News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Suu demands to know what you are listening to!

Started by Suu, February 28, 2009, 09:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hanni

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 07:17:43 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 07:14:50 PM
Also, if it isn't "analog", it's not an instrument.  That is all.

Dok,
Was ejected from a Yes concert in 1984 for going berserk at the sight of synthodrums.

ok, so I have a synthesizer, 66 keys, that you can program every aspect of a sound on.  Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release, frequency, pitch.

While making those sounds makes you a bit more of a programmer of sound, does being able to play that electronic keyboard make anyone less of a musician because the instrument is electronic?

What kind of synth? I would love to learn but don't really know where to start (I play piano so know the gist of music- but synth is a whole different ball game)

Doktor Howl

Also, if it isn't "analog", it's not an instrument.  That is all.

Dok,
Was ejected from a Yes concert in 1984 for going berserk at the sight of synthodrums.

ok, so I have a synthesizer, 66 keys, that you can program every aspect of a sound on.  Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release, frequency, pitch.

While making those sounds makes you a bit more of a programmer of sound, does being able to play that electronic keyboard make anyone less of a musician because the instrument is electronic?

Yes.
Molon Lube

Hanni

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 07:20:47 PM

Dok,

Yes.

At least there's not a chance of grabbing the wrong end of the stick with an answer like that.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 07:18:45 PM

Dok,

What kind of synth? I would love to learn but don't really know where to start (I play piano so know the gist of music- but synth is a whole different ball game)

Piano = music.

Synth = programming.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 07:23:56 PM

Dok,

Yes.

At least there's not a chance of grabbing the wrong end of the stick with an answer like that.

Well, there's no point fucking about.

Programming != being a musician.  Programmed "music" is an abomination in the eyes of Johnny Cash, and come the revolution, the temple will be cleansed with fire.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 07:18:45 PM

Dok,

Korg N264..  it's a bit aged, but still does everything I want it to, and with MIDI controls you can plug it into anything else.  I've got it hooked up to a Korg MS2000 rack mount synth and ER-1 drum machine.

Dok,

ok, so I have a synthesizer, 66 keys, that you can program every aspect of a sound on.  Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release, frequency, pitch.

Yes.

AND DOING MATH ON A CALCULATOR ISN'T MATH!!

WHERE'S MY ABACUS YOU HEATHEN MODERNISTS!!
                                                                           \
:roger:

I somewhat agree with that last one, but felt like pokin some fun.

So umm, you don't like ANY music that is enhanced electronically?  Just sound waves produced from plucking strings on eukalaly's and hurdy gurdy's, wind through wooden tubes, or brass horns?
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Hanni

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 27, 2010, 07:25:49 PM

Programming != being a musician.  Programmed "music" is an abomination in the eyes of Johnny Cash, and come the revolution, the temple will be cleansed with fire.

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

They can't be compared because they are just two very very different skills?

Freeky

Dok,

ok, so I have a synthesizer, 66 keys, that you can program every aspect of a sound on.  Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release, frequency, pitch.

Yes.

Programming != being a musician.  Programmed "music" is an abomination in the eyes of Johnny Cash, and come the revolution, the temple will be cleansed with fire.

At first I was confused, but rereading the bolded made me realize he isn't talking about using a keyboard as a piano, but more as a noise maker. Is that what you got out of it, too, or am I full of crap?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 07:29:17 PM
I somewhat agree with that last one, but felt like pokin some fun.

So umm, you don't like ANY music that is enhanced electronically?  Just sound waves produced from plucking strings on eukalaly's and hurdy gurdy's, wind through wooden tubes, or brass horns?

Oh, I think a little enhancement is a good thing sometimes, for the same reason I watch bad science fiction/monster movies on occasion, or have a coffee down at the diner next to the bowling alley.  Sometimes, slumming is fun.

But programmed music lacks the tiny mistakes and eccentricities that makes real music sound like it does.  So it's "music" in the same way that canned laughter is "audience feedback".
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hanni on October 27, 2010, 07:30:59 PM

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

Nonsense.  Johnny Cash is the guy on the toilet, and programmed "music" is what he flushes.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 27, 2010, 07:32:41 PM

Dok,

Yes.

At first I was confused, but rereading the bolded made me realize he isn't talking about using a keyboard as a piano, but more as a noise maker. Is that what you got out of it, too, or am I full of crap?

That's how I understood it.

In any case, electronic keyboards are only suitable for bad 80s bands, like "Breakfast Club", or the least of Prince's artistic droppings.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

^this

you're a traditionalist Howl, I respect that, and even agree to a point.

and since appreciation of music is subjective, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's

I'll call foul though if you don't think that someone that can play an electronic keyboard as well as a traditional piano is less of a musician because of the instrument.

you're completely correct on drum machine programmers, even though you have to have an understanding of music and time to properly write a beat for the machine to reproduce.

but under your rule, electric guitarists would have to fall under this as well since the instrument is electronic.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Freeky

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 07:36:12 PM

Programming != being a musician.  Programmed "music" is an abomination in the eyes of Johnny Cash, and come the revolution, the temple will be cleansed with fire.

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

^this

and since appreciation of music is subjective, you're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's

I'll call foul though if you don't think that someone that can play an electronic keyboard as well as a traditional piano is less of a musician because of the instrument.

you're completely correct on drum machine programmers, even though you have to have an understanding of music and time to properly write a beat for the machine to reproduce.

but under your rule, electric guitarists would have to fall under this as well since the instrument is electronic.

I disagree with you on the electric guitar bit. It is a different instrument, and you actually CAN play it without an amp, it's just hard to hear. They and electric keyboards that can be programmed are nowhere near the same class.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 27, 2010, 07:32:41 PM

Dok,

Yes.

yes and no.

it will faithfully reproduce the sounds that traditional instruments make, but as Howl said, without all the idisyncrocys you get from a real instrument and unless it's using real analogue oscillators (rare, but can be found) it will not have the warmth and depth of sound, and be more digital sounding.

I frequently leave it set to the grand piano program though, so no, it's not just a noise maker.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 27, 2010, 07:39:10 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 27, 2010, 07:36:12 PM

Johnny Cash?
Oh dear...

^this

and since appreciation of music is subjective, you're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's

I disagree with you on the electric guitar bit. It is a different instrument, and you actually CAN play it without an amp, it's just hard to hear. They and electric keyboards that can be programmed are nowhere near the same class.

fair enough.