News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Short rant on CLIMATE CHANGE.

Started by Kai, January 24, 2009, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 12:26:08 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on January 24, 2009, 09:57:26 PM
Alls i knows is that it was 80 degrees out yesterday in the middle of January, and that's global warming!  but today, it's only 48 degrees out, so the global warmings must be over....
I don't need no sciiiiiientist to tell me that, I'll tell you wut!!
    \
:mullet:
HURR HURR HURR
And the North Pole melting is just a seasonal thing!
HURR HURR HURR
I'm sorry....
Did you think that was directed at you?  Nono.... I was just commenting on the way a bunch of the redneck goobers i work with sound on the issue, speaking in definite terms as if they are anywhere near qualified to make proclamations about what the climatologists themselves are apparently unsure of...
Incidentally, the North Pole melting is seasonal, just with increasing duration and magnitude in correspondence with the global temperature rise (that i happen to agree with you on, based on what i know), right?

Kai

Quote from: Iptuous on January 25, 2009, 06:50:50 PM
Alls i knows is that it was 80 degrees out yesterday in the middle of January, and that's global warming!  but today, it's only 48 degrees out, so the global warmings must be over....
    \
HURR HURR HURR
HURR HURR HURR
I'm sorry....
Did you think that was directed at you?  Nono.... I was just commenting on the way a bunch of the redneck goobers i work with sound on the issue, speaking in definite terms as if they are anywhere near qualified to make proclamations about what the climatologists themselves are apparently unsure of...
Incidentally, the North Pole melting is seasonal, just with increasing duration and magnitude in correspondence with the global temperature rise (that i happen to agree with you on, based on what i know), right?

IIRC, there is usually some summer ice, but last summer there was less ice than ever recorded before. Its like melting of permafrost, same idea; theres some melt every year, but usually not the massive amount that has been occurring.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

\
HURR HURR HURR
HURR HURR HURR
I'm sorry....

I was agreeing with you.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 06:50:21 PM
Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 06:37:47 PM
Next one is going to be about how tired I'm hearing about evolution.  :lulz:

Kai,

Going insane, slowly.

There's a way to shut those assholes up.

Next time you run into a partisan of either side, you simply respond with "Either we evolved from monkeys, or we're supposed to look like this, and I'm not impressed either way."

Or you can just hit them with TGRR's "least fit monkey theory".

It was a joke. Was going to post a "rant" about how much I hate evolutionary theory, just to see if I could pull it off. Figured if I'm going to be controversial I might as well be EXTRA controversial.

Least Fit Monkey theory is where we got kicked out of the trees by the other apes, right?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 07:02:49 PM
    \
HURR HURR HURR
HURR HURR HURR
I'm sorry....

IIRC, there is usually some summer ice, but last summer there was less ice than ever recorded before. Its like melting of permafrost, same idea; theres some melt every year, but usually not the massive amount that has been occurring.

And now, apparently, the South pole, which has been GAINING ice, is starting to warm up drastically.

The best part about this is watching meteorologists flinging themselves out of windows when their computer models turn out to be garbage.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 07:07:17 PM

Kai,

Going insane, slowly.

Next time you run into a partisan of either side, you simply respond with "Either we evolved from monkeys, or we're supposed to look like this, and I'm not impressed either way."

It was a joke. Was going to post a "rant" about how much I hate evolutionary theory, just to see if I could pull it off. Figured if I'm going to be controversial I might as well be EXTRA controversial.

Least Fit Monkey theory is where we got kicked out of the trees by the other apes, right?

Troof.  The successful creatures don't NEED to evolve.

Kai

Unless the environment changes.

I don't like the word successful much in terms of evolution. Too short term. The dinosaurs were sucessful, in terms of numbers of species and how ubiquitous they were. Then you reach the K-T boundary and those old forms haven't been around since. The progeny are doing pretty well right now, Mammals and Birds, but its yet to be seen how it will turn out.

Horseshoe crabs haven't changed much for the past 300 million years but they live in a very stable environment, continental shelves and such. If that were to change quickly they wouldn't have a chance.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 07:17:55 PM

Then they are no longer successful.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 07:20:22 PM

what about genetic drift?
that's still evolution, no?

Edit: after realizing that you didn't claim that they don't change if they are currently 'successful'...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on January 25, 2009, 07:23:18 PM

Sure.  But if the drift causes a less successful trait, then the creature doesn't breed, and it's business as usual.

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 07:07:36 PM
[insert shit about the south pole warming I deleted in a moment of asstardedness]

Aw fuck, seriously?  Cause I really don't want anymore coastal flooding refugees here.  The last batch went crazy and one of em tried to burn his apartment down.  With him still inside.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 07:08:08 PM
Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 07:07:17 PM

Kai,

Going insane, slowly.

Troof.  The successful creatures don't NEED to evolve.

This is... very close, if not spot on, to the current major theory.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Vene

Quote from: Iptuous on January 25, 2009, 07:23:18 PM

Edit: after realizing that you didn't claim that they don't change if they are currently 'successful'...

Genetic trait mostly effects traits that are neutral with respect to survival and propagation (and will eventually cause speciation).  Now, when something changes, then the direction of the drift could fuck over some species.

And as far as I'm concerned the most successful organism has got to be some bacterial species.

Suu

And now, apparently, the South pole, which has been GAINING ice, is starting to warm up drastically.

This is because the Earth tilts during seasons for one, it's proximity to the sun for two, and you know, that giant ozone hole that's down there for strike three.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on January 25, 2009, 07:44:36 PM

This is because the Earth tilts during seasons for one, it's proximity to the sun for two, and you know, that giant ozone hole that's down there for strike three.

Maybe.  If that were the case, then the rate of ice loss should equal that of past years.  Whether it is or not is at present not clear.