Main Menu

CRAZY PREPARED

Started by Richter, January 23, 2009, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: Capuchin Cress on January 28, 2009, 04:03:21 AM
Quote from: YattoDobbs on January 28, 2009, 03:01:39 AM
Quote from: Richter on January 27, 2009, 02:02:15 PM
fictional manifestation of humanity's self loathing. 
:cn:

also isnt there a trick to get fresh water by using a plastic tarp/tent
(was it macguyver or mr wizard that i remember this from)

water purification tablets worth it or just collect rain in barrels?

If the cloth you're using has a fine enough weave and folded many times, you can filter out copepods (little planktonic animals) that may carry nasty things like cholera or guinea worms.

Of course, this only reduces the amount of contaminants, and thoroughly boiling water before you drink it is your safest option.

Bleach or iodine work too.  I prefer the bleach, since you can disinfect the water, and then remove some of it by airation or letting the water stand uncovered for a bit, minimizing the funny taste.  (Just don't leave it uncovered so long that it all evaporates.) 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Richter

Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Triple Zero

Quote from: Requiem on January 28, 2009, 07:58:11 AM
In the interest of one upping Iason, I found this:

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/59301233/field+manual?tab=summary

Which should have all the field manuals Cain mentioned, and then some.  It's 2.5 gigabytes, so finding a torrent client that lets you pick and choose files might be a good idea (I have no idea what this would be in the windows world).

utorrent from utorrent.com lets you pick the files and has the pleasant feature that it's a small download and doesnt use a lot of memory or processing power.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

Quote from: Requiem on January 28, 2009, 04:19:52 AM
Reading through the army survival field manual.  It has one specifically good tip I feel the need to share, on the making of survival kits.

Quote from: FM 3.05-703-6. In preparing your survival kit, select items that are
multipurpose, compact, lightweight, durable, and most
importantly, functional. An item is not good if it looks great but
doesn't do what it was designed for. Items should complement
each other from layer to layer. A signal mirror in your pocket can
be backed up by pen flares in your LBE and a signal panel in your
rucksack. A lighter in your uniform can be augmented by a
magnesium bar in your LBE and additional dry tinder in your
rucksack.

The specifics may not be the best option, but its encouraged me to compliment the lighter I carry with me with a spare bottle of lighter fluid in my car.

A flamable lubricant like WD-40 could work too.  I've lit many a campfire with that stuff.  Odd that we'd worry about this while riding in vehicles powered by flammable liquid  :wink:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Iptuous on January 24, 2009, 03:44:18 PM
There's this fellow who goes by the name of FerFAL that is a survivalist type down in Argentina.  He's been able to put his hobby to use and see what works and what doesn't in that particular economic meltdown....
here's his blag, 'Surviving Argentina':
ferfal.blogspot.com
there's a bunch of info by him scattered around the survivalist type websites, too.
interesting reading, the little bit that i've done....

thanks for that link. his blog is pretty interesting (and sobering) reading.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cainad (dec.)

I can't Torrent from my school. This means they do not want me to be CRAZY PREPARED and thus intend to use me as slave labor/food in the aftermath. :tinfoilhat:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Mask of the K on January 26, 2009, 05:57:13 PM
It's all great, but.....

For those who don't live where they can plant a garden, my first piece of advice would be to move to where you can.  A place where you can not only plant, but protect what you are growing.  Living in an apartment in the city with no visible grass, it's gonna be hard to grow enough food to survive in pots in your bathroom!

Otherwise, Nigel's list is a really good one.  Another suggestion in addition to basic medical skills, are basic butchering skills as well.  It's all well and good to catch, grow or kill your own meat, but you have to know what to do with it afterwards.  Besides cook it.

the assumption that if TSHTF everyone will run to the countryside and be OK by growing their own food is laughable.

when it's not being taken seriously by people I like.

Growing your own food is HARD PHYSICAL WORK, people. Work which you will have to do in addition to all the other tasks you will suddenly be responsible for like building and/or maintaining a shelter, maintaining physical security, procuring non-growable supplies (unless you plan on growing a new plow blade when yours breaks), etc. Unless you get it exactly right the first time and every single time thereafter (imagine how devastating even ONE crop failure would be), you're probably looking at a net energy loss in that situation. In laymen's terms, that means you starve to death.

Remember, the "zombie apocalypse" isn't going to be just that. It's going to be a slow, downward grind until everyone that's not insanely rich is going to be dirt poor. It's going to resemble neo-feudalism more than anything else. And just like they were then and are now, towns and cities are going to be important nexus points for commerce and trade. You will still have an easier time buying/bartering for food with more easily obtained commodities than you will growing enough to feed you and your dependents. And let's not forget that while cities and towns will come with a pervasive and permanent lol-level lack of physical security, in the countryside you are much more vulnerable to more sustained and more brutal encounters, less frequent though they may be. In the city, bad people will rob your house and maybe even kill you and/or your family, but they'll do it quickly. There are things worse than dying and watching your family being raped/beaten/tortured for several days before you die because none of your neighbors are close enough to hear you screaming is one of them.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Dirtytime on January 28, 2009, 07:07:42 PMa pervasive and permanent lol-level lack of security

at first I thought this was a typo, then I decided that it wasn't.

