News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Your body

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 07, 2009, 08:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

personally Im in Cains boat now
not worth my time
srsly I got a ton of better things to do
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Kai

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on February 13, 2009, 03:08:37 AM
personally Im in Cains boat now
not worth my time
srsly I got a ton of better things to do

True true.

I like having a punching bag though.  :D
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Adios

I knew a professional writer once. Probably one of the most read authors of our day.

Just open any box of stuff........
Insert tab A into slot B..........

Adios

And just for fun...

Quote from: Nigel on February 07, 2009, 08:07:35 PM
Hey, how do you like that thing? Pretty neat, isn't it? I mean, if you think about it.

So the deal is, the first thing that happens when you arrive is you get dumped into a yellowish or brownish meat-bag filled with red and white. It grows, and if you're lucky it all works like it's supposed to; totally sweet functional legs for perambulation, arms with dexterous graspers on the end, built-in audio and video perception devices, a noisemaker. Pretty fucking awesome! If you're lucky, you get to keep this thing for upward of 90 years, which is a pretty sweet deal even though it starts to break down a bit before the end. These things come in roughly three varieties; male, female, and both. The male ones have primarily external sexual reproductive organs at the lower limb Y-junction, and the female ones have primarily internal sexual reproductive organs for incubating more meat-bags, with the entrance at the same Y-junction. The both ones have some combination of the two and are somewhat of an anomaly.

For some reason a lot of the people inhabiting the meat-bags have decided to define themselves based on what sort of meat-bag they happen to have gotten dumped into. They've made up all kinds of fairly arbitrary assignations like "pretty" and "ugly", which are subject to change at any time for no reason whatsoever, then they identify their self-ness based on these assignations. They've also created categories for different colors of meat-bag, and for different forms of sexual behavior. They have created behavioral categories for the male and the female, which they call "gender". People are expected to pick one to identify with, and this identity dictates their behavior.

Yes, they actually do this! I'm not even making it up.

The hard thing to keep in mind, once you're here, is that your meat-bag is actually just a really cool biological machine. It gets hard to remember, because almost all of the people in their meat-bags all around you are totally buying into the idea that their bags define their personhood, but it's all bullshit. I mean, of course the thing influences your behavior; odds are high that you'll have the desire to mate with other meat-bags, mostly other-sex ones, and all of the machinations of your meat-bag, the chemicals it releases to control various functions, will affect your thoughts and feelings. But still, those aspects are fairly incidental; your vehicle will need a certain amount of care while you're in it, and it may be kind of eccentric and require special care, but that's only to be expected. The main thing to never forget is that the color of it, the sex of it, whether it is at any given moment in time "pretty" or "ugly"... these are all incidental. You would still be you in a void with a thought-operated keyboard for communication. You would still be you if all of these incidentals were excised from you and you were just a featureless blob in a jar. As long as your meat-bag continues to function, you continue to exist, and you are you.

So take care of the damn thing, appreciate it, and don't place too much value on identifying your person-hood based on what kind you got. It's all a crapshoot; you could have ended up in this bag, and I could have ended up in that one.

Also, fuck you Kai.

Precious Moments Zalgo

I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Pariah

Quote from: The Reverend Asshat on February 13, 2009, 03:11:17 AM

And just for fun...

Quote from: Nigel on February 07, 2009, 08:07:35 PM
Hey, how do you like that thing? Pretty neat, isn't it? I mean, if you think about it.

So the deal is, the first thing that happens when you arrive is you get dumped into a yellowish or brownish meat-bag filled with red and white. It grows, and if you're lucky it all works like it's supposed to; totally sweet functional legs for perambulation, arms with dexterous graspers on the end, built-in audio and video perception devices, a noisemaker. Pretty fucking awesome! If you're lucky, you get to keep this thing for upward of 90 years, which is a pretty sweet deal even though it starts to break down a bit before the end. These things come in roughly three varieties; male, female, and both. The male ones have primarily external sexual reproductive organs at the lower limb Y-junction, and the female ones have primarily internal sexual reproductive organs for incubating more meat-bags, with the entrance at the same Y-junction. The both ones have some combination of the two and are somewhat of an anomaly.

For some reason a lot of the people inhabiting the meat-bags have decided to define themselves based on what sort of meat-bag they happen to have gotten dumped into. They've made up all kinds of fairly arbitrary assignations like "pretty" and "ugly", which are subject to change at any time for no reason whatsoever, then they identify their self-ness based on these assignations. They've also created categories for different colors of meat-bag, and for different forms of sexual behavior. They have created behavioral categories for the male and the female, which they call "gender". People are expected to pick one to identify with, and this identity dictates their behavior.

Yes, they actually do this! I'm not even making it up.

