News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Football college town.

Started by Kai, September 05, 2010, 03:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Today was the first game day of the football season for this college town. Normally I wouldn't leave the house on such an auspicious occasion. The population swells by over 100 thousand on game days. Consider, a little southern university town with roads, byways and parking set up for a population of 25 thousand, gaining an order of magnitude in the space of a day.

The traffic is HORRIBLE.

However, I had to visit the office to grade some lab reports, so I thought I would catalog the sites as I walked.

As I exited my apartment a large crowd of students were cheering in a circle around a nearby house, playing beer pong, drinking heavily. This was a mile from campus, an outside party of frat boys and other alcoholics engaging in pre game screaming. As I closed the distance to campus, I noticed more and more people walking my direction in colorful t shirts with sports logos. The traffic was backed up at the major intersections. Everywhere there were sharkers, people selling parking for 15-20 dollars a space, t shirt vendors, drink vendors...the town had exploded into this city fair microcosm. Tailgaters setting up their little tents with all their dishes and chairs and silverware in matching team colors, up on the lawns and in the roads and....well, everywhere. The four lane highway that runs straight through the heart of the town is turned into a one way street for the occasion.

The breeze today was something else. It was the first day I can remember in months where the shade was so comfortable. When entering the shade and feeling that breeze, the cool comfort was close to orgasmic, no, it was orgasmic. I definitely felt deep shivers.

As I sat and worked on grading with the windows open, I could hear people shouting, vuvuzelas, the band and stadium in the distance. You can hear the stadium all the way from my apartment, when they are cheering for a touchdown. It was quieter when I left, most people were at the stadium. I could still hear them.

The full experience required some food and alcohol, so I stopped in to the local beer pub to watch a bit of the game. I regret I can't remember much, as I consumed three drinks with way too high of ABV, and am now feeling the after affects. However, I do recall that there was some sort of joy in cheering. It's the whole us versus them mentality, the being a part of something mentality. The nation rots, but at least we have FOOTBALL, we have our HOME TEAM. Root, root root for them, cause that's all we've got. And if they don't win it's a shame.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Phox

*shudder* I feel you. Thursday was my college's first game. In their new $86 million stadium (gratuitous waste of money: check). They even closed off half the parking in the only lot I'm allowed to park in, and made me move my car at 2:30, so they could allow people with "Priority Sports Parking" to park in that lot. Even if that meant inconveniencing me, as a student. Fortunately, I left at 2. I thought about seeing what they would do if I didn't move my car, but since I had other things going on, I didn't push it.

Adios

Yesterday was the game at Kansas State. I don't know for sure, but I think they played UCLA. I don't know who won.

Cops were busy writing income vouchers (tickets), the roads were clogged. I am also sure Aggieville was jumping last night.

People are willing to spend a lot of money for their diversions.

Kai

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 05, 2010, 02:07:12 PM
Yesterday was the game at Kansas State. I don't know for sure, but I think they played UCLA. I don't know who won.

Cops were busy writing income vouchers (tickets), the roads were clogged. I am also sure Aggieville was jumping last night.

People are willing to spend a lot of money for their diversions.

Yeah, lots and lots of money. Which is why football keeps coming back every year. University is a business.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

East Coast Hustle

Everything is a business. At least this business gives us football!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Adios

Suu

College football isn't that big up here in the Northeast. All of our teams suck...so I don't care.

Now BASKETBALL on the other hand...

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Princess on September 07, 2010, 01:30:20 AM
College football isn't that big up here in the Northeast. All of our teams suck...so I don't care.

College football is a religion down here.

Suu

Quote from: Kai on September 07, 2010, 01:42:15 AM
Quote from: Doktor Princess on September 07, 2010, 01:30:20 AM

College football is a religion down here.

Oh I know, and it's something they will NEVER understand up here. It's all petty Ivy rivalries up here, which are boring. For me, it's just not Thanksgiving unless my brother and I are beating the living shit out of each other during the the Florida State/Florida game while my sister is in the other room screaming at the Alabama/Auburn game. I mean...it's, I dunno, it's life!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."