News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Yet another metaphor

Started by Requia ☣, February 20, 2009, 09:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

I'm throwing my hat in to the new metaphor ring.

The Kudzu jungle.

The jungle grows constantly and without ever stopping, and is near impossible to kill.  The paths you take on a daily basis are safe from it, but everything else is blocked from you.  As it grows these paths reinforce, every time you choose not to follow the fork in the road the kudzu covers it more and more, until only the path you take every day is an option for you.  But while you cannot get rid of the jungle, you can get rid of pieces of it, forge new paths, kill off a few of the plants.  And in doing so, you become free, if only for a moment.  When you stop cutting, it will grow again, covering over your old paths, and leaving you with your new ones.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: KC on February 20, 2009, 09:56:10 PM

The Kudzu jungle.

The jungle grows constantly and without ever stopping, and is near impossible to kill.  The paths you take on a daily basis are safe from it, but everything else is blocked from you.  As it grows these paths reinforce, every time you choose not to follow the fork in the road the kudzu covers it more and more, until only the path you take every day is an option for you.  But while you cannot get rid of the jungle, you can get rid of pieces of it, forge new paths, kill off a few of the plants.  And in doing so, you become free, if only for a moment.  When you stop cutting, it will grow again, covering over your old paths, and leaving you with your new ones.

Fucking :mittens: !
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

fomenter

:mittens: love it the more we have the better
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Requia ☣

Expansions:

Paths traveled by your community will always be the easiest to follow.  Big main roads instead of little hiking trails you have to forge yourself, and you don't have to cut a path over to the roads some other group is using.

It's easier to uncover an old path, or expand a current path to fit you, than to create a whole new path.

New paths are made fastest and easiest when multiple people help with creating it, but they may not end up going where you want.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Xooxe

I can't remember where, but I've read of architects leaving their buildings without a path. Later, they lay one over the worn grass where most people have chosen their own.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Xooxe on February 21, 2009, 12:24:25 AM
I can't remember where, but I've read of architects leaving their buildings without a path. Later, they lay one over the worn grass where most people have chosen their own.

That's a very common landscaping/gardening technique.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Xooxe

Damn. I live in a city where most of our gardens are square concrete slabs.  :cry:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Xooxe on February 21, 2009, 03:53:18 AM
Damn. I live in a city where most of our gardens are square concrete slabs.  :cry:

Daly City?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Little boxes made of ticky-tacky, all in a row?

Mu

Quote from: KC on February 20, 2009, 09:56:10 PM

The Kudzu jungle.

Fucking, epic. That is an awesome one, among all the new metaphors that are springing up I think i like this one the most.

1. Its simple, easy to understand and although it leaves the option to elaborate there is not really any need to.

2. Its fresh, most of the new metaphors have been variations of BIP, not that that's a bad thing but its nice to have a totally new one.

3. I love the idea of having to constantly work at cutting the jungle back or you will be overwhelmed by it.

:D
"If the truth can be told, so as to be understood, it will be believed." - The Shamen, Re Evolution, 1992