News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Mangrove on April 20, 2010, 09:36:38 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on April 20, 2010, 08:38:01 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 20, 2010, 08:24:34 PM
It appears I inadvertantly downloaded the entire Arctic Monkeys discography.

Fuck me, these fuckos have a lot of songs.
First album and a couple of songs from the second are incredible. The rest is crap.

Love the 1st album - not heard any of the rest yet.

After extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that they have, in fact, only written five songs.  71 times.

To their benefit, 3/5 of those songs are fairly good.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Pēleus on April 21, 2010, 01:17:59 AM

Do they have any good songs outside of Handlebars?

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 21, 2010, 07:43:04 AM
What's that? What's a Flobot? Is that Brother Rabbit? (is he even called like that in English?)

I believe it is a bot programmed to flo. As far as I've heard it can only flo well in one song, but I'm hoping I've heard wrong.

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on April 21, 2010, 08:41:00 PM

First album and a couple of songs from the second are incredible. The rest is crap.

After extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that they have, in fact, only written five songs.  71 times.

When you have more time, please write a paper on their entropy. Will be expecting lots of graphs and algebraic formulas.  :wink:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: LMNO on April 21, 2010, 08:41:00 PM

I could see your band covering "Perhaps Vampires is a Bit Strong But..." or "The View from the Afternoon".
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Pope Pixie Pickle

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Vladimir Poopin on April 20, 2010, 10:58:43 PM
Quote from: EoC on April 20, 2010, 10:49:32 PM
Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on April 20, 2010, 10:17:44 PM
Aesop Rock - Five Fingers

Haven't heard that one, I'll have to check it out.  Aesop Rock is awesome.

As an aside, I will soon be listening to Modest Mouse and Wolf Parade at the House of Blues (separate appearances).  I'm moderately excited about the former, but really excited at the latter.

The whole None Shall Pass album is worth buying.

I have Labor Days, which I think is only okay, and the Fast Cars, Danger, Fire, and Knives EP, which I think is god damned awesome.  So I know you mentioned Danger Doom in the Top 10 Albums thread.  Are you a Dangermouse fan in general or just that album?  If you like his stuff I'm curious to know if you've listened to Broken Bells, his James Mercer of The Shins collabo, and if so what your thoughts are.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Juana

I Love You - The Dandy Warhols

aaaaand song change

Logistic - Indra
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

The Only Four Chords Needed For Every Pop Song (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/19/the-only-four-chords-need_n_543025.html

recommended. this was pretty fecking awesome.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 23, 2010, 10:54:52 AM
The Only Four Chords Needed For Every Pop Song (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/19/the-only-four-chords-need_n_543025.html

recommended. this was pretty fecking awesome.

It was a whirlwind of fuzzy, sugarcoated bubblegum Bambi eyes that made my ears puke rainbow colored unicorn sparkles.

:argh!:

I've been listening to Testicle Hazard and KK Null for the past half hour trying to recover from the saccharine hydra you just subjected me to.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

:lol: ... well ... the point was not to subject anyone to a medley of HFC sugar pop songs out of spite or hate, rather the amazement at that they all use the exact same 4 chords (probably transposed for some, so we're actually talking about intervals, am I right, music theory spags?).
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Seriously though, that was interesting. It makes me think of the overuse of orange and blue in movie posters.

When you reduce music or visual art down to its more simple elements you get chords or color combinations, notes and colors. But they still can be used in original ways. It's funny, but it's a limited critique. There's only so far that we can reinvent color or notes in music, you know?

Taking the idea of originality to the extreme results in music that most don't consider music and art that most people don't consider art. I find myself in the minority, but I also don't simply reject art and music for merely using a common element.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

Good point.

I was thinking along the same lines when I walked back from the supermarket to my house, "what if those four chords are just basically a result of western musical tradition and tone scale?".

As well as, while I recognized a large part of the songs, they hardly touched "every" pop song of the last couple of decades. So would that mean there are other sets of chords that are similarly (if less) popular? Or is the rest a reasonably original chaotic selection of palatable chord progressions?

And that orange/blue contrast article is very interesting :D Dunno if you caught it, but a little while back I re-modified part of the SubGenius "people people" rant into a super cheesy corporate-looking website [I was bored and it amused me]. I might have copied the colours from somewhere, but it's no coincidence: http://000.blackironprison.com :)