News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Idea: Meme Bomb Hand Mine

Started by Iron Sulfide, January 13, 2009, 08:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Sulfide

I happened upon business card sized magnets at work some time ago. this project is for someone with a little extra money to throw away, but you may think it's worth it. maybe not.

basically, if you haven't figured it yet: sticker + metal surface + Business card magnet (preferably with additional sticker or business card...)

it's pretty simple, and i think the finer points of impact would be in selection of memes to use.

I also tend to use the 2"x4" mailing labels because there's more room to incorporate visuals. those are about the largest stickers you could use with this idea, as the magnet barely covers it.

recently, i used this: "you have found clue #3" on the front of a newspaper dispenser, with a business card/magnet saying "you are the enemy, and we are you". Also, i added the "be a winner!" genii image from one of the other sticker downloads to the Clue #3 sticker.

My hope is that, as per usual, people see it, someone eventually tries to tear it off (or notices it sticks out slightly...it's just barely noticeable, though, so i'm not banking on this) and discovers the secondary incendiary device. of course, this means you're spending the cost of a business card, a magnet and a sticker each time. and you don't get the magnet back. on the other side, someone else gets to keep it, and it's very likely they will become a vector point for that meme, even if the magnet just sits on their fridge.

suggestions and comments, plz.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Cain

I have no real suggestions, barring putting the meme bombs on more metal objects (obviously), but this is a damn fine idea.  Especially for the most catchy of them, it makes it more real, in that you can take it home.  I think that sort of interactivity would make people think more about who is behind it and the message involved.

Reverend Smeg the Kilted

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2009, 08:37:25 PM
I have no real suggestions, barring putting the meme bombs on more metal objects (obviously), but this is a damn fine idea.  Especially for the most catchy of them, it makes it more real, in that you can take it home.  I think that sort of interactivity would make people think more about who is behind it and the message involved.

PLUS! Then it's there on their fridge/file cabinet/tool chest/suit of armour cause one assumes that if they take it, they will prolly stick it somewhere, and thus it may in fact stick in their head a liite more effectively than if they just see it stuck somewhere.

----------------
The noise in my head is: De Heideroosjes - Damclub hooligan

-----BEGIN DISCORDIAN CODE BLOCK-----
VERSION 1.0
DCM/DO/>DADA Te/r c--(*) s+: a- comp+ P++ E F+ R* !tv b+++ OM6 RAW DC e h+ r* ys+++ k++ WEB"http://www.flyingsquirrelsonfire.com"
------END DISCORDIAN CODE BLOCK------

Iron Sulfide

8.5 x 11 inch magnetic sheets would actually cut down the cost a lot, almost in half, by my reckoning. cut them down to size, and you can use them with whatever size stickers you want.
Ya' stupid Yank.

the last yatto

those word magnet arent that spendy
and who cares of someone runs off with a word or two

would it be cheaper to find sheets of magnets and cut em yourself?
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: YattoDobbs on January 22, 2009, 08:56:40 PM
those word magnet arent that spendy
and who cares of someone runs off with a word or two

would it be cheaper to find sheets of magnets and cut em yourself?

what i dislike about the magnetic poetry words (that's what you're refering to, isn't it?)
is that there isn't really much room for incorporating visual content without sacrificing
the convenience of application.

also, i believe i did suggest sheets, addendum. though, i may have muffed the math.

staples has, for example, a pack of four 8.5x11 inch sheets for $15.
cut to 2x4 inch rectangles, that yields 40 magnets. (or x of whatever size you want)

business card size magnets with peel-off adhesive liner comes in two flavors:
100 @ $23
50 @ $12.50

there's also an "easy to make" avery magnetic business cards printing package, for $12.
that yields 30 cards @ 2x3.5 inches.

the volume/cost winner would be the 100 business cards, considering you can print
on copy paper and cut to size for the magnet. (i've been using old business card
sheets that only print on one side...but i have some just laying around. so i don't
recommend this, unless you want to get fancy.)

The sheets, however, win for versatility. I imagine a lot more really inventive things
could be done with them.

And these are Staples' prices. I'm sure a little effort on the part of any interested party
will turn up even cheaper ways of getting these things.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Philly Fillet on January 16, 2009, 07:36:07 PM
8.5 x 11 inch magnetic sheets would actually cut down the cost a lot, almost in half, by my reckoning. cut them down to size, and you can use them with whatever size stickers you want.

erm- irgnore my maths. they aren't correct.

It occurred to me also that printing on simple bond or copy paper would suffice for the magnet portion, as they come with adhesive already.

and another Idea:

VARIANT #1:

(Also known as "Sometimes it's Neat to Work for an Office Supply Retail Store")

This is another kicker to add in for the appropriate memes (i wouldn't waste the $ on crapulent memes for this one...).

Place the magnet in a No. 1 Size Coin Envelope. These are the really small ones mentalists seal their predictions in. Something like 6 or 7 (maybe less...) dollars for 250 envelopes.

If you need the explanation, KYS, FTB- and read a little further.

The Envelope is placed, as before, over a sticker on a metal surface. Symbols/writing can be placed on the envelope if desired to help it stand out, or add an additional memebomb. you could also, if you were so inclined- put your name and address on the envelope. (LOL)

The basic idea being time delay, and adding a tone of mystery. for my first deployment (no pics - soon) i again went with the "clue #3" sticker, combined with a "true/false" Gif in invertable script (see below) on a magnet inside the envelope.

I left it for whichever schmuck has Locker #23.

Ideas and additional variants- as always- welcome. missionary gets boring after a while.

Ya' stupid Yank.

Anonymous_Fox

Quote from: Philly Fillet on January 22, 2009, 09:32:50 PM
business card size magnets with peel-off adhesive liner comes in two flavors:
100 @ $23
50 @ $12.50

Why does the first of these prices not surprise me?

Great idea, though!
Fucking up your interwebs since 2001.

HAIL DISCORDIA!

glorfon

I know I'm kind of late to the party.  But I'd suggest putting them on cars with out of state plates for maximum spread.