News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

CRAZY PREPARED

Started by Richter, January 23, 2009, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

You're assuming a rational response though.  You're assuming methods of escape are available (nothing is more dangerous than a scared, armed person with a percieved lack of options).  You're assuming other emotions, like anger, or pre-existing conditions like hunger, can't overrule that fear.  You're assuming you are dealing with a sane person.  Psychopaths, for example, don't have much in the way of emotion, and tend to disbelieve they will ever come to serious harm.

That's a lot of assumptions to rely on.

Also, yes, head wounds are bloody.  Lots of blood goes to the brain remember, since its a pretty vital organ.  If an artery or vein is busted cracking a head open, that is going to bleed, a lot. 

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 10, 2010, 08:42:49 AM
Hmm.  I have a hunch that if the scary isn't working, it's because it's not scary enough.

I used to daydream about making a combined bear spray/taser/boat horn device.  I think it's a wicked idea, and I doubt people would keep attacking after a blast of poisoned air, deafening noise and electric shocks.

as far as scary armament goes, i've always thought that being approached by someone with a boxing glove on one hand, and a pistol in the other would be the most ominous...
they have the immediate trump card to end the fight in their favor, but they are saying that they are aiming at a protracted ass kicking.

LMNO

From a practical standpoint, I have usually assumed that when swinging a club-like weapon, the ideal target range is the knee-to-mid-torso area, due to the size of the target, difficulty of the target to dodge, and greater possibility of temporary incapacitation.

If you aim for the head, chest, or arms, I'm guessing there would be a greater chance for you to miss, or for it to be deflected.

However, I get the feeling that there are people on this board who have done more actual combat than me, so I await their opinions on the matter.

Richter

I've had a fair bit of practice hitting people's heads with sticks, so my advice may not be the best here.

The head / neck make a sort of "pocket", a place where any swing from a straight horizontal or slightly downward blow will catch into SOMETHING.  Even a hit to the neck can cause decent dissorientation / trauma (guess what everythign has to go through to reach the head!)

A good crack from knees up can have disabling potential, unless your target is drugged or has insane pain tolerance (which adrenaline can provide them).  Blowing away a knee can diable.  You likely won't break a thigh bone, but again, you can make it hurt liek a bitch.

Arms and shoulder hits can cause breaks or numbness from hitting a nerve, or even rattling everything AROUND said nerve, and take one arm out of the picture for a bit.  (Even if you don't break their arm, but hit the radial nerve hard enough, they won't be able to grip for SHIT for a good 30 sec.) 
Hit their hands. Small bones, lots of nerves.  If they stick it out for you, smack it down.

Ribs can get broke, and a hit to the side / back / underarm area will rattle the kidneys.  Again, only the insanely aggor'd, tough, or drugged people are staying standing, since a solid shot here makes it very hard to breathe.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cain

Hits to the neck can even be deadly, depending on what you hit. All the nerves which control your body go through there, after all.  Catch one that controls the lungs or heart, for example...

But when it comes to blunt weapons, I only really have experience with the quarterstaff, which is not an everyday item or suitable as a concealed weapon.

LMNO

My thinking is this:  If a guy like me is in a position to be attempting major bodily harm to someone else, then I am in a seriously dangerous situation, and I will be flooded with adrenaline and either bloodthirst or panic.

In that scenario, my aiming skills will be waaaaay off, and going for small targets like hands have a good chance of not landing.  What I want is the highest probability that any given strike will land, and that it will be disabling.

I dunno if there's a swing/hit target ratio, and if it can be correlated with a hit/disable ratio, but if there is, I'd like to see it.

Richter

Quote from: Cain on February 10, 2010, 03:09:41 PM
Hits to the neck can even be deadly, depending on what you hit. All the nerves which control your body go through there, after all.  Catch one that controls the lungs or heart, for example...

But when it comes to blunt weapons, I only really have experience with the quarterstaff, which is not an everyday item or suitable as a concealed weapon.

Yeah, no good way to pass of why you're walking around with one.

A solid hardwood or rattan cane can be brutally effective though.  (A knee injury and a weekend of playing Dr. House, and you can make it look like you need it too!)  Hold it, tip to the ground, and the almost AUTOMATIC first shot you can take is right to your opponent's crotch.

Males naturally bend forward when hit to the crotch, or even hit NEAR it.  A quick moulinet, or cock back like you're going to throw a punch from the hip or shoulder, and you can hit their nicely exposed head with your second shot. (with ANY stick or sword blow too, USE YOUR HIPS TO THROW.)  
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Freeky

Question. How difficult is it for the average person to dodge and follow through with an attack at the same time?

Reginald Ret

Dodge this!

ah i remember the old fallout games, where it was possible to use a weapon like this and aim for the eyes.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

East Coast Hustle

fairly difficult, and the difficulty increases with lack of practice and/or experience in violent confrontation. If you're absolutely certain that your assailant does not have a lethal close-range weapon at his disposal and your primary concern is ending the fight as quickly as possible, it is frequently advantageous to take a blow in order to give yourself a chance to close and make a crippling counterstrike (punch to the throat is a good one, headbutt is useful if you are taller than your opponent but WILL hurt you as well). Be aware that, though a knee to the groin is a classic move, there are a fair number of people for whom that will NOT be a disabling move. I know this firsthand, as if you kick me in the nuts all its gonna do is REALLY piss me off and make me want to actually HURT someone as opposed to just kicking their ass a little bit. If you have pepper spray, taking a blow from your assailant (not in the head/neck if you can help it) will give you a chance to unload it into their face at point-blank range. Again, this is useful advice only when your opponent's weapon is their fists. If they have a club, don't attempt to take a blow from it in order to swing initiative to your favor.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

also, if you get in close, remember that you can tear someone's ear off pretty easily. That will end the fight for all but the most psychotically determined opponents. A downward strike on the collarbone can break that fairly easily and will cause them to lose use of that arm, but that's hard to do properly if you're shorter than your opponent. If you wear boots with any sort of heel (spiked or platform both work), a hard stomp to the top of their foot will probably break most of the bones in their foot which will usually take that leg out of action and in doing so end the fight.

ETA: please to note that none of the advice I have given is theoretical. Many of these moves have saved me from a severe beating or worse.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

I have a similar reaction to hitting my head. Thanks for the tips, ECH.

Holy jesus, Regret, I want one!

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Horrendous Foreign Love Stoat on February 10, 2010, 03:44:45 PM
In that scenario, my aiming skills will be waaaaay off, and going for small targets like hands have a good chance of not landing.  What I want is the highest probability that any given strike will land, and that it will be disabling

I'm a runner not a fighter, but I think in that circumstance you go for the nuts or the eye gouge.

Nuts first. Eyes are much harder to hit unless the opportunity presents itself. IMHO, Hustle is right about everything but heels, regular old boots can work just fine for that too. I would recommend against wearing heals in situations where you don't need to so that you can run. Also, the knees are pretty vulnerable as long as their leg isn't bent.

Keep in mind, however, that if you go overboard on someone you might end up in prison for aggravated assault or murder. Only do as much damage as you have to in order to protect yourself. Obviously if it's life or death do whatever you need to do to preserve your own life, but  there are always consequences for your actions (even if you get away with it).

P.S. If they get in real close, throwing elbows can be very effective, but it's going to hurt your elbow.

Jasper

On second thought, as far as scary/effective goes, it might be worth it just to go for an S&W500 with the 4" barrel. 

I've tried it with the full length barrel, and it's recoil is pretty tolerable actually.

Elder Iptuous

this is my scary gun
:D