News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

"If it's not KopyLeft, it's not Discordian"

Started by Cramulus, February 16, 2009, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I just shot scalding coffee through my fucking nose.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Yes, sadly.

I'll put the full list up in Literate Chaotic.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 23, 2009, 02:43:54 PM
Interestingly, the BBC produced its list of the 100 greatest pieces of literature last week.  The average person has read 6 from the list.

The only list I could find was from 2003: http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100.shtml. Honestly, I wouldn't feel ashamed about only having read a few from that list. I've read about a quarter of them and don't feel like I would have missed any crucial intellectual development by skipping them.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

It appears the new list is an internet meme/forgery.  I should have researched, but foolishly I thought no-one would claim the BBC had done such a thing unless it had actually happened (fool me once...)

On the new one, I've read 25, but I've had a lot of spare time.  My sister is a literature student anyway, so I would agree that some of them are only worth reading so you can say you have read them, and not on their own merit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Betcha "Jude The Obscure" is on that list.

Thomas Hardy should be dug up and sodomized by diseased apes, for writing the most boring shit ever to waste paper.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Thomas Hardy is like a hero around here.  Without him, we'd have no tourists at all.

That said, I wouldn't bother with his books either.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Broken AI on February 28, 2009, 10:12:43 PM

So basicaly, I love the idea of free forming, floating idea clusters, that meld through each other and converge different outcomes, from the overall datasphere of public domain / kopyleft workings, however, I'd be fucking pissed if anyone jacked any of my works and made more dollerpounds than I have from them.

:mrgreen:

I've been locked out of my adsense account for years, but if they send me a check, you're getting half of the two dollars.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

The stuff my bot spits out tends to be far more coherent. This was actually the response generated by a first-order markov chain. My bot is third order, which (in theory) means that it should be three times as coherent. In reality, it generally means that it talks only a third of the time and is of approximately the same level of incoherence.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Torodung

I skimmed the thread, so this may be redundant.

The god Torodung, whom I serve, commands: "If you can make people pay you for shit, take the money and run."

Torodung speaks of a world where those with no "initiative," no will to impose upon others, are consoled by the fact that they will receive the "Magic Bag." The "Magic Bag" is full of shit.

I don't want to get caught "holding the bag." You may. (K)opyleft stuff if it suits your purpose (it is superior for wide dissemination, e.g.: The Brother's Grimm).

I would advise against opening the "Magic Bag" without noseplugs, however.  :fap:
The only choice you're given is how best to burn
BURN BRIGHTLY

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Broken AI on March 06, 2009, 11:05:19 AM
third order markov chain merged with random pd.com posts and mandelbrot music, some snagged st. syn images and some other stuff  awaaaaaaaaaaay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNuq4ShM6xM

go kopyleft go!

:D:D

Idiot

Please note that Discordianism has embraced Capitalism these days.  Copyright is integral to our faith - deny it and you will be smote by whatever.

the last yatto

Quote from: smokngoat on March 14, 2009, 11:54:02 AM
Please note that Discordianism has embraced Capitalism these days.  Copyright is integral to our faith - deny it and you will be smote by whatever.

:taco:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: smokngoat on March 14, 2009, 11:54:02 AM

What the fuck?   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Cramulus on October 13, 2009, 08:28:52 PM
Against Copyleftism (and Cory Doctorow)

http://secondthoughts.typepad.com/second_thoughts/my-war-on-cory-doctorow-short-course.html

Reading through, it seems more like a personal rant against Cory Doctorow. There are a number of problems with the posting. Some might be more obvious than others.

1) Doctorow's first books and short story collections were cc-licensed. I doubt that the boingboing blog has a 1:1 correspondence with his sci-fi audience -- I didn't know of the blog until after I read several of his books.
2) This is the internet. People don't have to travel across the world to spam. A lot of things that are worth buying will be reproduced and travel by themselves, particularly if reproduction is encouraged, and plenty of people spend enough of their free time on the net to spam their works without extra effort. The 'traveling salesman' bit therefore seems like an obvious strawman, or at best the retort of someone who doesn't use computers often.
3) "Remove DRM" isn't the same thing as "give away free". This kind of mental equivalence is particularly amusing since DRM is generally cracked quite quickly -- DRM-enabled stuff is pirated just as much as non-DRM-enabled stuff. Copyleft just tacitly supports the practice, rather than demonizing it.

I figure that the author would have more luck convincing people if he didn't rely upon hotbutton terms like "cult" and terms that used to be hotbutton a half-century ago like "communist" in order to pursuade people. It seems like a bit of a crutch.