News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Point of views on the new president of the United States.

Started by Seth_The_Fallen, February 15, 2009, 02:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth_The_Fallen

I didn't vote for him, I don't like him very much. He didn't even go into any detail and is still not going into detail on his plans for the future of the US. I don't care for him at all. I just have to salute him now. I am in the Navy and I am going to try to get posted near Japan.

Cainad (dec.)

Since when has ANY president gone into detail about what they're doing?

Sir Squid Diddimus

A) the guy's been a little busy with this bailout/handout/stimulus shit that he inherited so it's gonna take a little time for him to get around to other things.

B) i don't think it would be wise for any president to publicly point out exactly what the plans are for anything until those plans are in motion. press goes further than just our country and if the wrong people get their hands on any kind of plan before it's put into place it could complicate things quite a bit don't you think.

give the guy a break, it hasn't even been a complete month yet since his inauguration and there's so much work to be done. so much fucking work. i personally would NOT want to be in that guy's shoes right now with everything that's on his plate, but i would like to do whatever i can as a normal civilian to help him out should the occasion arise.

that's all i really have to say about it.

Jasper

I'd like to hear why OP thinks this is not an improvement on the situation.

I can't say whether the new guy will do a good job, but he has at least restored the dignity of the office by not being a pod people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Seth_The_Fallen on February 15, 2009, 02:28:54 AM
I didn't vote for him, I don't like him very much. He didn't even go into any detail and is still not going into detail on his plans for the future of the US. I don't care for him at all. I just have to salute him now. I am in the Navy and I am going to try to get posted near Japan.

I voted for him because if we elected Palin, we'd never be able to look Europe in the eye again.  However, I trust him as far as I could throw Dennis Hastert, and I eagerly look forward to watching him apply surprise buttsecks to America, because I hate this country and want it to fail.  I have felt this way since I woke up one morning and realized that my entire time in the military was based on a lie, and that Desert Storm and Panama (not to mention Grenada, Vietnam, etc) were nothing more than trade shows...And that I had never been defending America or mom or apple pie or the constitution or any of that bullshit, I was basically an enforcer for various corporations.  Much like Teddy Roosevelt charged San Juan Hill for the glory of the United Fruit Corporation.

So fuck the future of the United States.  Burn the fucking thing down, it's nothing but a horrible lie, and has been since the Adams administration.

Go Obama.  Fuck these bastards in the ass.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2009, 04:44:51 AM
Quote from: Felix on February 15, 2009, 04:44:11 AM
*Pokes roger, tastes finger*

Bitter.

Go to bed angry, wake up angrier, that's what I say.

Fun.  But back to the topic, I'm cynical about presidents-but too young to be quite as cynical as you seem to be.  I can't help but get the impression that the future will bring better days.

fomenter

terminally cynical,
if the future ends up being brighter it wont be because of anything any one politician or any government did..
and if humans are involved in making this a better world i give good odds it happens because they fell ass backwards into it...
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Jasper

Quote from: Fomenter on February 15, 2009, 04:57:15 AM
terminally cynical,
if the future ends up being brighter it wont be because of anything any one politician or any government did..
and if humans are involved in making this a better world i give good odds it happens because they fell ass backwards into it...

On the whole, I can't dispute.  But the important parts aren't the whole, in this case.  People overall are murderous idiotic baboons, but on a one-to-one basis I can find common ground and get a sense of better things.  I say that on the contrary, if the world is made any better it is by individuals and individuals alone.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on February 15, 2009, 04:49:56 AM

Bitter.

Fun.  But back to the topic, I'm cynical about presidents-but too young to be quite as cynical as you seem to be.  I can't help but get the impression that the future will bring better days.

That was the case until about 2000 or so.

Everything trended uphill.  Even the depression was a blip.  World fascism?  Hah!  Communism?  Not worried.

But there's something different, now.  Can you guess what it is?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on February 15, 2009, 05:02:51 AM
terminally cynical,

On the whole, I can't dispute.  But the important parts aren't the whole, in this case.  People overall are murderous idiotic baboons, but on a one-to-one basis I can find common ground and get a sense of better things.  I say that on the contrary, if the world is made any better it is by individuals and individuals alone.

Balls.  Martin Luther King would not have succeeded if it weren't for mass communication, and the vast collective disgust engendered by it against the policies of Jim Crow.

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2009, 05:05:03 AM
Quote from: Felix on February 15, 2009, 05:02:51 AM
terminally cynical,

Balls.  Martin Luther King would not have succeeded if it weren't for mass communication, and the vast collective disgust engendered by it against the policies of Jim Crow.

People like MLK are the exception to the rule.  It could be said with some certainty that he is part of a larger trend of stronger human rights thanks to globalization. 

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 15, 2009, 05:03:55 AM
Quote from: Felix on February 15, 2009, 04:49:56 AM

Bitter.

That was the case until about 2000 or so.

Everything trended uphill.  Even the depression was a blip.  World fascism?  Hah!  Communism?  Not worried.

But there's something different, now.  Can you guess what it is?

I'm getting tired of the word apocalypse.  If it's going to happen, could it please get on with it?

Ok, I'll bite.  What's different?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on February 15, 2009, 05:09:06 AM

People like MLK are the exception to the rule.  It could be said with some certainty that he is part of a larger trend of stronger human rights thanks to globalization. 

Tell it to sweatshop workers in Bangladesh.