News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Short rant on CLIMATE CHANGE.

Started by Kai, January 24, 2009, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

You probably wouldn't expect this from me. No, usually I'm the calm centered one about scientific inquiry (provided creationists aren't involved).

But I've had it up to here with going to the earth science news on CNN.com, and EVERY LAST FUCKING ARTICLE is on climate change.

FUCK, people. Isn't there something in biology or geology or any of the other so called "earth sciences" that you could draw on and make an interesting article out of besides this continuous log of fearmongering BULLSHIT?!?

I don't see anything useful in any of this. Sure, I believe the climatologists with their current observations of the planet, and there is change and variation in the climate. I think they are smart people doing good science. I think they are probably right about global warming and cooling events, and I think they are probably right that human population has had some effect upon these events.

I am just so FUCKING TIRED of hearing everyone and their DOG'S opinions on this. Everyone is suddenly a scientist with a degree in toxicology, sociology, anthropology, paleogeography, geology, biology, ecology and climatology when it comes to CLIMATE CHANGE. I've only got a degree in one of those things and I STILL don't consider myself qualified to draft an opinion for or against it. I've studied hydrology and limnology and geology and I still don't have a clue how the climatologist's model's work, and these JOURNALISTS with degrees in COMMUNICATION, think they have a fucking clue?

This isn't a game of "whoever talks about it the most makes it the case". Climatology isn't politics, it isn't morality, it certainly isn't based upon some opinions of some NUMBNUTS reporter from hugatreefucktheman.org. This is real science, with real observations and real models, not some pony ride you can drive so you feel good about yourself and so you can say over and over and over "NOT IN MY FUCKING BACKYARD". This isn't a game of WHO CAN WE BLAME NEXT? This isn't a game at all.

And whats worse than people turning opinions into "science", is people spamming news articles about "science" into more fearmongering bullshit. I won't have it, not anymore. Next dipshit that walks up to me and starts talking about the melting of the polar icecaps and the rising of the oceans and the increase in storms and ALL KINDS OF THIS FEARFUL SHIT I am going to punch them in the face, folks. I'll stick with scientists for science.

Or fucking bump me off.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

All I know is that summer in Chicago was warm in 1980, and absolutely PUNISHING in 2003.

I also remember when we had, you know, ICE at the NORTH POLE.

Are my observations scientific?  No.  Do I give a fuck?  No. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 24, 2009, 08:45:48 PM
All I know is that summer in Chicago was warm in 1980, and absolutely PUNISHING in 2003.

Was a rant against journalists, mostly.

I knew this was going to be unpopular, but I wrote it anyway.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on January 24, 2009, 08:49:10 PM

Look, all I know is what I have observed.  As far as getting mad at talking heads for parroting a hot button issue, well, get mad at the sun for rising.

What bothers me is how many "scientists" oppose what's smacking us right in the face, either because they whored themselves out to Exxon, or because it's "fashionable" now to ignore what's blatantly happening, much as it's "fashionable" now for potheads and Wiccans to be extreme right neocons.

For whatever reason, the world IS, in fact, warming up.  I do not need a geologist or meteorologist to tell me this.  And if I can see it, so can the producers of whatever talk program is pissing you off.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Suu

Quote from: Kai on January 24, 2009, 08:43:07 PM
You probably wouldn't expect this from me. No, usually I'm the calm centered one about scientific inquiry (provided creationists aren't involved).

But I've had it up to here with going to the earth science news on CNN.com, and EVERY LAST FUCKING ARTICLE is on climate change.

FUCK, people. Isn't there something in biology or geology or any of the other so called "earth sciences" that you could draw on and make an interesting article out of besides this continuous log of fearmongering BULLSHIT?!?

I don't see anything useful in any of this. Sure, I believe the climatologists with their current observations of the planet, and there is change and variation in the climate. I think they are smart people doing good science. I think they are probably right about global warming and cooling events, and I think they are probably right that human population has had some effect upon these events.

I am just so FUCKING TIRED of hearing everyone and their DOG'S opinions on this. Everyone is suddenly a scientist with a degree in toxicology, sociology, anthropology, paleogeography, geology, biology, ecology and climatology when it comes to CLIMATE CHANGE. I've only got a degree in one of those things and I STILL don't consider myself qualified to draft an opinion for or against it. I've studied hydrology and limnology and geology and I still don't have a clue how the climatologist's model's work, and these JOURNALISTS with degrees in COMMUNICATION, think they have a fucking clue?

This isn't a game of "whoever talks about it the most makes it the case". Climatology isn't politics, it isn't morality, it certainly isn't based upon some opinions of some NUMBNUTS reporter from hugatreefucktheman.org. This is real science, with real observations and real models, not some pony ride you can drive so you feel good about yourself and so you can say over and over and over "NOT IN MY FUCKING BACKYARD". This isn't a game of WHO CAN WE BLAME NEXT? This isn't a game at all.

And whats worse than people turning opinions into "science", is people spamming news articles about "science" into more fearmongering bullshit. I won't have it, not anymore. Next dipshit that walks up to me and starts talking about the melting of the polar icecaps and the rising of the oceans and the increase in storms and ALL KINDS OF THIS FEARFUL SHIT I am going to punch them in the face, folks. I'll stick with scientists for science.

Or fucking bump me off.

THANK YOU.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Elder Iptuous

Alls i knows is that it was 80 degrees out yesterday in the middle of January, and that's global warming!  but today, it's only 48 degrees out, so the global warmings must be over....
I don't need no sciiiiiientist to tell me that, I'll tell you wut!!
    \
:mullet:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on January 24, 2009, 09:57:26 PM
Alls i knows is that it was 80 degrees out yesterday in the middle of January, and that's global warming!  but today, it's only 48 degrees out, so the global warmings must be over....
I don't need no sciiiiiientist to tell me that, I'll tell you wut!!
    \
:mullet:

HURR HURR HURR

And the North Pole melting is just a seasonal thing!

HURR HURR HURR

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 24, 2009, 08:56:10 PM

Look, all I know is what I have observed.  As far as getting mad at talking heads for parroting a hot button issue, well, get mad at the sun for rising.

What bothers me is how many "scientists" oppose what's smacking us right in the face, either because they whored themselves out to Exxon, or because it's "fashionable" now to ignore what's blatantly happening, much as it's "fashionable" now for potheads and Wiccans to be extreme right neocons.

For whatever reason, the world IS, in fact, warming up.  I do not need a geologist or meteorologist to tell me this.  And if I can see it, so can the producers of whatever talk program is pissing you off.

This was a rant. Thats all.

Vene

I approve of ranting about journalists.  Leave them to make scientific methodology into a political process.

Quercus

Fun fact: CNN axed their entire science news division and consider their "planet earth" folk to be all the science they need.
PLEASE PRINT ALIGNMENT PAGE

Vene

I'm actually a bit conflicted about that.  My first reaction was 'fuck you CNN, science is newsworthy and interesting' but then I realized that I don't even trust CNN to get it right in the first place.  I guess the question is; do I prefer poor science coverage over no mainstream science coverage?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Vene on January 25, 2009, 03:29:24 AM
I'm actually a bit conflicted about that.  My first reaction was 'fuck you CNN, science is newsworthy and interesting' but then I realized that I don't even trust CNN to get it right in the first place.  I guess the question is; do I prefer poor science coverage over no mainstream science coverage?

None.

We must protect America from dangerous thoughts and ideas.

Vene

Blindfolds and earplugs must be worn at all times.

Cainad (dec.)

ATTN: CARL SAGAN AND DR. BRONOWSKI

Get the fuck outta those graves and get back to work, damn you!