News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Short rant on CLIMATE CHANGE.

Started by Kai, January 24, 2009, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 07:57:16 PM
Quote from: Suu on January 25, 2009, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 07:07:36 PM

And now, apparently, the South pole, which has been GAINING ice, is starting to warm up drastically.

This is because the Earth tilts during seasons for one, it's proximity to the sun for two, and you know, that giant ozone hole that's down there for strike three.

Maybe.  If that were the case, then the rate of ice loss should equal that of past years.  Whether it is or not is at present not clear.

Or the testing is inconsistent. How long have we actually had weather stations down on the actual continent of Antarctica?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Suu on January 25, 2009, 08:06:52 PM

And now, apparently, the South pole, which has been GAINING ice, is starting to warm up drastically.

This is because the Earth tilts during seasons for one, it's proximity to the sun for two, and you know, that giant ozone hole that's down there for strike three.

Maybe.  If that were the case, then the rate of ice loss should equal that of past years.  Whether it is or not is at present not clear.

Or the testing is inconsistent. How long have we actually had weather stations down on the actual continent of Antarctica?
http://uwamrc.ssec.wisc.edu/images/awsmap.jpg

EDIT:
srry i meant to post this:
http://uwamrc.ssec.wisc.edu/

EDIT 2:
sorry again, the answer is 1957

The Good Reverend Roger

Who needs that?  That's what core samples of ice are for.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Now, being that I'm an environmental studies major and all, I probably ought to have an opinion on this.

I got nothing. There's so many howling monkeys on both sides that I'm starting to think that global climate trends are not all that different from economic climate (take a shot!) trends: nobody actually knows wtf is going on in its entirety, but a whole lot of people sure get off on making sweeping generalizations.

Which, really, is understandable behavior for monkeys. In general, there's three possible outcomes:
1) The doomsayers were right, and we're totally fucked.
2) Change is happening, but we can take steps to mitigate its impact. Shit will still happen, but it won't ruin civilization.
3) All of this was a big fat load of bullshit and nothing significant is really going to happen, at least not in our lifetimes.

Regardless of what specific arguments the talking heads and self-appointed experts make, they still have odds of one in three of being able to claim they were "right." Not bad, really.

If there's money and notoriety to be gained in the meantime by hyping the shit out of your position on the issue, why not? Fame, money, and one in three chance of being in the category of "People Who Were Right All Along" in the history books sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 08:17:41 PM

Who needs that?  That's what core samples of ice are for.

I never got into how accurate the dating of ice is with my education, so I don't really have much of an opinion on that. Got any links?

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

Quote from: Cainad on January 25, 2009, 08:28:01 PM
Now, being that I'm an environmental studies major and all, I probably ought to have an opinion on this.

I got nothing. There's so many howling monkeys on both sides that I'm starting to think that global climate trends are not all that different from economic climate (take a shot!) trends: nobody actually knows wtf is going on in its entirety, but a whole lot of people sure get off on making sweeping generalizations.

Which, really, is understandable behavior for monkeys. In general, there's three possible outcomes:
2) Change is happening, but we can take steps to mitigate its impact. Shit will still happen, but it won't ruin civilization.
3) All of this was a big fat load of bullshit and nothing significant is really going to happen, at least not in our lifetimes.

Regardless of what specific arguments the talking heads and self-appointed experts make, they still have odds of one in three of being able to claim they were "right." Not bad, really.

If there's money and notoriety to be gained in the meantime by hyping the shit out of your position on the issue, why not? Fame, money, and one in three chance of being in the category of "People Who Were Right All Along" in the history books sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

You know who pissed me off the most out of all these people who thought they were scientists?

Crichton. The Fucker.

A fiction author briefing the president on Climatology. Goddamn. And State of Fear was horrid, by far the worst book he ever wrote.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Requia ☣

Holes.  The big hole started closing up, leaving two smaller ones behind.  There's probably been more progress.  Which may be the problem.  It was theorized that the hole in the ozone was causing the screwy air currents that protect(ed) the antartic interior from the warming trend the rest of the world is going through.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cainad (dec.)

Cain

Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 07:17:55 PM
Unless the environment changes.

I don't like the word successful much in terms of evolution. Too short term. The dinosaurs were sucessful, in terms of numbers of species and how ubiquitous they were. Then you reach the K-T boundary and those old forms haven't been around since. The progeny are doing pretty well right now, Mammals and Birds, but its yet to be seen how it will turn out.

Horseshoe crabs haven't changed much for the past 300 million years but they live in a very stable environment, continental shelves and such. If that were to change quickly they wouldn't have a chance.

If dinosaurs were so successful, they would have evolved into the Tarraesque and survived being hit by a meteor (or anything else for that matter).

I actually planned on being a paleontologist once upon a time, even before the Jurassic Park films came out.  However, I still stand by my words: if dinosaurs had evolved to withstand interplanetary impact, I would have respected them much more.  Evolutionary n00bs.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2009, 09:26:29 PM
Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 07:17:55 PM
Unless the environment changes.

I don't like the word successful much in terms of evolution. Too short term. The dinosaurs were sucessful, in terms of numbers of species and how ubiquitous they were. Then you reach the K-T boundary and those old forms haven't been around since. The progeny are doing pretty well right now, Mammals and Birds, but its yet to be seen how it will turn out.

Horseshoe crabs haven't changed much for the past 300 million years but they live in a very stable environment, continental shelves and such. If that were to change quickly they wouldn't have a chance.

If dinosaurs were so successful, they would have evolved into the Tarraesque and survived being hit by a meteor (or anything else for that matter).

I actually planned on being a paleontologist once upon a time, even before the Jurassic Park films came out.  However, I still stand by my words: if dinosaurs had evolved to withstand interplanetary impact, I would have respected them much more.  Evolutionary n00bs.

That's okay.  It is my firm belief that intelligence is a fatal mutation.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Reginald Ret

Earth does not tilt, it is tilted but it's tiltedness does not change.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on January 25, 2009, 11:08:50 PM

But the base of the tilt will be closer to - or farther away from - the sun, depending on what time of year it is.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 11:12:08 PM

But the base of the tilt will be closer to - or farther away from - the sun, depending on what time of year it is.

What is it, 23.5 axial tilt? Not only that, but theres an appogee and paragee, a time when earth is closest to and furthest from the sun, AND, this varies even somewhat.

Did I get that right? Or did I fuck up the terms?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on January 25, 2009, 08:28:01 PM

I was going to post something like this, but you beat me to the punch.

Guys have right; change are coming.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 11:53:16 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 11:12:08 PM

What is it, 23.5 axial tilt? Not only that, but theres an appogee and paragee, a time when earth is closest to and furthest from the sun, AND, this varies even somewhat.

Did I get that right? Or did I fuck up the terms?

Nope you got it!

The Apogee and the Perigee do not coincide with the seasons either like the tilt does.

For example, we take a warm winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Even though the Earth is tilted away from the Sun, it's at perigee, which means closer to the sun in orbit since it's elliptical and we're more or less hula-hooped. Same thing with a cool summer, tilted toward the Sun, but at apogee and farther away so the temperature isn't as hot.

2004 is a great example for this. July and August in RI were averaging 60s-70s with frequent rain, when it's "normally" 80s-90s.