News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Tiring of your shit.

Started by Aufenthatt, February 20, 2009, 08:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aufenthatt

Have you ever noticed that an intelligent observation repeated enough becomes nothing more than stupid dogma?

"Football is just some guys and a ball on a field, you shouldn't get so worked up about it"

Fair point.
However, some time between the above comment of an enlightened soul and now, the point of the message has been lost.

"Football is stupid, its just some guys running round a field with pointless goals"

Hmm, sounds a lot like life.

"Football is stupid" How can it be, its something you do,
Is opening the window witty?
Is walking funny?
Well I guess that depends on who you are. Really its the people that make something what it is.
Are the people that play sports dumb? Well, mostly yes, that's because people are mostly dumb, but not everyone.

Football isn't any more stupid than whistling or smiling.

"pointless goals"
Pointless is a matter of perspective. You teach your kid to ride a bike, you learn to make pottery. It would be far easier to get someone else to do it, but you do it, for the satisfaction.
Yeah, kicking the ball about doesn't solve world hunger, or cure Cancer but neither does art.

Art is like sport, its just a medium. You can use it to make money, make people think, raise awareness, whatever. Art, like sport, just is.
You play football, you get fitter, you have less stress, but sometimes you get injured.
I'd rather sprain my ankle from time to time than live in a hole hiding from the big bad world.

But people say sport is dumb, because they think that's what clever people say. They are buying into some huge intelligent sub culture, where they know what is and isn't right.
Its the same sort of people that think our system is as good as it gets, because they read the alternative in Orwell.

You have two options
You either shut up about how idiotic it all is, accept that we will do it anyway, and go do your own thing.

Or kill me

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Aufenthatt on February 20, 2009, 08:51:13 PM
Have you ever noticed that an intelligent observation repeated enough becomes nothing more than stupid dogma?

"Football is just some guys and a ball on a field, you shouldn't get so worked up about it"

Fair point.
However, some time between the above comment of an enlightened soul and now, the point of the message has been lost.

"Football is stupid, its just some guys running round a field with pointless goals"

Hmm, sounds a lot like life.

"Football is stupid" How can it be, its something you do,
Is opening the window witty?
Is walking funny?
Well I guess that depends on who you are. Really its the people that make something what it is.
Are the people that play sports dumb? Well, mostly yes, that's because people are mostly dumb, but not everyone.

Football isn't any more stupid than whistling or smiling.

"pointless goals"
Pointless is a matter of perspective. You teach your kid to ride a bike, you learn to make pottery. It would be far easier to get someone else to do it, but you do it, for the satisfaction.
Yeah, kicking the ball about doesn't solve world hunger, or cure Cancer but neither does art.

Art is like sport, its just a medium. You can use it to make money, make people think, raise awareness, whatever. Art, like sport, just is.
You play football, you get fitter, you have less stress, but sometimes you get injured.
I'd rather sprain my ankle from time to time than live in a hole hiding from the big bad world.

But people say sport is dumb, because they think that's what clever people say. They are buying into some huge intelligent sub culture, where they know what is and isn't right.
Its the same sort of people that think our system is as good as it gets, because they read the alternative in Orwell.

You have two options
You either shut up about how idiotic it all is, accept that we will do it anyway, and go do your own thing.

Or kill me

Candidate for ePriming someone's ass.... ITT  :p
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

East Coast Hustle

I liked this rant, and not just because I love football.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Chairman Risus

Reginald Ret

yep, pretty good.
i dont know anybody who says that but this would've been my reaction if i did.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

I give this a pair of mittens and I'm not even a huge fan of football, except international games.  Its curious the standard such people apply to your interests, and not their own.  Its also often quite fun pointing that out to them.

:mittens:

Payne

:mittens:

Earlier today I said something like "I don't understand other peoples obsession with football. It makes no sense to me. Then again, I don't understand my own obsession with Formula One..."

I don't actually have a problem with people playing football, or even being fans of it. Football, here, however has a load of extra garbage thrown over the top of it (fightin', drinkin' and... er.... MORE fightin' and drinkin'!). I guess some of these other aspects are what people are really meaning when they say football is stupid. I think what they mean is 'Many football fans are stupid' which even then is a very fail way to try and make an intelligent observation.

The last few years have given me a little more perspective on football obsession though. I never miss a competitive lap in F1, and catch as much as I can of practice and testing sessions. I know the sport in depth and to a ridiculous level, because of my deep and unreasonable obsession with it. And while Drinkin' and Fightin' aren't such a major problem with it, there are any number of other issues and problems associated with it that I can draw certain parallels to.

Again, F1 is criticised in a lazy and uninformed manner, taking what could be an intelligent observation and reducing it down to mindless parroting of no real value what so ever.

So while I agree with and like the body of your point, I'm going to say that it would work better without starting it off with "Have you ever noticed that an intelligent observation repeated enough becomes nothing more than stupid dogma?"

Maybe "Have you ever noticed that lazy and uninformed idiots will take pot shots at anything that's an easy target by repeating simple throwaway statements that have no substance?" would do it for me.

Aufenthatt

Quote from: Payne on February 21, 2009, 03:02:35 PM

So while I agree with and like the body of your point, I'm going to say that it would work better without starting it off with "Have you ever noticed that an intelligent observation repeated enough becomes nothing more than stupid dogma?"

Maybe "Have you ever noticed that lazy and uninformed idiots will take pot shots at anything that's an easy target by repeating simple throwaway statements that have no substance?" would do it for me.

I wanted to put across that I felt when that attitude really became popular in England in the mid 70s it was relevant and correct, the hooliganism was ridicules.

I could have used the Che shirts or feminism.

Payne

Or any other thing that COULD be intelligent, but isn't because of the same process of dumbing down.

I got that.

Aufenthatt

I also think that some of them aren't that uninformed. They just choose to say these things to fit in with their crowd.

Payne

If you are repeating lines to fit in, then you aren't thinking. If you aren't thinking, then you are uninformed.

Aufenthatt

fomenter

Quote from: Payne on February 21, 2009, 08:54:46 PM
If you are repeating lines to fit in, then you aren't thinking. If you aren't thinking, then you are uninformed.

or you are thinking, in strategic terms and see some bigger picture purpose to letting little shit slide...
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Aufenthatt

Quote from: fomenter on February 21, 2009, 09:02:07 PM

or you are thinking, in strategic terms and see some bigger picture purpose to letting little shit slide...

Better point

Cain

Quote from: fomenter on February 21, 2009, 09:02:07 PM

Or you are a reptilian shapeshifter from the 4th dimension, whose thinking patterns cannot be understood by reference to human models.