News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Tuvan Throat Singing Thread

Started by Brotep, December 27, 2008, 05:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

Bu🤠ns

:lulz: :lulz:

AWESOMENESS
:fuckmittens: :fuckmittens:

mrs burns: is this the sweetish chef?

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Burns on December 27, 2008, 07:02:22 AM

"Swedish," but :lol: anyway because I can do a glorious Swedish Chef Muppet impression, but I'm pretty sure I can't throat sing to save my life.

Brotep

Quote from: Cainad on December 27, 2008, 03:10:56 PM
Quote from: Burns on December 27, 2008, 07:02:22 AM

...I can do a glorious Swedish Chef Muppet impression...

Well what are you waiting for?  Post it on here!   :lol:

Kai

Now the question is, could you teach me how to do that?

Kai,

Can get the overtones, but not to that extent.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Brotep

Maybe...You know it's mostly trial and error since there are no words (that I know) to describe the exact technique.

I can tell you this...

• using a (gently) pressed voice brings out the overtones more because the fundamental pitch is softer and has less vibrato
  • switching from nasal throat singing to the Tuvan way (tip of tongue curled back to touch the palate or alveolar ridge) improved my sound a lot
  • like with most music, jamming with songs recorded by pros is helpful
  • getting used to singing a constant pitch while focusing on the overtones makes them way more noticeable; if the fundamental pitch changes, the movement of the overtones will lose the focus

Now if you know how to do kargyraa, that's what I wanna know.

Bu🤠ns

Brotep

thanks, burns, that looks to be a decent site
may not have even seen it before

Kai

Quote from: Antonymous on December 27, 2008, 06:52:42 PM
Maybe...You know it's mostly trial and error since there are no words (that I know) to describe the exact technique.

I can tell you this...

• using a (gently) pressed voice brings out the overtones more because the fundamental pitch is softer and has less vibrato
  • switching from nasal throat singing to the Tuvan way (tip of tongue curled back to touch the palate or alveolar ridge) improved my sound a lot
  • like with most music, jamming with songs recorded by pros is helpful
  • getting used to singing a constant pitch while focusing on the overtones makes them way more noticeable; if the fundamental pitch changes, the movement of the overtones will lose the focus

Now if you know how to do kargyraa, that's what I wanna know.

I think I have it partially thanks
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

I've had it up to HERE with Tuvans, with their running around with their knees bent, and mugging people to support their yurt and sheepskin jacket habits!  Last thing I need to hear is their crazy music corrupting our youth, with their parties and their raves, where innocent American kids wind up with laryngitis from overdosing!

SING LIKE REGULAR PEOPLE, YOU GODDAMN SLAVIC HOOLIGANS!   :argh!:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 27, 2008, 09:33:02 PM
I've had it up to HERE with Tuvans, with their running around with their knees bent, and mugging people to support their yurt and sheepskin jacket habits!  Last thing I need to hear is their crazy music corrupting our youth, with their parties and their raves, where innocent American kids wind up with laryngitis from overdosing!

:lulz:

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 27, 2008, 09:33:02 PM

All true, but that Tuvan Felatio is well worth the cost to our culture.

Kai

I discovered that the tighter I purse my lips, the clearer the overtones are.

Bu🤠ns