The hard thing to keep in mind, once you're here, is that your meat-bag is actually just a really cool biological machine. It gets hard to remember, because almost all of the people in their meat-bags all around you are totally buying into the idea that their bags define their personhood, but it's all bullshit. I mean, of course the thing influences your behavior; odds are high that you'll have the desire to mate with other meat-bags, mostly other-sex ones, and all of the machinations of your meat-bag, the chemicals it releases to control various functions, will affect your thoughts and feelings. But still, those aspects are fairly incidental; your vehicle will need a certain amount of care while you're in it, and it may be kind of eccentric and require special care, but that's only to be expected. The main thing to never forget is that the color of it, the sex of it, whether it is at any given moment in time "pretty" or "ugly"... these are all incidental. You would still be you in a void with a thought-operated keyboard for communication. You would still be you if all of these incidentals were excised from you and you were just a featureless blob in a jar. As long as your meat-bag continues to function, you continue to exist, and you are you.

So take care of the damn thing, appreciate it, and don't place too much value on identifying your person-hood based on what kind you got. It's all a crapshoot; you could have ended up in this bag, and I could have ended up in that one.

Also, fuck you Kai.

I just sent that entire post to DK
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Kai

Don't they teach things like metaphor, simile, oxymorons and all that in grade school?

DK missed that class I guess.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Adios

Quote from: Kai on February 13, 2009, 03:28:00 AM
Don't they teach things like metaphor, simile, oxymorons and all that in grade school?

DK missed that class I guess.

My guess is that's not all he missed.

Kai

He comes barging in here, like every other self proclaimed know-it-all, acting as if we will see his glory and bow down before him and his arguments. Then it backfires on him and he gets defensive.

Pretty soon hes gonna be saying "I was just trolling you, this is all a social experiment!"

And so it goes, over and over, a boring cycle of boring n00btrolls.

I mean, what does he expect?

Pariah

Quote from: Kai on February 13, 2009, 03:35:40 AM
He comes barging in here, like every other self proclaimed know-it-all, acting as if we will see his glory and bow down before him and his arguments. Then it backfires on him and he gets defensive.

Pretty soon hes gonna be saying "I was just trolling you, this is all a social experiment!"

Worship
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Adios

Quote from: Kai on February 13, 2009, 03:35:40 AM

What set me off was his abrasive heavy handed 'criticism' and belittlement of the OP. The piece was well thought out and well written and thought inducing.

Kai

It was a good rant, it was persuasive to the audience it was intended for.

That audience didn't include pompous windbags in their ivory towers, so I don't think it failed in the least.

Telarus

The only contribution to this thread that I want to make so far:

"There is no US and THEM.... but THEY.... THEY do not think the same."
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Dead Kennedy

Quote from: Kai on February 13, 2009, 03:03:48 AMI love it how you start off with one argument aka the OP doesn't know the premise of their own essay, supporting that with your personal education level, and then turn that around by saying the last statement in the post above.

Hello Straw Man!  The bolded part of your quote is false.  A true premise (my argument is that the OP doesn't know the premise of their own essay) and a false premise (I supported this argument by referencing my personal education level) equals what?   The false conclusion you don't actually state.  Armchair psychology says: you can't bring yourself to actually state your false conclusion, because you know you're a disingenuous shitweasel.

So what is it Kai? Are you retarded, or a fuckwit?  I'm leaning towards retarded fuckwit.

QuoteSo, lets get back to slinging stupid insults over stupid arguments, for example, the way you completely conflated this thread with your retarded post and missing completely the point of the OP's rant. Hint hint: it had nothing to do with dualism, cause if it did I wouldn't have liked it. I am strongly non dualist, because I know the mind is simply an emergent property of neural function. I also, unlike you, know the context that the rant was written in, and therefore have better insight into the language and dare I say it(?) the premise.

You're wrong.  Your insight has failed you.  I will demonstrate why in my next post.

QuoteWhat I find truly hilarious is that you continue to stand on your own on this forum insulting quite a few people with your drivel, and that you expect, at some point, for someone to actually come round to what you are saying. Or maybe you're just another dumb troll running yet another dumb social experiment on these forums. Its so BORING, and so done to death.

I'm not trolling. I had no idea this was going to go off the rails like this.  I thought my original post would be more or less ignored.  Copper Carbonate and Obelcald turned it into the barbecue it is now.  I'm just tossing logs on the fire.  I don't really see how anyone participating so far can fault me for that, since inevitably that's all you're doing yourself.

Anyways, I'm not bored.  I love this shit.  I'm also not running any experiment. I also don't expect anyone to come around to my position.  I just enjoy being right.  I like arguing like some people like Soduku and crosswords.  I enjoy dismantling arguments and taking them apart, breaking them.  Sometimes I get frustrated with people like you, who present horribly stupid and inane arguments and are incapable of recognizing good arguments, fuckwits who don't know when they're outsmarted.  But mostly I just love the thrill of the chase, teasing and tearing people's arguments -- and people themselves, when they make it personal -- apart.

There's no agenda.  There's no plan.  I'm just an argumentative asshole opportunist.

But if you are bored, if you aren't having fun still, you can just stop responding.

:lulz:
To steal a person's voice is to censor them.  Change this sig and you are the censor. HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS