News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: altered on March 03, 2020, 09:27:40 PM
Ska and I don't always get along but when we do, Bosstones are definitely fucking good stuff.

I'm an edgy bitch, I wish there was some shitty angsty goth ska. I'd be addicted. How have we gone so long without anything like that? Ska has distant connections to the roots of literally every angsty teenager genre, after all.

You would be pleased to find out about my upcoming project: Slappomattox Courthouse. It'll never happen, but imagine edgy, pro-Union punk-ska like Rancid. We skank around and just punch Confederates on stage.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

altered

Nu Metal is great. It's fucking funny seeing black and death metal artists saying "hey we appreciate American Head Charge and Deftones, actually." I'm so glad it's coming back, even if only as an underground thing. If you want some more edgy white boy music, let me know, I have about 30GB of just nu metal lurking in my library, and I'm picky as fuck with my music in every way but genre.

Quote from: Suu on March 03, 2020, 09:30:38 PM
Ska and I don't always get along but when we do, Bosstones are definitely fucking good stuff.

I'm an edgy bitch, I wish there was some shitty angsty goth ska. I'd be addicted. How have we gone so long without anything like that? Ska has distant connections to the roots of literally every angsty teenager genre, after all.

You would be pleased to find out about my upcoming project: Slappomattox Courthouse. It'll never happen, but imagine edgy, pro-Union punk-ska like Rancid. We skank around and just punch Confederates on stage.

I've had a horrible musical project lurking at the back of my head for awhile now: Ska meets slam death metal and industrial rock. Take mid-paced Suffocation style slam death, powerviolence vocals instead of goofy gurgling, turn the slams into skank beats with all the appropriate wobbly brass section stuff, and stack some bizarre malfunctioning electronic washes on top of it, Xaddax style.

I've cycled through a few names for it, but I've been really into Fraudulent Anatomy Jazz Orchestra lately. (Because I'm trans, get it, haha.)

Like yours, it will never happen because while I can do vocals and electronics, I have no ability to play instruments live. My vocal range is huge though, and I have enough stage presence that half the crowd's attention was on me at the Chemlab concert I went to (thanks Jared!)
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

LMNO

Specials, the Selector, Fun Boy Three. You could do worse.

Start with "Ghost Town".

altered

Ghost Town is a fun ride. Goofy Halloween reggae vibes. Not what I associate with ska, but good all the same, definitely. I'll have to check out the rest of those bands, but to be clear I was thinking something with about that amount of atmospherics and way more aggression.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO on March 03, 2020, 10:03:30 PM

Specials, the Selector, Fun Boy Three. You could do worse.

Start with "Ghost Town".

Seconding the Specials.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

altered

I think what it is is that this just has no venom or aggression in it, which is more what I'm after for that "ah yes I am addicted now" feeling. This is the softer side of ska. GREAT stuff to be sure, but I'm always more into harsh music, and I don't even know why. If there's no shouting or distortion it just feels like visiting a foreign country.

So I guess like... if you blended ska with mid 2000s hardcore punk? But also had that goofy Halloweeny vibe to it, that would be PERFECT.

And that's why I was pretty sure it doesn't exist.

LMNO

Well shit, that's all you had to say!

I present to you.... MEPHISKAPHELES

altered

:lulz:

It's so close! It's so so close! The guitar is slightly too far back in the mix!

But I gotta say, not only do I really like this, I EXTREMELY appreciate the tritones in the horn section during the first track. That immediately stood out and COMPLETELY changed the tone of the whole thing, worthy of much recognition and praise.

LMNO

Oh wait... Have you checked out Operation Ivy yet?

For some reason, I assumed you already had.

altered

Quote from: LMNO on March 10, 2020, 06:02:02 PM
Oh wait... Have you checked out Operation Ivy yet?

For some reason, I assumed you already had.

You would have been correct, and I absolutely love it too. (Good part of having heard it is QGP's husband: the man has good music taste, what can I say!)

LMNO

Suu

Bestie and I are launching Jimmy Cliff songs at each other via Spotify. He's on a plane coming back from the cancelled SEC tournament.

chaotic neutral observer

Warpaint - Disco/Very

I've got a friend with a melody that will kill
She'll eat you alive
Like cyanide
It's poison
She'll eat you alive

Don't you battle~
We'll kill you
Rip you up and tear you in two

Don't you battle~
We'll kill you
Rip you up and tear you in two
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.