News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Your body

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 07, 2009, 08:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messier Undertree

Your mom is mired in dicks.

Messier Undertree

critique this motherfucker

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Copper Carbonate on February 12, 2009, 12:30:32 AM
Quote from: Dead Kennedy on February 11, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
The OP is mired in Cartesian duality and ego-identification.

Did you really just say that?

And he's really intent on believing it, too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pariah

Quote from: Dead Kennedy on February 11, 2009, 11:39:13 PM

Your essay did nothing to convince me that you aren't a psuedointellectual wank

Look who's talking.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Cainad (dec.)

My hang-ups are entirely irrelevant to the criticism I offered.  I'll let it slide this time, but just so you know, I generally consider rebuttals such as the tripe you've offered here as an invitation to mock and belittle the intelligence of the person offering them.   

Well, you'll fit right in! Unlike many other forums, many of us here rather enjoy sinking our teeth into those we perceive to be idiots.

For example: you claimed you were going to "let it slide this time," and then went on to mock and belittle her intelligence anyway. In fact, you did so in that very same post! It's as if you had forgotten what you had written only moments before.

Pariah

Quote from: Cainad on February 12, 2009, 12:39:29 AM
My hang-ups are entirely irrelevant to the criticism I offered.  I'll let it slide this time, but just so you know, I generally consider rebuttals such as the tripe you've offered here as an invitation to mock and belittle the intelligence of the person offering them.   

Well, you'll fit right in! Unlike many other forums, many of us here rather enjoy sinking our teeth into those we perceive to be idiots.

For example: you claimed you were going to "let it slide this time," and then went on to mock and belittle her intelligence anyway. In fact, you did so in that very same post! It's as if you had forgotten what you had written only moments before.

Damn you just set him  up for an  "I HAVE SOME SORT OF MENTAL DEFICICENCY WHEN IT COMES TO MEMORY STOP MAKING FUN OF ME" excuse

Messier Undertree

Dead Kennedy sounds like one of those annoying "deep" high school kids who just discovered Nietzsche, I have to say.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Obecalp on February 12, 2009, 12:41:18 AM
Quote from: Cainad on February 12, 2009, 12:39:29 AM

Damn you just set him  up for an  "I HAVE SOME SORT OF MENTAL DEFICICENCY WHEN IT COMES TO MEMORY STOP MAKING FUN OF ME" excuse

Oops! :oops:

Pariah

Quote from: Copper Carbonate on February 12, 2009, 12:42:12 AM
Dead Kennedy sounds like one of those annoying "deep" high school kids who just discovered Nietzsche, I have to say.

My guess is that his post didn't sound smart enough so he copy pasted some words from wikipedia's philosiphy page and called it good.

Pariah

or should I say "My ego existentialist guess is that his subsituationislit anarchomaterialistic post was full of neo-ergoestitism copy pasta"

Cainad (dec.)

Oh, I'm sure this fellow is well-read and understands what he's saying, even if he doesn't much care about what other people are trying to say.

However, when you're the self-declared smartest person on the forum, there can be an awful lot of pressure to maintain that. Poor bloke set the bar awfully high for himself.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Dead Kennedy on February 12, 2009, 12:07:40 AMI most certainly have critiqued your essay.  My critique can be summed up in single sentence:  Your essay is mired in Cartesian duality and ego-identification.
No, it isn't.  The essay merely uses it as a metaphor to contrast personality with physical attributes, and the point of it was not to let what you look like define who you are. 

You read the first sentence and hit pressed a few of your buttons, so you went on to "critique" what you imagined the essay to be about.

LLOF had it exactly right when she said
QuoteLooks like you have some pretty major religious hang-ups, and you're VERY busy projecting them.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Dead Kennedy

So LLOF is a chick.  How much of this sudden onslaught of "defenders" is a case of Virgin Knights In Shining Armor rallying out from their basements to the defense of A Real Live Girl?  

Copper Carbonate and Obecalp in particular are laughable. Really guys, how dumb are you?  You're acting like a pair of gumbies.  'He sounds like he's in high school!' and 'He just discovered Nietzsche!'  Like either of you idiots knows a thing about Nietzsche.   If you nimrods knew jack shit about philosophy you'd recognize that Nietzsche's psychological critique of Descartes fails to even address Cartesian duality, and that my comments clearly presume not a Nietzschean worldview but rather the logical positivism of Wittgenstein.  But you fuckwits probably don't know who the fuck Wittgenstein is.

We could rub the two of you together and get fire faster than either of you could figure out to make it on your own.  And I'm assuming you both have lighters cause clearly you are smoking something -- my first guess is weed out of a PVC bong.

No, seriously, you idiots sound like you failed high school.  Quit while your ahead.  How about you two leave the "philosiphy" to people with IQs in the triple digit range, okay?  Okay.

That was so much fun.

Cainad gets a point for catching that I said I'd let it slide and then proceeded to not let it slide.  I almost called myself out on that.  Not that anyone has reason to believe me now that I've been called out on it.  So Cainad, you caught me: I was pretending to be fair.

Since LLOF said that Felix spoke for her, I'll respond to his comment first:

QuoteDude, you're totally missing it.  She never mentions dualism at all.

No, you're totally missing it.  She doesn't mention dualism specifically, but her entire essay is full of assumptions of Cartesian duality.   As I illustrated earlier,it shows up in the premise of the entire essay.  She claims that "it begins" when "you" are "dumped into" the "meatbag.'

The term meat-bag clearly refers to the body.  The way she uses "you" only makes sense if one assumes Cartesian duality.  "You" cannot be "dumped into" the body unless "you" is separate from the body.  Thus "you" must refer either to the Cartesian Mind, or to some EVEN LAMER concept of the soul.

She doesn't have to MENTION dualism, her entire essay is rife with the idea.  And it's a fucking STUPID idea.

And as proof of it's stupidity, her embrace of Cartesian dualism leads her right into the waiting arms of ego-identification, which is just so wonderfully endarkening an idea to run into on a Discordian forum.

No fucking wonder nobody listens to us.  We don't even listen to ourselves.

---

Pastor-Mullah Zappathruster added:

QuoteNo, it isn't.  The essay merely uses it as a metaphor to contrast personality with physical attributes, and the point of it was not to let what you look like define who you are.

Ptthppt. You're trying to have it both ways.  You're right, the essay uses Cartesian dualism as a metaphor to contrast personality with physical attributes, but what you failto recognize is that the use of that metaphor leads LLOF straight into the blunder of confusing ego and self, and ends up endorsing the entirely retarded idea of defining oneself entirely by one's egoic self-image.

It's GARBAGE.
To steal a person's voice is to censor them.  Change this sig and you are the censor. HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Did anyone BESIDES the PSU gay & lesbian support center get that the point of the rant was that gender is a social construct? That biologically, you are a pretty awesome piece of work, and the rest is a story we learn to tell ourselves?

I am interested in the very different ways in which people are reading it. Kai, RA, and this DK spag all seem to have gotten extremely different things from it.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Precious Moments Zalgo

I can see how you got to be the self-proclaimed smartest person on the board.  I can't wait to read your essay.  I'm sure others here can't either.

QuoteThe term meat-bag clearly refers to the body.
You had to read that far?  I got it from the thread title.

QuoteYou're right, the essay uses Cartesian dualism as a metaphor to contrast personality with physical attributes, but what you failto recognize is that the use of that metaphor leads LLOF straight into the blunder of confusing ego and self, and ends up endorsing the entirely retarded idea of defining oneself entirely by one's egoic self-image
So when a person uses a metaphor, that person is necessarily endorsing the idea that the metaphor is literally true  :?

You must be WAY smarter than me because I am completely unable to follow your logic.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.