News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Curry of the SINUS CLEAR ( ANUS HARM status pending)

Started by Richter, February 04, 2009, 01:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

No pics because I'm lazy.

- Chicken breast, cut thin / small
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- Auntie Arwen's Sun hot curry powder  (over meat and set for 1/2 hour to marinade)
- Auntie Arwen's "Mild" vindaloo powder (just 1/2 teaspoon, to amp up the flavor in w/ oil and other spices to caramelize onion 1st)
- Schiracha  (2 quick skeets)
- Adobo (1 hearty pour)
- Chopped garlic  (1 forkload)
- Olive oil (as needed)

This is a rarity in my cooking, in that I'm happy with the flavor and the spicyness.  It's hot, providing a good consistent burn, but still edible.

I can feel it moving...
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jenne

"I can feel it moving..."?  :lol:

Also, that vindaloo powder sounds num.  Gonna have to look for some of that.

Richter

http://www.auntiearwenspices.com/

I bought both spice blends from her at Arisia.  She sells them for around $5 for a roughly 1/2 cup jar.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

LMNO

Basically, the chicken serves as a vehicle for the heat, yeah?

To be honest, it sounds like the vegetables are there for texture rather than flavor.

Richter

Heat vehicle and protein source, yeah.  The onions and pepper do add some flavor, but not much.  Aside from texture, I like having them for the nutrition factor, and to bulk out the meal since meat is getting expensive.
I've wanted to try similar with marinaded firm tofu, but I'm still checking local prices to see if this is economical.

Also: workplace bathroom destroyed.  Leftovers for lunch.  :evil:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Auntie Arwen is the Bomb. We go visit her every year at Pennsic and stock up on the best herbs and spices in the Knowne Worlde.

PROTIP: Auntie Arwen's "Omar's Turkish Coffee Blend" can be added to pancake batter for major WIN.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Hell, get a 25-lb bag of rice, a few pounds of fresh spinach.  Throw the spinach in the freezer.

Make the rice (if you use brown long-grain, there's even some nutrition there), break off a handful or two of frozen fresh spinach and stir it in with the spices.  Freezing the spinach breaks down the cell structure, so it wilts into the rice that much easier.

Cheap (h)eats that won't give you scurvy!

Richter

Quote from: Ratatosk on February 04, 2009, 02:13:58 PM
Auntie Arwen is the Bomb. We go visit her every year at Pennsic and stock up on the best herbs and spices in the Knowne Worlde.

PROTIP: Auntie Arwen's "Omar's Turkish Coffee Blend" can be added to pancake batter for major WIN.

Yeah.  She's the kind of merchant who will go over exactly what they have, how it's made, how to use, etc. with you and love discussing it.  I'd much rather support folks who are into it over the usual sterile storefronts.

Quote from: LMNO on February 04, 2009, 02:15:53 PM
Hell, get a 25-lb bag of rice, a few pounds of fresh spinach.  Throw the spinach in the freezer.

Make the rice (if you use brown long-grain, there's even some nutrition there), break off a handful or two of frozen fresh spinach and stir it in with the spices.  Freezing the spinach breaks down the cell structure, so it wilts into the rice that much easier.

Cheap (h)eats that won't give you scurvy!

Thanks!  I'll try this later this week when the curry / rice runs out. 

Suu

THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE TURKISH COFFEE AT BIRKA AND I WAS MAD.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Richter

Leln and I were down about this too 
NEEDED MOAR CAFFINEATED INSANITY!
:argh!:

LMNO:  For your rice / spinach recipe, are you advising steaming the rice with the spices, cooking the spinach and putting it over rice, or combining the rice and spinache friend rice style?

LMNO

Cook rice, throw in everything else while rice is hot, combine.

The residual heat from the rice will take care of the spinach.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Richter on February 04, 2009, 02:40:42 PM

Yeah.  She's the kind of merchant who will go over exactly what they have, how it's made, how to use, etc. with you and love discussing it.  I'd much rather support folks who are into it over the usual sterile storefronts.

Also, the dear old lady looks exactly like one would expect a Pagan Herbwoman to look like.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Richter

Incidently, leftovers of my curry, seasoned by our good Pagan Herbwoman's products, have been asked to leave the premises.

Apparently folks are sickened by the smell.  :lulz: :lulz:  :argh!:

Quote from: LMNO on February 04, 2009, 04:07:34 PM
Cook rice, throw in everything else while rice is hot, combine.

The residual heat from the rice will take care of the spinach.

Cool.
I've done this with veggies before, and usually add the stuff when there's just the tiniest bit of visible water left. 

Could you recomend a  (ballpark) ratio spice (in tsp.) to cups rice (Dry)?  No worries if not, to quote Badger,  I can just fucking wing it.

LMNO

Considering you prefer your food to double as a colon cleasner, I'd go with volume ratio.

I consider 1/2 a cup of UNCOOKED rice "one serving".  Add whatever amount spices you usually make a solo dish.  Adjust according to amount of rice cooked.

Richter

An update: 
Complaints about my food are countered.  The lack of acceptance for the traditional recipes of my Spanish / Portuguese ancestors in a progressive multi-cultural workplace does not tickle me. 

Oh yes, if any of the offended folks will be in the 3 hour meeting this afternoon, they may want to re - schedule.  Just a heads up, I did eat A LOT of the stuff and all.

My supervisor can't stop laughing.   :lulz: