Main Menu

Short rant on CLIMATE CHANGE.

Started by Kai, January 24, 2009, 08:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Kai on January 28, 2009, 08:06:42 PM
Quote from: Vene on January 28, 2009, 06:15:44 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 28, 2009, 04:41:55 PM
Evolution takes eight billion years (approx) to fix a minor design flaw, that's how useless it is.
:lulz: I'm just going to pretend you got the number wrong on purpose.  And we still have plenty of design flaws.

They're ALL flaws.

Life is rogue nucleic acids that gained metabolism.

that's the point. modern day information design works better.

or at least, the composing elements are capable of processing way more information, very fast, in a meaningful way. what emerges out of that is of course another question.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Suu on January 26, 2009, 12:49:19 AM
Quote from: Kai on January 25, 2009, 11:53:16 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 11:12:08 PM
Quote from: Regret on January 25, 2009, 11:08:50 PM
Quote from: Suu on January 25, 2009, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 07:07:36 PM

And now, apparently, the South pole, which has been GAINING ice, is starting to warm up drastically.

This is because the Earth tilts during seasons for one, it's proximity to the sun for two, and you know, that giant ozone hole that's down there for strike three.

Earth does not tilt, it is tilted but it's tiltedness does not change.

But the base of the tilt will be closer to - or farther away from - the sun, depending on what time of year it is.

What is it, 23.5 axial tilt? Not only that, but theres an appogee and paragee, a time when earth is closest to and furthest from the sun, AND, this varies even somewhat.

Did I get that right? Or did I fuck up the terms?

Nope you got it!

The Apogee and the Perigee do not coincide with the seasons either like the tilt does.

For example, we take a warm winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Even though the Earth is tilted away from the Sun, it's at perigee, which means closer to the sun in orbit since it's elliptical and we're more or less hula-hooped. Same thing with a cool summer, tilted toward the Sun, but at apogee and farther away so the temperature isn't as hot.

2004 is a great example for this. July and August in RI were averaging 60s-70s with frequent rain, when it's "normally" 80s-90s.

Actually no.

The seasons have to do with the angle of the Sun's rays, relative to the tilt of the earth.

The distance from the Sun has nothing to do with it.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I believe she's talking about the effect of the elliptical orbit on the seasons, not saying that it causes them. It does impact the severity of the seasons; they're less drastic in the northern hemisphere than in the southern, because southern hemisphere summers coincide with perihelion and winters with aphelion, and the opposite (obviously) is true of the northern hemisphere.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: The Mormons Will Begin Arriving By Bus on February 02, 2009, 06:19:43 PM
I believe she's talking about the effect of the elliptical orbit on the seasons, not saying that it causes them. It does impact the severity of the seasons; they're less drastic in the northern hemisphere than in the southern, because southern hemisphere summers coincide with perihelion and winters with aphelion, and the opposite (obviously) is true of the northern hemisphere.

yeah, the perihelion and aphelion are not what cause the seasons majorly, but they do have an effect on the closeness of the earth to a big hot ball of flaming plasma. The tendency when you get closer to such a thing, more of the radiation, including heat, hits the surface of the earth.

Read: exactly what nigel said above and I wasn't paying attention.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Fuquad

Quote from: RWHN-on hiatus on January 25, 2009, 05:59:19 PMOf course, the whole discussion has become politicized beyond recognition and Al Gore certainly didn't help that.  I know he has good intentions, of wanting to bring the information to the masses. 
When a politician tells you the truth about something. You can bet it's because it will increase their bottom line.

though to be fair I must ask if you are a Positive Objectionist.

Are you a Positive Objectionist?
THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Kai

Quote from: A Gatecrashers Five Goons on February 02, 2009, 09:10:35 PM
Quote from: RWHN-on hiatus on January 25, 2009, 05:59:19 PMOf course, the whole discussion has become politicized beyond recognition and Al Gore certainly didn't help that.  I know he has good intentions, of wanting to bring the information to the masses. 
When a politician tells you the truth about something. You can bet it's because it will increase their bottom line.

though to be fair I must ask if you are a Positive Objectionist.

Are you a Positive Objectionist?

You know, humans don't ALWAYS follow the lowest common denominator.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

bones

AAAHH!

2/3 of Queensland, Australia is flooded! (That state is fucking huge, too!)
Victoria is on fire! Whole Towns have burnt to the ground, and yesterday was Melbourne's hottest day in recorded history! 47 c (about 117 f)
South-east England has the worst snow it has seen for 18 years!

We're all going to die. Soon. Very soon.

And I dont think it's from carbon emissions, neither. It's just because we love to overbreed, overrun the world, and snoop around, lookin' at everything.
Always with the lookin' at stuff. Stupid monkeys. Heisenberg warned you not to go lookin' at stuff willy-nilly, but you just couldn't resist, could you? Lookin' and watchin' and writing down data.
"Oops, starting to think you're seeing PATTERNS??" Says Eris. "We'll soon see about THAT!"

In short, I blame documentary film-makers. Damn you Attenborough!
filmmusic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

bones

filmmusic

Doktor Howl

Update:  In 2013, Canadian Prime Minister Harper destroyed the fisheries libraries containing meteorological data going back to 1850 (including, I might add, my father's work from the 1970s).

Because if you have no historical data, you cannot observe rate of change.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2018, 02:07:31 AM
Update:  In 2013, Canadian Prime Minister Harper destroyed the fisheries libraries containing meteorological data going back to 1850 (including, I might add, my father's work from the 1970s).

FUCK

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on February 26, 2018, 06:21:32 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2018, 02:07:31 AM

FUCK

:owned:
Molon Lube

WidgetOtaku

Yeah, Harper was a true dork towards the scientific community...

My only worry related to this is when there's going to be a reboot of Widget The World Watcher. For the fact that Widget's HQ is inside a sea cave, I feel there might be some shoreline erosion if they're keeping the same setting as the original. Just saying.
"You've scoffed at my creations... Now look upon my work and despair!"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: WidgetOtaku on March 18, 2018, 05:58:09 PM

I'd use somewhat stronger language.
Molon Lube

WidgetOtaku

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 20, 2018, 05:18:12 AM
Quote from: WidgetOtaku on March 18, 2018, 05:58:09 PM

I'd use somewhat stronger language.

Do you know that the biological term of "dork" means?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whale%20Cock%20%28Dork%29
"You've scoffed at my creations... Now look upon my work and despair!"