News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

The 100 Greatest Books, according to PD.com

Started by Requia ☣, February 28, 2009, 10:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

I guess the question now is, do we actually try to pare it down to 100.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Phox

Quote from: BadBeast on December 05, 2010, 05:29:23 AM
Off the top of my head, I'd add
The Dancers at the End of Time - Michael Moorcock
The Jungle Books - Kipling
Foucalt's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
The Historical Illuminatus - R.A.W
The Ilead - Homer
The Odyssey - Homer
The Wasp Factory - Ian Banks
Soldier in the Mist - Gene Wolfe
Dan Brown - The Da Vinci Code

(Spot the joke entry?)

Clearly, you can't be serious about The Jungle Books.  :lulz:

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 05, 2010, 05:31:41 AM
I guess the question now is, do we actually try to pare it down to 100.

Why? Why not just keep adding?

Requia ☣

To start a fight over which books should go.  :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BadBeast

Well, we could start by splitting down the multiple volumes, into the best part. For instance, The Two Towers bit of "Lord of the Rings" goes on a bit about quite boring stuff. And "So long and thanks for all the fish" is clearly heads above the rest of the "Hitch Hikers".   
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Phox

And there are parts of the Martian Chronicles that I simply cannot stand.

BadBeast

Quote from: Phox on December 05, 2010, 06:08:02 AM
I've always found Ray Bradbury a little tedious, to be honest. Let's chuck the lot. Moorcock's "Dancers" should go in it's place. Plus it has the bonus of a really hilarious H.G Wells as a main character.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Placid Dingo

So there's 175 all together. That's me putting all the suggestinops in a big list

We could probably use this thread to crank it up to ONLY 200 and another to whittle it down to 100?

Sound OK?
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

BadBeast

Quote from: Placid Dingo on December 05, 2010, 06:19:55 AM
So there's 175 all together. That's me putting all the suggestinops in a big list

We could probably use this thread to crank it up to ONLY 200 and another to whittle it down to 100?

Sound OK?
Sounds good to me.

Placid Dingo

I'll go start the book murder thread.

Done ; http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=27616.0
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Triple Zero

I'd suggest we use an upvote/downvote system like Reddit has (meaning everyone can either give +1 or -1 to an entry, or abstain from voting about it, and then entries are sorted by their Lower bound of Wilson score confidence interval for a Bernoulli parameter aka clever statistical formula that calculates "expected" upvote ratio regardless how many votes an entry got in total)

yeah. but don't hold your breath for me implementing that, do it the easier way first :-P
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BadBeast

AFK

Quote from: Phox on December 05, 2010, 06:08:02 AM

That's because you are an unwashed heathen who doesn't enjoy good Literature.  And you probably like Pie. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

Also, Discordians trying to shoehorn a list into a neat number like 100 is kind of amusing. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BadBeast

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on December 06, 2010, 01:50:46 PM
Also, Discordians trying to shoehorn a list into a neat number like 100 is kind of amusing. 
I was thinking of maybe somehow re-quantifying the unit value of the decimal numerical system, so that we could increase the number of books on the list, as required,  yet keep to the "100" figure as a technically relevant parameter. But I'm not anally retentive awesomely clever enough to actually work out any details.

LMNO