News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Migraines and Art

Started by Rumckle, February 19, 2009, 12:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

So I was reading this article today:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/science/what-pain-looks-like-20090218-8bkc.html

Essentially it is about how certain colour clashes, and harsh lines, etc can cause migraines in some people.

Which seems to me like it could have some potential.

Of course only roughly one in ten people get migraines, but still, interesting mindfucks or vengeance.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rumckle on February 19, 2009, 12:20:50 PM
So I was reading this article today:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/science/what-pain-looks-like-20090218-8bkc.html

Essentially it is about how certain colour clashes, and harsh lines, etc can cause migraines in some people.

Which seems to me like it could have some potential.

Of course only roughly one in ten people get migraines, but still, interesting mindfucks or vengeance.

Not much of a mindfuck. Vengeance maybe, if you email it to someone specific, but pretty weak vengeance if there's only a small chance of it having any effect. And that's assuming they open the email and load the image.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

My wife went through a period where she was experiencing some pretty nasty migraines.  They would actually cause numbness in her face and head.  She had one particularily nasty episode where she was having stroke-like systems and ended up being taken by ambulence to the ER. 

Taking something like that into consideration, with all due respect, trying to impose a migraine would be a pretty shitty thing to do. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Richter

They aren't something I'd casually wish on someone.
The potential to cause that kind of pain / debilitation against only a fractional segment of the population wouldn't exactly be useful either.  It'd be a disruption, certainly, but if it is not going to do much more than knock out an average 1-2 people out of 100 AT BEST, then little point. 
Using it as a tool of corporate infighting to reduce a rival office's eficiency over long term is the best I can think of.  Even then, debatable value.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Rumckle

Wow, fuck, RWHN, that's pretty harsh.

Yeah, mindfuck wise, probably not useful, unless maybe editing the article to get people to avoid all 18th century art.

Meh, I'm not one for much vengeance anyway, though does anyone know if DK suffers migraines?

ETA:
Also, the original article in the paper had examples of artworks that had caused migraines, those heartless fucks.

Xooxe

I get migraines without the pain or nausea (lucky me). Just the insane strobe lights like in your avatar.  :sad:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Xooxe on February 20, 2009, 02:24:36 AM
I get migraines without the pain or nausea (lucky me). Just the insane strobe lights like in your avatar.  :sad:

Right-click + "block images from"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on February 19, 2009, 05:05:59 PM
My wife went through a period where she was experiencing some pretty nasty migraines.  They would actually cause numbness in her face and head.  She had one particularily nasty episode where she was having stroke-like systems and ended up being taken by ambulence to the ER. 

Taking something like that into consideration, with all due respect, trying to impose a migraine would be a pretty shitty thing to do. 

are these the "cluster headaches" ?

cause what i heard from them they are so horrible, people sometimes bash their heads against the wall just to numb the pain.

anyway, apparently they are caused by an oxygen-deficiency in part of the brain, and apparently a simple oxygen breathing machine can elevate the symptoms.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

deviousMarsupial

In the scope of ways to deal with conflict, this is maybe one step up from red magic:|

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 27, 2009, 08:52:41 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on February 19, 2009, 05:05:59 PM

are these the "cluster headaches" ?

cause what i heard from them they are so horrible, people sometimes bash their heads against the wall just to numb the pain.

anyway, apparently they are caused by an oxygen-deficiency in part of the brain, and apparently a simple oxygen breathing machine can elevate the symptoms.

Hey, that's funny, when I get a headache in my studio sometimes I take a hit from my oxygen machines to make it go away. It works!

Rumckle

Quote from: deviousMarsupial on February 27, 2009, 08:57:20 PM

In the scope of ways to deal with conflict, this is maybe one step up from red magic:|

luckily I don't deal with conflict, I just stand it and get really bitter