and Republicans and stuff. Various archeological and scientific evidences prove so."

In this example, the addition of "IMO" would not change anything of what they are saying, other than to assert the fact that they believe what they're saying (which should, of course, be implied by their statement and how they word it). In this and other instances where one is asserting some that they believe to be true based on various evidences, the addition of "IMO" does not usually seem to add anything significant to the dialogue, other than a way to soften the blow of the assertion one is making. Of course, if one's intent is to persuade or use rhetoric effectively, the appropriate use of "IMO" qualifiers is justified.

All in all, IMO has its uses in minute, rhetorical discourse, but for most interactions it is an unnecessary and implied qualifier that neither adds to nor detracts from the conversation. Well, that's my humble opinion, at least.  :)

The greater discursive and behavioral patterns that one should be on the lookout for are the tendency to impose one's data or opinion on another person when that person is unreceptive. It's one thing to have an opinion about something, or to assert that something is true; it's a whole other ballgame if one is to brazenly assert that another is somehow lesser for not believing one's idea.

For example, in the previous instance, PA could have said, following PB's statement, "Well, that's definitely evidence that is unsupported by the will of God as written in the Bible, but I'm curious to learn more. Please continue." And vice versa. Or, PA could have said, "No! You're wrong! You're a dirty atheist, and shall burn in hell if you don't believe in the Word!" And vice versa. The former would have opened up the conversation, and the latter would have shut it down and imposed PA's pattern upon PB.

Short story very long, the important thing to remember about conversing is not to pepper one's language to make it acceptable to others. Instead, the most effective way to communicate is to not try to shut down the discourse by shutting up your brain and shutting out what others have to say.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

hooplala

"In my opinion" is honest.  It's as simple as that.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

It's hard to give a generalized rule when there are so many possible applications. In general, I think more people could benefit from learning to verbally distinguish facts from their opinions. Miscommunication frequently occurs when people say stuff like, "Modern art is crap" when they meant to say "I don't like any of the modern art I've seen". More specific language would resolve a lot of headache for a LOT of people.

But on the other side of the spectrum, when you apply e-prime too much, you end up spending so much time qualifying statements and addressing grammatical minutiae that accuracy becomes an obstacle to communication. Sometimes it seems like the extreme e-prime camp will argue with any statement which isn't so vague that it loses all concrete meaning.

So I think a balance is necessary

LMNO

Opinions generally seem to involve feelings, or is subjective.  "I like Fall Out Boy better than The Jonas Brothers," "It's a good thing when sulpher rains down from the sky," "Your mother is ugly."

You can't really say that it's an "opinion" that an object falls at 32 m/s2 in the earth's gravity field.

I suppose you can get around a lot of e-prime by referencing your sources.  "The bible says the earth is 6000 years old" v. "Carbon dating techniques show the earth is 4.5 billion years old." 

On the other hand, your mother really is ugly.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Manta Obscura

Quote from: LMNO on December 18, 2008, 03:35:38 PM
Opinions generally seem to involve feelings, or is subjective.  "I like Fall Out Boy better than The Jonas Brothers," "It's a good thing when sulpher rains down from the sky," "Your mother is ugly."

You can't really say that it's an "opinion" that an object falls at 32 m/s2 in the earth's gravity field.

I suppose you can get around a lot of e-prime by referencing your sources.  "The bible says the earth is 6000 years old" v. "Carbon dating techniques show the earth is 4.5 billion years old." 

On the other hand, your mother really is ugly.

:lulz:

In my opinion, this is hilarious.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I tend to agree with the general concensus here (which may seem odd since I tend to eprime a lot). However, I've found e-prime to be most useful in personal application... that is, when I use e-prime it seems to act as a constant reminder that my Opinion is just that.

Of course, it can be implied that your opinion is IMO... but this bit Do we have the right to express our beliefs, however factual and convincing they seem to us, as facts at all? is a bit different.

First, as with everything else "Do As Thou Will" there is no question of having the 'right'... However, IMO, there is a question of Good Idea/Bad Idea.

Is it a Good Idea to express opinion as fact? I think NO.

First, it may create semantic issues with others as Cram pointed out. Second, it may create neurolinguistic issues with You... you may actually start believing that your opinion IS Truth... and that seems like a very Bad Idea to me.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Richter

Quote from: cosmic spagtazm on December 18, 2008, 02:01:13 AM

:barstool:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jenne

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 18, 2008, 04:48:24 PM
I tend to agree with the general concensus here (which may seem odd since I tend to eprime a lot). However, I've found e-prime to be most useful in personal application... that is, when I use e-prime it seems to act as a constant reminder that my Opinion is just that.

Of course, it can be implied that your opinion is IMO... but this bit Do we have the right to express our beliefs, however factual and convincing they seem to us, as facts at all? is a bit different.

First, as with everything else "Do As Thou Will" there is no question of having the 'right'... However, IMO, there is a question of Good Idea/Bad Idea.

Is it a Good Idea to express opinion as fact? I think NO.

First, it may create semantic issues with others as Cram pointed out. Second, it may create neurolinguistic issues with You... you may actually start believing that your opinion IS Truth... and that seems like a very Bad Idea to me.

I have nothing wrong with the above, and in fact have said as such myself.

I think many times, though, someone states something STRONGLY as IF it were fact in their heads, and even though you can pretty much take it for GRANTED it's opinion, and it's never stated otherwise, there's a general thought that the speaker's in doubt about this.  And therefore needs to be told it's JUST their opinion.  When that's all they've been saying all along, but instead of hearing "it's just your opinion," they hear "you're wrong and everything you say is wrong."

It's an extreme disconnect on BOTH sides.

Also, unless someone is referencing sources, I usually assume as they are speaking it's their opinion coming out.

LMNO

Well, it seems like you get to a point where you need to either disagree, or tacitly agree.

For example:  "AIDS is a punishment by God."

What do you say? Sure, it's only his opinion, but in a way, it's a challenge, as well.  Technically, if it's an opinon, it can't be "wrong".  But at the same time, you're not going to agree with him.