News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Ocean sat nav fail

Started by Aufenthatt, February 16, 2009, 11:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aufenthatt

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-documentid=14232481

Two nuclear submarines which crashed in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean were likely to have had their sonar systems switched off to prevent detection, instead relying on sensitive microphones to hear threats, experts have said.

Britain's HMS Vanguard and French sub Le Triomphant - both believed to have been carrying nuclear warheads - were damaged in the crash earlier this month.

Nuclear consultant John Large told Channel 4 News: "You've got these submarines lying around on the sea bed, virtually, with all their active sonar systems turned off so they don't detect each other."

Requia ☣

Submarines don't have sat nav, that doesn't fucking work underwater.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: KC on February 18, 2009, 03:00:12 AM
Submarines don't have sat nav, that doesn't fucking work underwater.

They have really fucking big antennas.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

True, but they don't use those in stealth mode.  And well, they'd have seen each other on the fucking radar if they hadn't been hiding from terrorists or whatever the hell they were doing.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Chairman Risus

Aufenthatt

Quote from: KC on February 18, 2009, 05:11:55 AM
True, but they don't use those in stealth mode.  And well, they'd have seen each other on the fucking radar if they hadn't been hiding from terrorists or whatever the hell they were doing.

I don't know about the French but British subs are down there so we can create nuclear winter at a moments notice.

I know they don't use sat nav, it just struck me as a funny image, considering the amount it screws up.

the last yatto

probally why joint military drills are a good thing
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cain

Actually, this was probably caused by the joint military doctrine of the British and French nuclear navy.  Both took exactly the same route to try and stay stealthy, which suggests the Brits and French have done at least some cooperative training on this and have similar protocols for establishing which routes to take to stay hidden. 

Aufenthatt

Quote from: Cain on February 23, 2009, 08:40:22 AM
Actually, this was probably caused by the joint military doctrine of the British and French nuclear navy.  Both took exactly the same route to try and stay stealthy, which suggests the Brits and French have done at least some cooperative training on this and have similar protocols for establishing which routes to take to stay hidden. 

Nah, we just share a common training ground.
Its happened before.

Idiot