News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Things you can waffle

Started by Bruno, January 07, 2009, 10:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Episode One:

I recently invested in several cans of dehydrated vegetables and powdered eggs, so that is what I am using here.

First, combine in a bowl:

1/2 cup potato flakes
1 TBSP onion flakes
2 TBSP powdered milk
3 TBSP powdered eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shredded cheese

Then, add enough water to give it the consistency of mashed potatoes, which for me was about 5/8 cup. Mix thoroughly.

This is the really important step. GREASE THE WAFFLE IRON. If you don't, you will be scraping your waffle out of the waffle iron. Potato waffles are soft and made of mashed potatoes with a thin crust that kind of holds it together.

Dump the mixture into the waffle iron and spread it around evenly.

Cook the waffle. This part is up to you as far as time and temperature settings go. I let it cook until it had more or less stopped billowing steam.

Ta-Daaa!

To get it out of the waffle iron, I had to pick the whole thing up, and dump it into the plate.

Not a structurally sound waffle compared to your typical wheat flour based waffle.

I then topped it with some Salisbury steak and gravy.

All in all, it was pretty good. I think next time I shall cook it a little bit longer and add more onion and salt. The crispy skin is the best part of the waffle, but the gravy made it kind of soggy on top. The crust on the bottom was unaffected.

And yes, that is more or less my entire kitchen you see there, and I am cooking on top of a mini-fridge. It is the only food preparation surface I have to work with, but it works.  8)
Formerly something else...

Jenne

Ya work with what you gots, you are right.  Wow.  That's an awesome sort of deal there, and we will be trying that out!  I mean, latkes and potato cakes ABOUND in many cultures, so why not ze vaffle?

Orsome, and thanks for sharing!

Richter

Oh fuck.

I want this with chunks of mozzarella, make a poutine of the gods....

:mittens:
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If you ever feel like getting crazy, make some cornbread batter and add chopped onions, and cook it tin he waffle iron. HELL OF GOOD and tatsty served with chili and cheese on totp.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

indigoblade

Quote from: Primrose on January 08, 2009, 01:32:30 AM
If you ever feel like getting crazy, make some cornbread batter and add chopped onions, and cook it tin he waffle iron. HELL OF GOOD and tatsty served with chili and cheese on totp.

o.O  This makes me wonder why you were critisizing my spelling and grammer in another thread M'lady :?.
What?

Bruno

I always feel like getting crazy.  :)

I'm way ahead of you on the cornbread. I did regular basic cornbread batter topped with white beans a few days ago. I think I posted about it here. But chilli & cheese sounds gooder than a motherfuck.

I think my next experiment will be a salmon patty waffle, but I can't think of a good topping for salmon. Maybe cream of mushroom and green beans?

Richter: OSHI POUTINE WAFFLE!! :fap: I'll have to try that. Do you have a recipe for the gravy/sauce that goes on it?

Jenne: You're quite welcome, and thanks. Let me know how it turns out!

Indigoblade: Nigel's 't' key has tourette syndrome.
Formerly something else...

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: indigoblade on January 08, 2009, 02:56:44 AM

o.O  This makes me wonder why you were critisizing my spelling and grammer in another thread M'lady :?.

ehem. her T button is borked.

Jenne

K, when the guest leaves, we are definitely down for potato waffles followed by corn meal ones.  This shit's goin DOWN.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: indigoblade on January 08, 2009, 02:56:44 AM

Because my motherfucking T key wasn't broken then, motherfucker.

And it's "criticizing" and "grammar".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

indigoblade

That answers my question. Nigel, I think I should hire you to be my spell/grammer checker  :D. Would you happen to know a free site for writing lessons or some such. I have really gotten out of ractice with writing. And the waffles look really good by the by. I could almost smell 'em when I saw the pics. Mmmmm :D.
What?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Best way to improve your spelling and grammar is to read a lot, and to write a lot, and pay attention.

Darth Cupcake

I now officially NEED to own a waffle iron.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Raphaella

This looks awesome!!! The bf loves him some waffles too.   
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

LMNO