Richter

Quote from: Dirtytime on January 28, 2009, 07:07:42 PM
Quote from: Mask of the K on January 26, 2009, 05:57:13 PM
It's all great, but.....

For those who don't live where they can plant a garden, my first piece of advice would be to move to where you can.  A place where you can not only plant, but protect what you are growing.  Living in an apartment in the city with no visible grass, it's gonna be hard to grow enough food to survive in pots in your bathroom!

Otherwise, Nigel's list is a really good one.  Another suggestion in addition to basic medical skills, are basic butchering skills as well.  It's all well and good to catch, grow or kill your own meat, but you have to know what to do with it afterwards.  Besides cook it.

the assumption that if TSHTF everyone will run to the countryside and be OK by growing their own food is laughable.

when it's not being taken seriously by people I like.

Growing your own food is HARD PHYSICAL WORK, people. Work which you will have to do in addition to all the other tasks you will suddenly be responsible for like building and/or maintaining a shelter, maintaining physical security, procuring non-growable supplies (unless you plan on growing a new plow blade when yours breaks), etc. Unless you get it exactly right the first time and every single time thereafter (imagine how devastating even ONE crop failure would be), you're probably looking at a net energy loss in that situation. In laymen's terms, that means you starve to death.

Remember, the "zombie apocalypse" isn't going to be just that. It's going to be a slow, downward grind until everyone that's not insanely rich is going to be dirt poor. It's going to resemble neo-feudalism more than anything else. And just like they were then and are now, towns and cities are going to be important nexus points for commerce and trade. You will still have an easier time buying/bartering for food with more easily obtained commodities than you will growing enough to feed you and your dependents. And let's not forget that while cities and towns will come with a pervasive and permanent lol-level lack of physical security, in the countryside you are much more vulnerable to more sustained and more brutal encounters, less frequent though they may be. In the city, bad people will rob your house and maybe even kill you and/or your family, but they'll do it quickly. There are things worse than dying and watching your family being raped/beaten/tortured for several days before you die because none of your neighbors are close enough to hear you screaming is one of them.

..and THAT folks, is the stark horrible truth of it all. :mittens:

Cainad (dec.)

We used to live very close to a Mohawk Indian reservation in upstate New York, when I was very little.

My mom was working on a small garden in our yard and when a Mohawk guy she knew to be a good gardener (many of them were, iirc), she apologetically dismissed it as a hobby attempt. He laughed and said there was nothing to be ashamed of, because "the time to learn to garden is not when you're hungry."

the last yatto

If the cloth you're using has a fine enough weave and folded many times, you can filter out copepods (little planktonic animals) that may carry nasty things like cholera or guinea worms.

Of course, this only reduces the amount of contaminants, and thoroughly boiling water before you drink it is your safest option.
i was thinking methods of collecting water condensation or rain water to avoid having to stock pile it

removing salt would be a plus
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Requia ☣

Quote from: YattoDobbs on January 28, 2009, 08:50:33 PM

i was thinking methods of collecting water condensation or rain water to avoid having to stock pile it

removing salt would be a plus

I think the trick your thinking of is to lay a tarp out, then fold it up and collect condensation in the early morning.

Unfortunately, this is completely useless in the desert.*  Tabs are good for emergencies, but boiling + filtration (for chemicals) is still best.

*Incidentally, stay the fuck out of deserts.  An expert survivalist wouldn't last a week in some of them.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Quote from: Dirtytime on January 28, 2009, 06:47:10 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on January 24, 2009, 03:44:18 PM
There's this fellow who goes by the name of FerFAL that is a survivalist type down in Argentina.  He's been able to put his hobby to use and see what works and what doesn't in that particular economic meltdown....
here's his blag, 'Surviving Argentina':
ferfal.blogspot.com
there's a bunch of info by him scattered around the survivalist type websites, too.
interesting reading, the little bit that i've done....

thanks for that link. his blog is pretty interesting (and sobering) reading.

I still haven't read that, but since he's in Argentina, its probably a good read.  They got an early start on economic meltdowns.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Requiem on January 28, 2009, 10:19:20 PM
I think the trick your thinking of is to lay a tarp out, then fold it up and collect condensation in the early morning.

Unfortunately, this is completely useless in the desert.*  Tabs are good for emergencies, but boiling + filtration (for chemicals) is still best.

*Incidentally, stay the fuck out of deserts.  An expert survivalist wouldn't last a week in some of them.

Or, perhaps he was thinking about the water container with a transparent tarp sealed around the top with the middle weighted down by a stone and an empty container in the middle allowing for the evaporated water that condenses on the tarp (or saran wrap) to drip into the empty container....
this seems like a more Mr.Wizardly type thing...