News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

Priestcraft

Started by Template, February 27, 2009, 06:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Template

I'm in a mood about organized religion and orthodoxy right now, thought I'd share the following excerpt with the group.  The essay relates explicitly to occult societies, but the ideas seem to apply more generally.

(BTW, I see athiesm (strong athiesm, at least) as unnecessary, and wonder why anyone tarries there.  You can assume things exist without caring about them.  Magical Realism taught me that.)

Link (Pulled at random off of google--just wanted the word priestcraft): http://www.scribd.com/doc/11320511/ISRAEL-REGARDIE-What-You-Should-Know-About-the-Golden-Dawn

Quote from: Israel Regardie
An Order is simply a temporary vehicle of transmission —a means whereby suitable individuals may be trained to awaken within their hearts the consciousness of the boundless Light. But sooner or later, it would appear that the initiates foster loyalty to the external husk, the shell, the organisation of grades at the expense of that dynamic spirit for which the shell was constructed. So often has it happened in the past. Every religion stands as eloquent witness to this fact. It is the fate which has overtaken the Golden Dawn. Practically the whole membership is fanatically attached to individuals conducting Temple work as well as to the mechanical system of grades of the Order. But when this piece of teaching and that document of importance is withdrawn from circulation, mutilated, and in some cases destroyed, none has come forward to register an objection.

Its Chiefs have developed the tyranny of sacerdotalism. They have a perverse inclination towards priestcraft, and secrecy has ever been the forcing ground in which such corruption may prosper. Obligations to personal allegiance whether tacit or avowed, is the ideal method of enhancing the personal reputation of those who for many years have sat resolutely and persistently upon the pastos of the hidden knowledge. If by any chance the hidden knowledge were removed from their custody, their power would be gone. For in most cases their dominion does not consist in the gravitational attraction of spiritual attainment or even ordinary erudition. Their power is vested solely in the one fact, that they happen to be in possession of the private documents for distribution to those to whom they personally wish to bestow a favour as a mark of their esteem.