News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

I Thought It Was Fucking

Started by Eve, February 28, 2009, 08:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torodung

Eve, this isn't a "bring and brag," but it was inspired by this poem:

High Bright White and Clear
Indefatigable
Refuge to polar bears
sinker of the Boastful
The tip of The iceberg
(ignore this sixth line please)
and beneath the Water
sleeps the Devil dreaming
The only choice you're given is how best to burn
BURN BRIGHTLY

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Torodung on March 02, 2009, 08:39:30 AM
I disagree, however, that metrical considerations only matter in longer poems. All it takes is a single foot, or whatever you happen to be doing. IMO, all that foot and stanza stuff is for folks who want to pigeon-hole poems, rather than enjoy them. IMO, rhythm is always a consideration in poetry.

This is what I said:
Quote from: Nigel on March 01, 2009, 03:28:13 AM
I think that with a piece this short, you can be pretty freeform without sacrificing impact when it's read aloud, because it doesn't continue long enough to fall into a defined rhythm. That said, if I was writing it, I would probably refine it so that the syllables in each line were a little more regular.

I'm not sure if that's what you're disagreeing with though, because whatever you're responding to doesn't seem to bear a lot of relationship to what I said.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That said, I have a strong personal dislike for when people use someone's else's Bring & Brag thread as a hijack opportunity to display their capacity for lit-wankery, so I'd suggest starting your own thread for that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Torodung

Quote from: Nigel on March 02, 2009, 08:19:27 PM
Quote from: Torodung on March 02, 2009, 08:39:30 AM
I disagree, however, that metrical considerations only matter in longer poems. All it takes is a single foot, or whatever you happen to be doing. IMO, all that foot and stanza stuff is for folks who want to pigeon-hole poems, rather than enjoy them. IMO, rhythm is always a consideration in poetry.

This is what I said:
Quote from: Nigel on March 01, 2009, 03:28:13 AM
I think that with a piece this short, you can be pretty freeform without sacrificing impact when it's read aloud, because it doesn't continue long enough to fall into a defined rhythm. That said, if I was writing it, I would probably refine it so that the syllables in each line were a little more regular.

I'm not sure if that's what you're disagreeing with though, because whatever you're responding to doesn't seem to bear a lot of relationship to what I said.

I disagree with everyone else then. If I'm responding directly to you, I'll quote you. Promise. ;)
BURN BRIGHTLY

Torodung

Quote from: Nigel on March 02, 2009, 08:25:56 PM
That said, I have a strong personal dislike for when people use someone's else's Bring & Brag thread as a hijack opportunity to display their capacity for lit-wankery, so I'd suggest starting your own thread for that.

That was not my intent. I answered as best I could with the poem. It was not a 'bring and brag,' it was a reply in poetry.

I have little need to show off, but sometimes that's the only way I can speak.
BURN BRIGHTLY

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Not talking about the poem. Talking about the lit-wankery.

Torodung

Quote from: Nigel on March 06, 2009, 07:31:26 PM
Not talking about the poem. Talking about the lit-wankery.

Quote from: TorodungIMO, all that foot and stanza stuff is for folks who want to pigeon-hole poems, rather than enjoy them.

I used the word foot twice, and stanza once, and I'm engaging in lit-wankery? What? Do I have to speak Greek to please you? Don't answer that. I don't care. I'm not here to please you.

Explanation: I don't use that vocabulary to show off. I use it to show respect. If it offends you, then it's your problem.

If Eve wants to complain about it, I'll listen to her. It's her brag thread and poem, after all.
BURN BRIGHTLY

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

YOU'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT IT

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

HINT: I AM A TOTAL DICK SHUT UP NOW.

Torodung

BURN BRIGHTLY